Did you know…

By Alec Meer on August 5th, 2007 at 11:23 pm.

Four days away from the internet means I miss two of the biggest PC announcements of the year. Bah. So, have this token morsel of factoid uselessness while I try and think of something cleverer to say.

Urban pop songstress Lily Allen, she of Smille, LDN and clearly not actually being a Cockernee commoner fame, played ‘Townspeople #1′ in Thief: Deadly Shadows before she shot to MySpace-assisted chart-straddling.

Presumably this involved lots of “What was that?”, “Must have been rats” and “Ooh, he’s got me purse” soundbytes – possibly a death scream if we’re really lucky. I’ll check later, maybe.

She also spoke slowly and clearly into the mic for both Freedom Force games (prior, lesser efforts from Bioshock devs Irrational. Which means I’m now oddly picturing Keith Allen inside a Big Daddy suit. Makes a lot of sense, really).

All this does, of course, mean her recent re-recording of Smile in Sims-talk was in fact a canny reference to the great debt her current success owes to formerly scraping a living from videogame voicework. And not just a stupid EA marketing stunt.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Si says:

Is it actually the same Lily Allen? IMDb lists two seperate Lilys, seemingly the singer, the said VA for Thief/FF. *shrug*

2. Cigol says:

The mystery remains but I’d hazard a guess it’s the same Lilly because the rogue listing has her down attending the MTV Awards which would be a bit strange for some disconnected voice over actress.

Gotta love ‘revisit a story from the past’

3. Kieron Gillen says:

Yeah, I was grinning at it too.

KG

4. Alex says:

Is she singing “harpoon your friends” in the middle of all the gibberish?

She could at least try to go subliminal.

5. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Well according to imdb she voices Charmaine in FFvtTR. Through some sleuthing (read as searching in wikipedia and youtube) I’ve found a clip of her in action. It sounds like a different Lily Allen to me, but you lot can judge for yourselves.

As an aside, the guy who uploaded that seems to have also uploaded the entirety of FFvtTR (including some pulse-pounding menu screens) in ten minute installments.

Edit: She also voices Law, whose origin can be found in the tail-end of this clip and the start of this one. Heh, I’ve only just noticed the post date. I was wondering why it wasn’t on the front-page.

6. MetalCircus says: