For those (not) about to BioShock

By Kieron Gillen on August 22nd, 2007 at 7:52 pm.

Well, there’s got to be someone out there who isn’t planning on going through Bioshock this weekend. I’m among you, actually. I’m instead going to be spending my time playing Guild Wars, as they’re having a preview weekend for their forthcoming Eye of The North Expansion.

Sexy.

While the game proper goes live on August 31st, they’re giving people who’ve pre-ordered the game 72 hours of running around and generally trying to power their way through as much content as possible from the 24th to the 26th. And, most importantly, all progress and achievements will be absolutely valid when the game goes properly on, so you’re not wasting your time. Clearly, this is an attempt to get as many pre-orders as possible, but that’s just a fine mutually reciprocal relationship. Arenanet get lovely, lovely money. You get to wander around the newbie zones on August 31st and wave your magical equipment at them braggingly.

That said, for Eye of the North, it’s worth nothing that the newbies won’t be newbies. This is the first of the Guild Wars games that is a genuine expansion – in that you need a level 20 character to access it. If you don’t… well, you should. Guild Wars is excellent, and if you haven’t already, I’d recommend you start at Nightfall. But if you don’t, there’s always that Defcon weekend. Or some other game.

Oh, we can’t escape it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Simon Westlake says:

What do you find to be excellent about Guild Wars? I tried it a few days ago and came away pretty unimpressed.

2. Nordhus says:

The World In Conflict demo is also due out this friday.

3. Brinstar says:

I’ve already pre-ordered it through the Guild Wars online store. I’m very excited for the expansion.

I might be able to squeeze in some Guild Wars time this weekend, though I’ll be at the Penny Arcade Expo, which is not a bad trade-off at all, since I’ll be chatting to the Guild Wars dev team and such.

And then next week is the full release! Good stuff!

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Kieron is a big Guild Wars fan. I enjoy it, but my appreciation is rather more limited.

5. Acosta says:

I tried to play the original Guild Wars being a WoW player and it didn┬┤t work for me, I felt detached from the world. I think that Guild Wars is more team based than WoW and I am more a solo player most of the times.

And is a shame because I really like many things of Guild Wars, especially its mixed class system. For what I have read, there is a fair chance that I can get into Guild Wars 2, something I will try for sure.

6. John P says:

I loved guild wars when it first came out, played through the whole campaign as a Mesmer with my mate playing an Elementalist. Such a BEAUTIFUL game, and the soundtrack by Jeremy Soule fits the aesthetic perfectly.

Alas, I lost my playing partners to WoW, and It just isn’t the same playing it solo. Bought Factions and Nightfall but never got very far without anyone to play with. Boo hoo. Woe is me.

7. Kieron Gillen says:

For a description of what I like about Guild Wars, I’ll point you towards my review of the first game:

One of the better things about Nightfall is your fellow adventurers. Rather than the mute and fairly useless henchmen, you essentially gather a party and get to fiddle around with their equipment. It pushes it another step towards a more trad single player RPG. That Nightfall has the best plot of the three helps here too.

KG

8. SwiftRanger says:

The thing most people perhaps should realise is that the Guild Wars games aren’t exactly MMORPG’s. GW could have been Diablo 3 in certain aspects (instances only) although it does add a lot of its own goodieness (extensive PvP, no levelgrindclich├ę but instead a cardgame-like skill setup which turned out to be one of the most addictive action RPG game mechanics ever).