Leader Of The Pack

By Jim Rossignol on August 22nd, 2007 at 12:24 pm.

Edutainment seems to have reached a new plateau of electronical achievement when Minnesota Zoo announce they are releasing an online wolf simulator. Wolfquest allows y’all to pretend to be wolves, either online or offline, learning realistic wolf behaviour like catching sick elk and howling.

Is this really what we want from our videogames? The slightly scary child featured in the video has clearly reverted to a feral state, like a keyboard-bound Mowgli… I jest of course: there aren’t enough wild-animal simulators, and I look forward to the day we can all play a bumblebee MMO.

This depicts the wolf urination menu.

Project Director Grant Spickelmeir says of the idea that games have truncated kids’ outdoor play activities:

As a former video game junkie (I can’t say current because having two kids under the age of five severely limits my playing time) and an environmental educator – I do believe you can have the best of both worlds. I believe you can use video game technology to create amazing worlds and experiences that can help players understand and interact with the real world in new ways. This is what we are hoping to accomplish with WolfQuest. If all players do when they finish the game is say “that was fun” and move on with their everyday lives – I won’t feel like we have succeeded. We want players to experience the world of the wolf in such a compelling way that they will be intrigued to learn more.

But don’t try running with a wolfpack in real life, kids. It’ll only end in tears/viscera.

WolfQuest will be available for purchase in December ’07.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Kieron Gillen says:

I always wanted to “be” an animal in a game, ever since Survival back on the Spectrum. FRANKLY.

KG

2. Acosta says:

I really like the idea, the name is a bit cheesy (the only thing worse they could have chose is WolfCraft), but the idea is really good, videogames should be about giving us chance to experience different things and there is a point when you get tired of your alter ego being a dark wizard or a Conan wannabe with a sword bigger than you.

But it has to be good, have a nice environment and a variety of “quests”, this is a game after all and the player needs to feel motivated. If the game is not good it won´t matter how original or appealing the idea is.

3. The_B says:

What’s that game where you can be a deer? This sounds rather similar.

4. The_B says:

Ah yes! Surely then the next step should be to bring the two games together, thus satisfying the insatiable need for violence!

Altough actually, it’s not a bad idea. Other than the deer will have a slight disadvantage…

5. Ferrous Buller says:

So Wolf is finally getting a spiritual sequel / remake? Sweet! Who doesn’t love wolf pee?

6. Schadenfreude says:

The new patch for Lord of the Rings Online will let you play as a chicken, with more animals being added in later patches.

Not a route I ever thought this license would take but could prove interesting all the same.

7. Miles says:

I have longed for a good animal-sim for a long time.

Does that make me weird?

(Reading the other commenters, apparently not! Huzzah!)

8. Gap Gen says:

I remember playing Badger Trails! http://www.teem.org.uk/1422/

(sorry this is quite old now…)