Blimey: Far Cry 2 Footage

By Jim Rossignol on September 7th, 2007 at 11:48 am.

So I was a little indifferent to the Far Cry 2 announcements, and then I saw this shakycam footage from Leipzig:

Thanks, Game Trailers.

All that, and no mutants.

EDIT: this doesn’t justify it’s own post, but it’s a very brief video of Gabe Newell talking about why the PC is awesome, again. And no Kotaku, Macs do not “rule”.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Mr Wonderstuff says:

I liked the mutants in Far Cry, they really instilled a sense of fear and panic – they also made a nice change from the mercenaries. Loved the mercs shouting “You in shirt!” at every opportune and, for them, inopportune moment.

2. Feet says:

Wow. My PC and my wallet weep.

3. John says:

For some mad reason, when I first read Mr Wonderstuff’s comment, I read, “I liked the mountains in Far Cry, they really instilled a sense of fear and panic…”

And I was completely ok with that.

4. Mr Wonderstuff says:

I’d be happy with that too, now where’s my handglider.

5. brian says:

Yeah, I really liked the mutants in Far Cry. They broke up the mercenary sections nicely, and changed the pace.

Without them, it would have become repetitive very quickly, and ‘FarCry’ would basically just have been ‘Project IGI 2000′.

6. Quinns says:

It’s super-aggressive!

Tell you what makes me angry. All that tech and yet, unless you’re riding a vehicle or performing first aid, you still can’t look down and see your own damn body.

7. Jim Rossignol says:

Aye, bring back Project Eden, I say.

8. Iain says:

The mutants in Far Cry SUCKED. It was at that point I stopped playing. I can’t abide games that throw in enemies just to sap your resources – I call them bullet sponges. It’s the weakest form of game balancing, and I hate it. See also: Big Daddies. Though at least they actually look cool…

9. Jim Rossignol says:

Far Cry’s humans were equally bullet-eating though – see the armoured dudes who needed half a clip to go down.

10. Iain says:

That’s not so bad if they actually give you ammo back after you’ve killed them – but super-tough enemies that require three billion rounds to kill and you don’t get anything out of the deal other than them being dead… Just, no. They’re just there to suck away your ammo to make the game harder… personally, I think it’s lazy design. I mean, what’s the point of having an FPS where you’re perpetually short of ammo? Are you making a “shooter” or not?

11. Jim Rossignol says:

I think you’re wrong there, Iain. Part of the thrill of that kind of shooter is having to manage your resources. Sure, it wouldn’t make sense in Serious Sam or Doom, but in a game where you’re playing with a more realistic, tactical bent, then limited ammo is a really good concept – see Bioshock, where making stuff and scavenging becomes important. Or Stalker, where your low resources only add to the tension.

What’s bad is enemies needing loads of bullets to go down – it’s just no fun to fight absurdly tough baddies, and that’s also a crappy way of keeping your ammo low.

12. Iain says:

Heh, I’m used to being wrong by now. It’s more the combination of stupidly tough enemies and low ammo I’m against than just ammo shortages in general. In BioShock not having enough ammo is almost irrelevant anyway – you’re effectively immortal. You could take down everyone with the fecking wrench if you wanted to take it to a ludicrous extreme.

Deus Ex is kind of the model I’m more after in games – yes, lots of variety in the toughness of enemies, but you’re also given the tools to take them down: rockets, EMP grenades and Sabot rounds for the bots, sniper rifle or LAM traps for MIBs, etc, and the management of those resources does become an important (and fun) part of the game.

Having watched the video – I like the look of Far Cry 2. It looks kinda like a next-gen Project IGI – and I loved Project IGI.

13. Quintin says:

Project Eden and, indeed, Starbreeze’s games.

14. tom says:

Hmm it all looks very hmm realistic… but is it me or does it just look like another FPS with yet more cranked up realism widgets. OOhh the hairs in the npcs noses respond to temperature changes built into the games weather cycle. Unless they dropped in some revolutionary gameplay at the end of the vid (I got bored tbh) it seemed like the same old shizzle

15. Homunculus says:

Project Eden, Starbreeze’s stuff and Thief 3. Which made rather a large pre-release deal of this, dubbing it “body awareness” and talking it up, I seem to recall.

I quite liked the look of Far Cry 2, surprisingly. It seems to confound the expectation of disappointment with sequel titles where the publisher retains the rights to a franchise and hands the successor over to a different developer than the original.

16. DuBBle says:

Well, I liked that you could shift from gunner to driver’s seat without getting out and ‘using’ your way into another position, and I liked the fire-dynamic. Otherwise, meh.

17. Jim Rossignol says:

I’ll try to post about why this is awesome tomorrow. Bloody sceptics!

18. CryingTheAnnualKingo says:

It’s been a while since a demo has impressed me as much as this one did…little touches make all the difference.

19. DuBBle says:

I’m sure you’d rather us be sceptical than accept every new game as the second coming. It’s the discerning eye that maketh the progress of nations, or something like that.

Also, turns out you can spell skeptical with a ‘c’ or a ‘k’. I learn something most sessions on the gizmoclicker.

20. roBurky says:

The map and compass is enough to convince me of awesomeness. I love anything that will replace HUD elements with physical things.