Disc-go 2000

By Kieron Gillen on September 17th, 2007 at 1:28 pm.

Possibly of use to one in a hundred of our readers, but we’re all about supporting persecuted minorities.

You dancing? You asking? You asking? Well fuck off.

Robin Clarke writes a little about the attempts of the community to make non-Windows 2000 supported games actually work on Windows 2000. He includes links to getting games as varied as Quake Wars: (“Enemy” – Ed) Territory, Bioshock, Command & Conquer 3 and Supreme Commander to work on the old System. He also wanders off on a little conspiracy theory and a little over developed sense of privilege about Relic’s lack of desire to talk to the community – never actually assign to conspiracy which can be satisfactorily explained by either laziness or corporate bureaucracy – but he’s got a really cute picture of Spec-chum hero Magic Knight as his website’s icon so we’ll forgive him.

(Only after all these years, do I realise that it’s possible Magic Knight’s David Jones may be the same David Jones of Lemmings/GTA/Crackdown fame. Anyone confirm or deny? Because that’d be awesome. I suspect it’s not, but still…)

EDIT: It’s not. Boo!

, , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Turin Turambar says:

Extreme Territory? :P

2. Kieron Gillen says:

PEGGLE EXTREME TERRITORY!

(Fixing!)

KG

3. Robin says:

“but he’s got a really cute picture of Spec-chum hero Magic Knight as his website’s icon so we’ll forgive him.”

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

4. Kieron Gillen says:

My favouritest Magic Knight game was Knight Tyme.

(One day I’ll write about the weirdo pre-Sierra British Graphic Adventures, and give Magic Knight its due.)

KG

5. Adam Hepton says:

I’m going off on a one-man crusade to complain that all my Wii games don’t work on my Commodore 64 now.

6. SCG says:

That’s a bit much, Adam. It’s not like the difference between 2000 and XP is even as great as, say, XP and Vista.

The one that really got me was C&C: The First Decade, in which the updated C&C and Red Alert required XP but the other, later games worked fine on 2K. Still, everything else about the bundle smacked of typical EA laziness, so why not fuck off the 2K users as well, eh.

*now has XP and was able to play Company of Heroes, thank you very much*

7. Sticklebrick says:

Sadly no, it’s not the same David Jones. I remember reading in Retrogamer a few months back that after Stormbringer, he he largely vanished from the games industry, but works in some other field of computing.

Mad props to both tho yo.

8. Adam Hepton says:

If somebody tried running a current title on a 486, we’d tell them that they need a current processor to run the game. If somebody tried running a current title with a Voodoo graphics accelerator, we’d tell them you need a current graphics card.

So why is it any different someone trying to run a title on an unsupported OS?

I’m not necessarily saying developers/publishers shouldn’t support Win2k, but I am saying that they don’t claim to support it, either.

9. Robin says:

“So why is it any different someone trying to run a title on an unsupported OS?”

Because the games I mentioned in the article all run fine under Windows 2000. From the perspective of a typical DirectX 9 app, the two systems are identical. It’s not the same situation as trying to run games on below-spec hardware. At all.

The point of the article wasn’t to demand that developers and publishers support a now commercially insignificant OS, just to politely ask that they don’t act like jerks to the few people who do still use Win2k (claiming their games are fundamentally incompatible when there are just minor API glitches, OS checks in installers, etc.).

10. Kieron Gillen says:

Sticklebrick: Thanks, but boo! I SEEK THE GREAT DAVE JONES CONJUNCTION.

KG