Do We Look Fat In This?

By John Walker on September 22nd, 2007 at 1:02 pm.

Well look here then. Shiny and new.

To celebrate our forty-fifth year of being online, we thought a redesign was in order. Gone is the mad explosion of cartoony boxes, and in is super-smartness like a new suit. No ties though please, we’re smart-casual.

So, take a moment to get used to the new surroundings. Yes, we know, we all fear change. But clutch hold of the person near you, and soon enough you’ll never believe it was any different.

Don’t forget, there’s still time to enter our epic Win A Hat Compo, where you could be the proud owner of a furry World In Conflict Cossack hat. We’ve had some remarkable secrets sent in already, some we’re convinced break Official Secret Acts in several countries, but still want to hear yours. So get over to the compo page and start divulging.

Thanks the size of a spaceship to James Willock for his ridiculous amount of hard work getting the site looking not only spick, but also span. Everyone immediately hire him to design your site, but insist on paying double. And in the meantime, stare in wonder at our pretty.

, .

1. dwm says:

Well, strictly speaking, you’re not supposed to serve XHTML has text/html. But yes, ’tis shiny!

2. faceometer says:

i preferred it when it looked shit?

3. James says:

No, you’re not, but if you serve it as XML you have to use the box-model hack. And it’s totally not worth it.

4. MisterBritish says:

You could use the box-model hack, but it may lead to singularities in space-time forming. You would be better of reversing the polarity of the flux capacitors.

5. David says:

Gosh this is all different!
    I suppose the old design is dead tho’? No chance of having a choice in seeing how RPS is displayed? No magic ‘old look / new look’ option?

/me ought to have dressed up for the relaunch.

6. Alec Meer says:

‘Fraid not. The old look is best considered to have passed away quietly in the night. It is a wee bit sad, as I had some affection for the old boy, but his time had come.
    We’ll probably make occasional tweaks to this template, though.

7. The_B says:

Very, very nice – although can I make a small suggestion, and ask if it’s possible to have some sort of “previous posts” link at the bottom of the front page, mainly for those who read the whole page, and either don’t have screen resolutions big enough to see the right hand menu by the time we scroll all the way down the front page, or those of us who just prefer to read continously without clicking on specific dates, if that makes sense?

8. nabeel says:

Ho man I almost had a heart attack, I thought you’d closed up shop for the split second it took me to realise the redesign. I’ll be honest, it’ll take some getting used to.

9. Feet says:

Nice.

10. bluespacetiger says:

It’s nice, but I feel it’s lost the homey feeling it had before. It’s like moving out of a small albeit rather run down countryside cottage into a slick minimalist city apartment. Seems to lack the warmth it had before. /rubbish analogies

Ah well, I’m probably delving into it too much, I’m sure I’ll get used to it in time.

11. Kalle says:

I have to say that this new design feels generic and dull. Boring colours and no sense of flair. The old design might have been a bit overworked but atleast it was fun and colourful.

12. Kalle says:

Addendum re: “Rock, Paper, Shotgun The PC Games Site”

The PC Games Site? You three are professional writers, yes? I can understand the need to have a concise message saying “this is what we do here” but come on, putting that as your logo, dragging down the awesome that was Rock, Paper, Shotgun? Have you no imagination? Dull, Dull, Dull.

13. Alec Meer says:

Hey all,
    Thanks for all the comments. Constructive criticism’s very welcome on the new look, which we totally understand may be a bit of a curveball to regular readers. Please be friendly about it, though. It’s still early days, and we four plus ultra-designer James are working crazily hard to make RPS super-ace, so simply shouting at us will make us sad in our poor, wee hearts.

14. Inflatable Moron says:

Colours and screenshots make me smile. Vast expanses of white and shivery blue make me glum. It’s not awful, but it is jarring. The side bar is far more informative and the Free Games box is a genuinely great idea. But i feel it needs more warmth.

15. Jim Rossignol says:

Kalle, we’re actually going to cycle through a bunch of comedy banners too – thanks for the criticism.

16. Kieron Gillen says:

(There was, of course, a reason why we launched at the weekend. Less people here while we work on the quirks)

17. Martin Coxall says:

I don’t like it. No sir, I don’t like it.

The old theme was warm and chummy. This one is soulless and corporate. And too wide.

18. Homunculus says:

Now, then. This sort of thing is far better for surreptitious work-glances.

19. Citizen Parker says:

Ahhh, this looks SO much better. Now my eyes don’t have to spout blood when visiting RPS. Keep up the good work, because this is seriously a great step in the right direction.

My only comment is that the title graphic, some of the fonts, and the sidebar boxes don’t look so great for people who routinely bump up the font size in webpages. But that’s quite a minor complaint, especially since this site handles it better than most.

20. James says:

Positive comments stop me committing suicide!

(I didn’t like the title font either…)

*eyes exits*

21. Mr Wonderstuff says:

I nice update…simple and unfussy.

22. faceometer says:

HOW DARE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING AT ALL GOD I HATE YOU ALL

PS. WII IS GIMMICK

23. John P (Katsumoto) says:

I’m behind Faceometer on this one. I’d also like to say that all pc gamers are nerds. Or something.

24. Duncan MacGregor says:

Nice, but could you add a left margin or padding to the post or entry classes in your css? Currently it’s hard up against the left side of the window and not very nice.

25. John Walker says:

It isn’t here, Duncan. Which browser are you using? It’s centred with both Firefox and IE. (You’ve made my day saying that though – I bitch and moan about sites being left on the left, and now I feel vindicated).

26. James says:

The site is designed specifically for resolutions higher than 800×600, so any browser would display it like that. I don’t think there are many hardcore gamers playing lower than 1024×768.

27. James says:

Also, after a few days, and moans have subsided and bugs surfaced I will chat with Jim, and much squashing of stuff will occur.

28. David says:

Well, the new design is beginning to grow on me.
    Does it also know that its days are numbered? That eventually it won’t look pretty enough and, like its predecessor, will find itself consigned to the great recycle bin in the sky?
    If it doesn’t, try to keep that from it – we don’t want the template getting all irrational once it realises that it won’t be with us forever and ever.

29. Duncan MacGregor says:

Safari 3 beta on a Mac (go on, mock me), and you’re right it is centred, but that doesn’t help if you tend to use a fairly narrow default window size.

30. Mo says:

I love the look!

The old site looked hacked together (probably because it was, eh?) but this one looks quite, dare I say it, sexy.

One issue though … am I missing something or is there no “next page” link?
    Looking at the front-page right now, I get articles from Sept 20th to Sept 23rd. Clicking on the archive for Sept 07 yields the same result. The only way to read earlier stuff from September is to go to this page:

Which I had to type into the address bar.

31. Mo says:

Okay, that *totally* wasn’t there when I last looked!

Being a bit nit-picky here, but the titles on the sidebar (Search for lost treasure, Play fun free stuff, etc) really shouldn’t be maroon. I thought they were links at first and was appalled when I found that I had been deceived. Perhaps colour it a lighter shade of grey?

32. Leo says:

How many comments for a week-old blog?

Anyway, this new look is the shit. And by the shit I mean just shit, with no ‘the’.

33. Jim Rossignol says:

Leo, don’t make me come over there.

34. Jim Rossignol says:

Mo, that’s a really good point. We’ll sort that.

35. Feet says:

The side bar doesn’t appear at the side on my IE7, it appears at the bottom, underneath the Next Page button (I have IE7 Pro installed if that makes a difference).

36. Feet says: