Counterclockwise

By Jim Rossignol on October 1st, 2007 at 1:53 pm.

A flashing IM tab appears on my taskbar. I open it to discover the message: “Seriously, have a play of this.” It’s a link for Counterclockwise – a Knot in 3D remake. My correspondent is correct. I should play this. I do. It’s awesome.

Knot In 3D was Tron lightcycles in 3D, as coded for the ZX Spectrum back in the pixellated mists of time. Counterclockwise remakes the idea with your cycle flying around in a looped 3D space taking on a rival chaser (you can only go so far before coming back on yourself) and your own trail. The space rapidly fills up, and you you have a smartbomb and lasers to clear yourself a path – there’s only limited ammo though, so you’ll need to do tricks and combos to keep your resources up.

I don’t think I need to say more other than to stress that it’s really good. Play it.

, , .

1. Carey says:

There was a game I featured in 101 that was much like this. ‘Snake’ in 3D with a big worm thing that had a human face. Brr.

Can’t remember the bloody name tho. Which makes this post utterly pointless :( Lost in the clutter of my 101 PC Games brainspace. So… many… games…

2. Kieron Gillen says:

That’s awesome. I recommend everyone plays it.

KG

3. tom says:

yo, you doods are sooooooo last year on this :)

Nenad was working on a pseudo Deathchase remake that was looking really nice.
    but then he went all buddist and stopped using anything with electricty (or something)..
    Shame, cos i was looking forward to it..

4. go says:

So simple, yet so fun!
    It would surely make a good multiplayer game.

5. Jim Rossignol says:

Note: RPS did not exist last year.

6. tom says:

Noooo!
    You’ve been PC Gaming since 1873!!!!
    I demand you write at least 50 articles for each of the intervening 134 years!

7. Jim Rossignol says:

I think Kieron is on course to do that.

8. Kieron Gillen says:

I’m TRYING!

KG

9. roBurky says:

This is a game you have to read the manual to understand. But once you realise you’re supposed to be spending most of your time performing tricks and doing your best to live dangerously, it’s a lot of fun.

10. Bob Arctor says:

Manual!
    Hah!

It reminds me of playing AVP, you just learn to lose all your sense of up/down and just whizz about insanely.

11. laptop batteries says:

We specialize in laptop battery,laptop AC adapters. All our products are brand new, with the excellent service from our laptop battery of customer service team.
    the most convenient and cheap replacement battery online shop in uk. We specialize in laptop batteries,laptop AC adapters.
    All our laptop AC adapters are brand new, with the excellent service from our customer service team.
    the most convenient and cheap battery online shop in uk.
    You can find some battery and adapter from here is very cool.

12. Perfect World money says:

Thanks to Perfect World money let me know a lot of friends.