The Complete Go Team!

By Kieron Gillen on October 1st, 2007 at 1:45 am.

The Class of 07

Since the Team Fortress Beta went live, the collective bodies of Rock, Paper, Shotgun have been running around with cartoon projectile weapons pretty much non-stop. When that “Pretty much” kicks in, we have a break and write about Team Fortress 2, just to mix things up and keep it fresh. The following are the nine short critical examinations (with gags) of the character classes that Jim, Alec and myself conjured up with special Word Science.

Part 1: The Heavy.
Part 2: The Medic.
Part 3: The Demoman.
Part 4: The Pyro.
Part 5: The Sniper.
Part 6: The Engineer.
Part 7: The Soldier.
Part 8: The Scout.
Part 9: The Spy.

When we finished what we like to call a “ultromegafeature” we thought an opening post linking to them all and introducing the concept a little wouldn’t be a bad idea. So we did one, and it looked suspiciously like this.

Go Team!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. dartt says:

This was a great series of articles guys. It’s been a lot of fun finding out what you lot think of the classes and then reading all the comments.

2. Crispy says:

QFT, anyone I know who is just getting into TF2 (especially those who haven’t played QWTF or TFC, or the new FF for that matter) I send here for a good read while they wait on their mammoth TF2 download.

3. Kieron Gillen says:

Our work here is done.

KG

4. Seniath says:

Aye, thoroughly enjoyed all these articles, they made an excellent read, as dartt said, both in the pieces themselves and the following comments.

5. Martin Coxall says:

Gentlemen of RPS:

Any chance of a quick straw-poll on your favourite classes? Top three from each of you would be nice.

THANKS LOVE.

6. Kieron Gillen says:

Soldier
    Medic
    Engineer

In that order. Demoman or Spy beneath them. Scout or Heavy beneath that. Sniper at the bottom. I have no problem with the Pyro, but I’ve still yet to play him, so he’s just above Sniper.

KG

7. Jim Rossignol says:

Scout
    Engineer
    Demoman

8. schizoslayer says:

Heavy
    Sniper
    Demoman

9. Martin Coxall says:

Heavies and Scouts? You people are REAL MEN.

For me, it’s (subject to capricious whims):

Engineer
    Demoman
    Medic

10. Martin Coxall says:

Guys, you should be adding “digg this” “reddit this” “spong this” web-2.0 spammery buttons. If I want to spew your content all over cretinous wisdom-of-crowds news sites, it is your DUTY to make my life easier. Oh yes.

Anyway:

DIGG THIS.

11. Andrew Farrell says:

Anyway: Sniper, Engineer, Demoman

12. Seniath says:

Pyro
    Pyro
    Pyro

Actually, that’s a lie. With the recent buffs, servers have been full of the Pyros, so I’ve been having a play with the other classes. My actual run down would probably be;

Pyro
    Engineer (but again, like Pyros, servers tend to be full of them)
    Soldier

13. Andrew says:

I’ve only ever seen you as Pyro, Seniath. You fixated person you.

14. Gulag says:

Pyro
    Demo
    Heavy

The Pyro is all sorts of burnination since the patch, and I’ve discovered the joy of the Demoman’s long bomb. Spiking the opposing battlements in 2Fort is becoming a favourite pass time.

15. Iain says:

My order of preference is Heavy, Soldier, Pyro.

16. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Medic
    Engineer
    Demoman

In that order.

17. Homunculus says:

Descending order of preference, natch:

Medic
    Pyro
    Soldier.

18. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Tricky, very tricky.

I can probably safely put 1) Pyro 2) Demoman, though it fluctuates a lot after that. Medic, Engineer and Heavy all vie for 3rd place really.

As I can’t aim for shit the sniper is out. I can’t work out how to play the spy properly and as im having so much fun with the rest i cba to allocate time to him, YET. The soldier I simply haven’t got round to trying yet!

19. Jesse says:

Would be interesting to write a program that takes as input your TF2 stats, reduces them a little bit, and spits out your Meyers-Briggs personality. I bet you could train an ANN to do it.

20. Gozer says:

He’s also said to resemble a Tusken Raider, or Sand People, from Star Wars. fire! fire! AAAHH!!

21. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Medic.
    Engineer.
    Heavy.

Truth.

22. Darius K. says:

Fantastic series of articles, guys. My favorite classes:

Heavy
    Scout
    Medic

23. CrashT says:

Spy…. Let’s me unleash my inner bastard, and somehow not feel guilty about it.
    Then maybe Engineer.

I’ve only managed to get TF2 to actually work properly in the last day or so though.

24. plasmafire says:

Sniper
    Spy
    Heavy

No I am not a demented soul.. I’m a member of PETA.
    How many of you have stood naked for 40 Minutes in the NY winter huh.. All for raccoons..

25. Seniath says:

“I’ve only ever seen you as Pyro, Seniath. You fixated person you.”

*grin*
    *twitch*

Alas, you wont be seeing me as a pyro again till thursday. My PSU blew up yesterday, which means no TF2 for me till a new one arrives.

Ofc the ironic thing is, the whole incident left me wanting to do nothing except set people on fire…

26. MacBeth says:

Loved the articles – main question is where did you get that updated group shot, as the slight inaccuracies on the older one I have on my desktop are just not on…

27. Kieron Gillen says:

I just nabbed it from the TF2 site. It’s not high enough resolution for a desktop though.

KG

28. Mori says:

Great series of articles on a great game. My favourite class by far is the pyro, I have too much time played on him for it to be healthy. Something in the order of 15x the amount of time I have on any other class :P. I’ve kind of switched to soldier though, because I couldn’t sleep one night due to team fortress 2 appearing the moment I closed my eyes.

29. Kieron Gillen says:

That happened to me this morning. I was in a half-awake/half-asleep state and playing Team Fortress on my eyelids.

I fear.

KG

30. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Valve have now put together a couple of TF2 T-shirts, the Pyro one is clearly bestest.

31. Alec Meer says:

I would totally buy a Heavy one if it didn’t have that crap on the back.

32. Seniath says:

Shame white really isn’t my colour :(

33. Aldrenean says:

Spy
    Soldier
    Scout

Beyond the spy, it’s really hard to list. My played time on Spy is more than twice my second place, but beyond that everything’s pretty equal. I’ve been warming up to the pyro a lot recently, and I sometimes do amazingly with the heavy. I also play Medic, Demoman and engineer a lot depending on the situation. I play sniper sometimes too, just to cover every class :P

34. MikoSquiz says:

Just wanted to mention.. this series of articles is what got me interested in TF2 in the first place.

Today I broke 1000 hours played.

Thanks, RPS!