Valve Compo: Post Your Apocalypse

By John Walker on October 2nd, 2007 at 11:20 am.

Lookee here. We’ve got a couple of hardback copies of Valve’s book, Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar, signed by Valve top-dog Gabe Newell. Would you like one?

In order to receive one of these rather weighty tomes, we want to see your own local City 17. Let us explain…

You don't have to feature a giant robot dog. But it would help.

Everyone lives near at least one building, or one patch of ground, that looks like the haunted remains of an apocalyptic attack. We want a photograph of the most derelict, wartorn, or ravaged-by-age locale near you. The two best, as judged by our highly trained eyes, will receive a signed book.

Email your entries to here. Keep photos under 200k, or you’ll break our email accounts. Or if you want to go high-res, upload it somewhere and email us the link. Closing date is October 10th. Get snapping.

(Rules: One photo per person – multiple entries will be ignored. The photo must be your own work – we have seen every photograph on the internet, and will know if you’re cheating. Real photos, no Photoshops. Don’t change the competition entry email subject line, even if you think it’s to something that will make us laugh until we’re sick. RPS’s decision is not only right, but final. We reserve the right to publish any photographs sent to us. If we ever see the books appear on eBay, we’ll post you our poo every day for the rest of your life)

, .

1. Gulag says:

I know just the spot. Dublin IS an apocalyptic wasteland!

/Grabs camera

2. Kieron Gillen says:

We have lots of pre-prepared poos in envelopes to send off too. Don’t call our bluff.

KG

3. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Closing date?

4. Babs says:

What if you die before me? Have you left a clause in your wills whereby cryogenically frozen (ie popped in the freezer in a jiffy bag) poos are mailed to my by your lawyer?

Eagerly awaiting your reply on this important matter.

5. John Walker says:

Babs,

Fear not – we’ve been storing our poo in envelopes for the last twenty years for this very eventuality. They laughed at us then. But who’s laughing now, eh? WHO?

6. Martin Coxall says:

What will you do if I stick your poo on ebay?

Send me meta-poo?

7. roryok says:

“I know just the spot. Dublin IS an apocalyptic wasteland!”

Hah! Good luck Gulag, I live in Sligo!

They filmed most of mad max here, that australia thing was just a cover story

8. just_finished_okami says:

I live in east berlin, so I’d be cheating, if I entered the competition…

9. WCAYPAHWAT says:

Funnily enough, I actually live not far from where they filmed Mad Max. You can still go visit the car (its gone to crap nowadays though), and the Thunderdome from Mad Max 3 (To this day, I still don’t understand why Tina Turner was in it).

On a side note, I think some runners up should receive some Fallout-y type prizes :D

10. Crispy says:

So, no post-processing editing is permitted in Photoshop either? Many professional digital photographers use histograms for colour correction and apply touch ups and so on to their pictures to enhance the work.

Fair enough if those are your rules, but how will you be able to tell if digital images have been touched up?

11. Alec Meer says:

Because John Walker is hiding somewhere in your house right now, watching. Waiting. Knowing.

12. Kieron Gillen says:

Never doubt RPS’ omnipotence. Or our omnincompetence.

KG

13. Mr Wonderstuff says:

*looks behind* *shudders*

14. Martin Coxall says:

He does that all the time. Just ignore him, got Rentokil coming round next week.

15. Cargo Cult says:

No destruction, but…

City 17! … Actually, just more Belgium.

This isn’t a competition entry, by the way. Got a copy of Raising the Bar already – have you lot been raiding the Valve swag-cupboard too?

16. Hamst3r says:

I can think of a lot of places like that here…but like hell would I want to go into them. They’re INHABITED.

Condemned buildings are homes!

17. Eric says:

Considering that much of Detroit looks like Ravenholm, this wouldn’t be very difficult at all. The only real problem is that those parts of town are too dangerous for me to traverse for this book.