Riot TrActors

By Jim Rossignol on October 6th, 2007 at 3:49 pm.

Inspired by the highly enjoyable Minerva, I spent a few hours this afternoon playing through Half-Life 2 mods. I was a little disappointed with the limited farming action in TractorSource, but nevertheless pleased that the ongoing intimate relationship between games and tractors continues apace. I look forward to the completed mowing add-on.

Far more satisfying was the single player Half-Life 2 mod Riot Act, which is set in Nova Prospekt at the time of Alyx and Gordon’s original hell-raising. You play as an escaped prisoner fighting his way to freedom, and fight alongside other prisoners and so forth. There’s a bit of shaky pacing and some annoyingly narrow corridors in there, but mostly the design is up to a professional standard. The scene setting visual effects as you fade in and out of consciousness in the opening moments are jolly impressive. Riot Act also boasts the third prettiest mod website I have ever seen. These chaps will soon be in gainful gaming employment, I’d wager. (If they aren’t already.)

, , .

1. KindredPhantom says:

“Third prettiest mod website I have ever seen”
    -Which mod websites are number 2 and number 1?

2. SteveTheBlack says:

I liked Riot Act, I gave it a little review on my friends website (to which my name links) and thought it was pretty cool, but there are a few niggles with it. Still worth a shot though, it’s nice to play a mod that provides a little side-story, I think it’s cool when people can slot an entire other story into an already developed narrative.

3. Cargo Cult says:

The first prettiest mod website must surely be one of the April Fool’s things I did for MINERVA an age ago. It was truly wonderful.

Other mods (links stripped ’cause they fell foul of the spam-filter – you’ll have to Google ‘em):

Day Hard – terribly buggy, with puzzles more like something out of a point-and-click adventure than an FPS, but chock full of copyright-busting film references, gameplay madness and even a spectactularly dim-witted and lecherous Jack Carver from Far Cry. You’ll either love it or you’ll hate it. I thought it was fantastic.

Rock 24 – rebellion in an island prison operated by the Combine. Pretty good!

Wivenhoe – insta-death stealth section! Apart from that, at the very beginning no less, actually alright.

Eclipse – definitely not HL2. Magical! 3rd-person! Criminally short, but quite good. I think it’ll still work.

Causality Effect – haven’t played it, but I’ve heard some people say it’s pretty good.

CSS SCI FI – Counter-Strike: Source! Except with the Combine as enemies. Single-player. Randomly generated missions. Apparently great fun, although I haven’t had a chance to play it…

Alas, no more tractors, but it’s a start.

4. cabbs says:

Cargo, that site combined with that music just cracked me up. Good stuff.

Ive played through both Minerva and Riot Act in the last two days, whilst trying my own hand at Hammer over the past week or so. The amount of effort you put into minerva, and the spectacular result, is truly commendable. Should I come across the chaps/gals behind Riot Act, I would put the same words to them.

5. Cargo Cult says:

I’m slightly appalled that I forgot Mistake of Pythagoras. Mathematics has broken! Giant numerals are falling from the sky! Complete Japanese madness!

Any mod with puzzles based around geometric proofs wins bonus points from me.

6. Germano says:

>>Should I come across the chaps/gals behind Riot Act, I would put the same words to them.

Here I am :) Thanks

7. Heliocentric says:

Tractor source chills my 5 year old son out if he gets annoyed playing trackmania. No objectives, no enemies. No time limits. And a half dozen tractors. Shame to tf2 cow didn’t make an appearence.