Eternal Flame

By Alec Meer on October 9th, 2007 at 4:33 pm.

Anyone feeling left feeling a little meh by the Team Fortress 2 Demoman video today may find their spirits uplifted by Lit Fuse Films’ incredible TF2 fan-film Ignis Solus. As I observed a while back, Pyro is lonely. So lonely. And this is how he copes with it.

Tragic, witty, beautifully edited and heavy with in-jokes on the nature of multiplayer shooters, it’s billed as the first TF2 machinima – and is hopefully the first of many. I’m pretty sure there’ll be some folks at Valve watching this with great admiration too.

Lit Fuse’s site is (understandably) experiencing heavy traffic and conking out at the moment, but here’s a low-res Youtube jobbie. For a big, shiny HD version – which I strongly recommend – trundle over here.

Thanks to reader Monkfish for pointing this out. YOU DID WELL.

, , .

1. CrashT says:

Pyro just needs a hug.

2. Lennigan 'Flipper' McNulty says:

I give this a FAMITSU of 39 40 40 40. I deduct one point cos it’s not Japanese.

3. Monkfish says:

Their site is getting a hammering at the moment – here’s a YouTube linkette:

But definitely see it in its full DivX’d glory if you can…

4. Nuyan says:

Pyro’s are soo adorable.

That cow part made me laugh out loud.

5. Thelps says:

I can’t make out what the Scout is supposed to say to the Pyro. Please someone tell me because I won’t sleep tonight until I know…

6. CrashT says:

What’s the Scout’s line? I’m assuming it’s one of the taunts.

7. The_B says:

Bah, I installed a random plugin for no reason. :(

Actually I’m not that bothered about that. It was a good movie anyway.

8. Seniath says:

Awwww. He’s so cute. I felt so sorry for him when the Scout started chasing him.

9. Alec Meer says:

Thelps/CrashT: I suspect it’s deliberately gibberish to emphasise poor Pyro’s loneliness. Just as no-one can understand him, he can’t understand anyone else.

10. SteveTheBlack says:

Awww poor pyro! He’s clearly in need of a group hug!

11. Andrew says:

Love it.

12. Muzman says:

Cute (could use a bit of a trim if you ask me though). I used to love the old lonely server romp late into the night. That aspect is well observed. (er, hopefully we’re all a little bit Pyro and I’m not some whacko.)

13. Cigol says:

Bless, that’s pretty sweet :D

Could do with a trim as Muzman says however. What I want to know is whether or not there was some artistic licence took with that loud speaker system – can we really use that in the game?

14. Proph3tik says:

That was so great! Thank you for sharing….I haven’t been on any late-night solo server fun in quite some time….I may have to tonight. If I can find an empty server, that is!

15. Cargo Cult says:

Late-night server fun?

In Day of Defeat: Source, I … erm … once eloped with a soldier from the other side.

I was Wermacht, he was Allied – it was an unrequited, fraternal love which transformed our lives, and brought an uncertain happiness to the devastated, static world of the game…

16. NightShade says:

Pyro is my favourite character in anything that I can think of. It seems odd to think that so much effort is put into NPCs in RPGs and characters like Alyx (who just annoys me) and yet I can fall in love with a character just for it’s presentation, regardless of how the player that controls it’s actions acts.

Everything is just so spot on for me. The physically appearance, the voice, the way he fit’s into a side. Just all adds to the tone surrounding him, one that can be universally understood and pitied. I have no idea if they intended him to be like that, but either way I’m glad he is.

17. Jachap says:

The Demoman video is just plain odd. All this time, I thought he was Libyan or something.

18. ndef says:

Trackback: http://softcore-gamer.com/blog/2007/10/happy-orange-day.html

“…By any measure, it seems the Orange Box is scoring high marks. To make your Orange Day celebrations complete, I’d also like to point out the first Team Fortress 2 machinima that hit yesterday, also brought to you by Rock, Paper, Shotgun. General agreement seems to be that it runs long, but it’s elegant and touching and occasionally pretty funny. I have a soft spot in my heart for machinima, probably because I desperately want it to be possible to put together a great film without a huge art budget, and possibly because I love to see what creative people can do with constraints. (My abiding affection for the Red vs. Blue series probably falls in there somewhere, too.) Certainly, TF2 seemed to treat this film well. I haven’t played the game, so I don’t know how the camera works, but I was personally pretty impressed by some of the cinematography that they pulled off…”

19. Martin says:

Brilliant!

The music was kick-ass and although the editing was a bit rough they did a fantastic job on the whole.

20. Zaptrack says:

Am I the only one who thought it a bit like the child being left home without telling him?

He seemed to understand getting the briefcase was a good thing. Perhaps he was in a 2fort game well into the night and everyone left?