Hyperbole Pick ‘n Mix

By Jim Rossignol on October 9th, 2007 at 3:02 pm.

This new video trailer for Crysis mixes developer Cervat Yerli talking fairly frankly about the game, with Microsoft and Nvidia folks delivering empty eulogies that seem to have been downloaded directly from MarketingBrain HQ. The footage has a similar piecemeal quality to it. There are man-shooting, grenade-lobbing scenes when it it looks like Crysis is simply Another Generic Shooter, and then contrasting scenes where you have to sit back with raised eyebrows and nod in agreement with Cervat: it does look a bit gosh blimey. Have a look for yourself:

Thanks Game Trailers, thanks.

Demo on 26th October, full game on the 16th of November, says Cervat. And my bank balance tells me I’m not going to be able to play this game with anything like the “fidelity” that will make it really impressive, whether I have DirectX 10 installed or not. Bum.

, , .

1. Kieron Gillen says:

I love the bit where he shoots out the car’s tyre.

KG

2. The_B says:

If you need more money, set up a Gaming Swear Box Paypal account on Rock Paper Shotgun.

“MEEEDIIIIIIC!” – 25p
    “Casual Game” – 50p
    “Peggle/PEGGLE!” or variant thereof – £500

Problem solved.

3. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Yea Jim many of us are in the same boat with this one. Read an interesting preview over at Gamespy this morning and it was pretty critical of the performance (although they go on to say how they are hopeful Crytek will tweak the performance).

I, for one, am going to wait a while when I can justify the upgrade (one game isnt enough). Fortunately I have a 360 which really helps soften the pain of not being able to play it on release.

4. Lennigan 'Flipper' McNulty says:

Il ne marche pas pour moi.

Man is annoyed by this. Is it shiny?

5. Thelps says:

As developers go Cervat Yerli seems one of the more genuine ones when it comes to interviews. There are quite a few video interviews of him online across various gaming sites and he rarely, if ever, descends into marketing bullsh*t and superlative platitudes. I just rate the guy for his ability to engage with the community in a manner that doesn’t seem patronising.

As for the announcement of the demo release date, it’s nice to know, but I have coursework due in on the 6th of November so the demo itself is a big no-no for me. My PC is pretty top of the range running a single 8800 GTX so it’ll be a new experience not simply going into the Video Options menu and cranking everything to full. I upgraded rigs for a single game myself, but it was Supreme Commander rather than Crysis. Crysis, however, looks to be the bar against which to measure hardware for a while to come though.

6. Alistair says:

That video is indeed a mixed bag – were we seeing the full 5 years of scalability there? Still, if there’s a demo, can’t complain. Helpfully coming out the same day as Jericho & The Witcher. Sigh.

7. Turin Turambar says:

Playing the beta, i can say the graphics are great… if you play it at maximum detail. Funnily enough, if you put the detail at medium level, it’s like Far Cry 1.5, but still needing a computer much more powerful.

And of course to play Crysis at maximum detail you need a highend graphics card in a poweful Core 2 Duo and 2Gb of Ram.

8. ryan in exile says:

GameTrailers says yr welcome, and keep up the blog.