Meet The Demoman

By John Walker on October 9th, 2007 at 10:27 am.

Somewhat bemusingly, the latest Team Fortress 2 class movie – Demoman – has appeared on GameStop’s wobbly website before Steam.

Ock eye the new.

You can watch Meet The Demoman here, in a tiny little window that takes a very long time to load. Or wait for it to appear on Steam hopefully pretty soon. However, we think it unlikely that the excruciating “Scottish” accent will be improved by this time.

Edit – embedded version:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Alec Meer says:

Well, that was deflating.

2. arqueturus says:

He’s Scottish!?

Hell’s Bells.

3. Seniath says:

Ye gads, two seconds in and I already want to tear my ears off.

4. Andrew says:

Nowhere near as good as the preceding ones.

Although I did like the line about being a ‘black Scottish cyclops’.

5. Seniath says:

Now that it’s finally loaded, I can properly comment; still quite enjoyable once you get past the accent, and I do love the look on the heavies face as he runs through the doorway and notices the sticky bombs.

“Oh, they’re gonna have ta glue you back tagether…in hell!”

6. Andrew says:

Maybe it’s partly that I can never get to grips with the demoman as a class.

I’m just waiting for the Pyro one.

7. MPK says:

Come back Shrek, all is forgiven. Jesus.

8. Gulag says:

Hmm, seems like they went all out for the action on this one, and it looks great to be sure, but the actual script is largely his taunts strung together. Not as strong as the Soldier, but I picked up a couple of tactical tricks so all in all good stuff.

9. Ghiest says:

Everyone’s a critic, supposed to be lighthearted … you know, a touch of fun. I thought it was amusing.

10. MPK says:

Oh it was funny enough, but that accent…at least he’s not a pasty faced ginger with tartan troosers. Although, better being Scot-ish than “from da hood” – hands up who looked at the preview art for TF2 and expected the black man to be a haggis muncher?

11. Dan says:

Loving the Google Ads for actual physical ‘steam valves’ appearing alongside this post.

12. Cargo Cult says:

Speaking of Google Ads – I saw one here for a laboratory robotic arm named OVERLORD.

Right now, there’s one for “Potatoe [sic] Processing”, from a certain EIMA Maschinenbau GmbH. Complete with fuzzy diagrams of potato processing production lines.

On-topic: a Scotsman … with scrumpy? Okaaaay… !

13. xeno says:

It’s on youtube and much better quality.

14. John P (Katsumoto) says:

there must have been an actual scottish person somewhere on the streets of seattle or wherever that they could have got to say the lines. I mean, that is literally the worst accent I have ever heard.

15. Bobsy says:

It’s weird. I’m pretty sure they have actors in Scotland. Why don’t they fly one of those over?

16. John Walker says:

Acting was made illegal in Scotland in 2005. It was some sort of measure to try and stop Billy Conolly.

17. Thelps says:

Yes the accent sucks.

No, the video doesn’t.

My 2 cents.

18. Schadenfreude says:

If you think that’s bad you should see what passes for an Irish accent in the new season of Heroes. Painful. >_

19. Alec Meer says:

As has been most of season 2 thus far.

20. Bobsy says:

Oooh good. That means I can stop watching Heroes then? No-one will mind?

21. Monkfish says:

Pure brilliance.

22. Andrew Farrell says:

Yes, that is definitely a worse accent than the Texan, GI, or generic Slav we’ve seen so far.

23. Nick says:

Dunno. The video totally justified the Demo’s accent for me after being iffy on it initially. Now if they can just do the same with the spy.

24. Andrew Farrell says:

(I wasn’t really being serious. I think it’s just that we don’t really know as many people with the accents that the others are trying to approximate. Or more accurately aren’t trying to.)

25. Andrew says:

I actually feel the Engineer’s Texan accent is pretty mild and understated compared to the boy-howdy stereotype they could have gone for.

The sniper and demoman are just awful on the accent fronts, although I do like some of their dialogue.

26. Pentadact says:

I would probably be more critical of the Spy’s accent if I knew what it was supposed to be. From the forums it seems many Americans think he’s British. Clearly he’s not that, but I can’t pin him to any one country – he uses both ‘prego’ and ‘merde’. Hopefully he’s just supposed to be a pan-European man of the world – the only thing that would make me wince harder than an Aussie unironically shouting “God save the queen!” would be if they thought those two words were the same language.

27. Arathain says:

“For those waiting for Valve’s “Meet the Pyro”, maybe Lit Fuse Films’ poignant Ignis Solus will help tide you over.

I really enjoyed this. Really captured the lone-man (or woman- who can really tell?) aspect of the Pyro that the RPS write-up talked about. As well as being very silly, of course.

28. James Lyon says:

Never mind the accent, what about the music? What the hell is that supposed to be? It doesn’t sound Scottish to me.

29. slightly_peeved says:

Funny thing is, of course, that a bunch of Aussies wrote QWTF, and two of them (Robin Walker’s one, don’t know the other) were pretty involved in making this. So it’s not like they didn’t know what Australians sounded like.

The only explanation I can think of is that the Sniper’s not meant to be an Australian – he’s meant to be a stereotype of an Australian. Hence the cockney accent and the “that’s not a knife, THIS is a knife” as the melee weapon.

30. The Sombrero Kid says:

hey I’m from Glasgow & I’ve got to say that people from Aberdeen do sound like this & he sounds more like them than Shrek, but I’ve got to admit it’ll always just be an American trying to be Scottish, but what else can you expect really, i thought it was good, not as good as the others though (I’ve been waiting for the steam version btw)

31. Martin says:

I liked it quite a bit but then I don’t know anything about Scottish accents so who am I to judge?

32. Headshasta says:

Yeah, the only two “true” Scotts I have ever meet were drunk at the time. Imagine that?!? But I couldn’t understand a focking word they said. So perhaps it is better that his accent IS bad so we can actually understand what he is saying.

33. P_R_O_Z_A_C says:

Umm… guys he’s a “Black Scottish Cyclops”… didn’t you hear the part where he goes all William Wallace and deliberately *attempts* a true scottish accent? He’s a man suffering from an identity crysis! It’s a parody – I don’t think the developers actually meant him to have a proper scottish accent!

The “Meet the…” videos are meant to be funny! If you’re hung on his accent… my condolences… YOU’VE LOST YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR!!! “…they’ll have to glue YOU back together… IN HELL!” *deliberately cheesy scottish accent*

34. P_R_O_Z_A_C says:

PS NOOOOOBS!!!!!!

(sorry… I’m going through a phase of my life in which I just can’t help but call people noobs… I’ll give you my wife’s phone number if you take offense… she understands and can counsel you through this difficult time :)

35. Jonathan says:

Reply to P_R_O_Z_A_C

Damn right, double dog damn right.

Seriously.