Portal: Bonuses

By John Walker on October 10th, 2007 at 7:49 pm.

Spoiler free, fret not. We shall be elusive.

If you’ve played Portal, and you’ve been very observant, you’ll have noticed some information the game didn’t do anything with.

If so, then you’ll know what to do when you re-visit the viral promo site of Aperture Science.

Type “LOGIN”. The rest you can figure out. (Standard DOS commands).

And enjoy. Thanks to Graham for figuring it out. (And less thanks to the site, for ignoring when I tried “LOGIN” earlier today, robbing me of the glory).

, , .

1. Kast says:

could someone spell it out for us thickies? :(:P

2. Brant says:

Cool that they have a tie-in for those of us who actually bothered filling out that online application form. I can’t wait to get home and play.

3. Chis says:

I presume it’s asking for our Steam user/pass? Comes up with invalid password with mine. :/

4. Cigol says:

If you read the article the username and password appear to be embedded within the game world. I kind of raced through portal so I didn’t take anything like that in. Hopefully someone can let those of us who missed this piece of information in on the fun.

5. Theory says:

I can hear the phishers drooling now.

I also missed the vital information. I’m not replaying the entire thing to get it!

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

i missed it to but can someone tell me are we talking about the thing that everyone figured out months ago or are we talking about a new thing?

7. Cigol says:

Thanks to Ben off Idle Thumbs;

‘cjohnson’
    ‘tier3′

It’s not really a spoiler and it’s very easy to miss.

8. John Walker says:

Or it’s a treat for those who noticed, and not for those who didn’t. So that’s a shame.

9. Thomas Lawrence says:

Hmm, I wonder where it was? It thought I was being pretty observant, on the whole. Was it something written somewhere, or was it part of one of GLaDOS’ speeches, or what?

10. Thomas Lawrence says:

Ah, never mind, it turns out I had looked right at it and just failed to see it as anything significant.

11. Kwan says:

I’m surprised PC Gamer only gave Portal 93%, which made me think it the worst of the three new titles on the orange box. But after being told to play it by mates of mine, I realised it was just because of the shortness of it all, and Tom Francis was truly right about the ending.

Portal is great.

12. John Walker says:

I believe Gamer gave it 92%. Which is, you know, AN UTTERLY MASSIVE SCORE! Very few games get 90 or higher a year. That it got 1% lower than Ep Two isn’t a slight against the game!

13. Cigol says:

Regarding it being ‘a treat for those who noticed’; I actually read a lot of the stuff on the walls in the first ‘secret’ room – so when I came to the second or third (I forget which it’s supposed to be) they reused some of the same textures/decals which naturally meant I glanced over them.

Does that not absolve me of my cheating behaviour?

14. John Walker says:

No! It means you were very, very lazy. And bad. Really bad.

15. Mario Granger says:

Amazing that I was praying that no one would spoil the game for me, and now that I’ve completed the FANTASTIC Portal, now I just one someone to spoil the hell out of that Aperture Science.com bit for me.

Is there another website I could go to that would spoil it?

16. John Walker says:

Someone already did, Mario.

17. Kast says:

I noticed ‘tier3′ somewhere… can’t remember where, but sounds VERY familiar, but not the cjohnson bit. Oh well, my bad.

And *lols* at notes.

18. RotBot says:

Also, THECAKEISALIE, for anyone who missed it the first time.

19. Bob Arctor says:

I logged in with Subject name… have to reread those credits…