Let Me Be Your Fansy

By Kieron Gillen on October 23rd, 2007 at 8:42 pm.

Pre-empting my Rainz was a Patsy JFK/Lord British feature idea, The Escapist has an interview with Fansy the Famous Level 5 Bard, the infamous old-skool Everquest Griefer.

Grief not yet thee be griefed.

For those not aware of Fansy’s infamy… well, get to the page, already. In short, on the original hardcore PvP Everquest server – i.e. anything goes – he found a loophole which he abused in such a dramatic way to make the developers pretty much change the whole world just because of him. Anyone beneath level 5 was invulnerable in PvP. So he headed out into the wilderness, and dragged back enormous chains of monsters to pound on everyone else, while maintaining a faux-naif personality in all OOC chat. Which he then shared with us in the aforementioned website. In any other server, he’d be a monster. In a place devoted to beating on people… well, he’s a little like the guy who would walk into Arkham Asylum in Gotham City with a portable Nuke strapped to his chest (While laughing). Yes, crazy. But – at a distance – a kind of admirable crazy. JohnH in the Escapist Comments thread sums Fansy’s achievements succinctly: “In a world made for griefers, Fansy succeeded in becoming the Grief King, and doing it in a way that brought to them a bit of that all-too-scarce commodity, karma. The real stuff, not governed by any game-tracked variable.” Anyway – read the interview.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. drunkymonkey says:

That guy is my new hero.

2. dartt says:

I’m just a fansy for your love

3. Thelps says:

Emergent behaviour for the win. Always nice to see things happen that the developers never planned for.

4. malkav11 says:

I love the visuals of an entire town littered with player corpses.

5. Nick says:

Ahh, back when Sand Giants were a common site.. I swear they heavily reduced their spawning at some point =(

Oh well, I don’t play EQ anymore, nice to see some shots of the old days however.

6. spirit7 says:

Indeed Nick, that entire article was a massive nostalgia trip for me. WoW never gave me the same memories or atmosphere as EverQuest did, I still miss it!

Do you remember the named croc at the docks in Oasis? And the spectres on the island?

RIP Denadiel, Paladin, Innoruuk.

7. Garth says:

My friend and I have attempted similar things in WoW, but as mentioned, it rarely (in fact, never) pans out. There will always be the fun we had when I’d summon an Infernal in Darkshire, and we’d sit on top of a house healing it…

8. Galan Amarias says:

The named croc in oasis was Lockjaw.

Fancy is my MMO hero. I still invoke the Skittle defense on ocasion. For my money Wow’s biggest mistake was making it near impossible to speak to the other team.