Crysis: Don’t Play It Drunk

By Alec Meer on October 27th, 2007 at 6:15 pm.

Why? Because doing this just made me scream and run out of the room in big-girl’s-blousey fear:

Casually carrying around a half-dead Korean chap by the neck for five minutes, and seeing his eerily well-rendered face sporadically contort in absolute terror (procedurally-generated absolute terror, it’s rumoured) is surely a frightening experience whilst entirely compos mentis. Doing it whilst several sheets to the wind is like a nightmare made real. That face, oh God, that face…

It’s certainly fine work on Crytek’s part in terms of adding a certain sense of consequence to traditional FPS violence. I don’t, however, thank them for the next fortnight of sleepless nights I’m going to suffer as a result.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. drunkymonkey says:

Good grief, as I haven’t really been paying attention to Crysis coverage, having a PC that will not run it, I didn’t know the level of immersion was that much… I’m assuming you can throw that poor chap around to kill him?

2. Alec Meer says:

Yeah. I eventually freaked out and hurled him away from me, inadvertently killing two other guys in the process.

3. Mr Wonderstuff says:

What spec are you running it at Alec?

4. Alec Meer says:

2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad and one 640Mb 8800 GTS. It’s playable but a little sluggish and occasionally jerky with everything on high and no AA, which only added to the inebriated surreality of the experience.

5. feffrey says:

@ Alec Meer
    Ur kidding??? that is what I am planing to upgrade my computer to and it is sluggish at times??
    yikes!

6. Icupnimpn2 says:

I’m running the demo on an Athlon 64 X2 dual-core 5000+ under Vista 32 with 3 gigs of ram and an overclocked 8600 gt. So my specs aren’t quite where Alec’s are. Still, I’d say performance is worse than it should be at 1,200 x 800 widescreen. Disappointing framerate with everything set to medium and no AA.

Bioshock runs so much more smoothly with details set nice and high. My setup is relatively new but I’ve tried lots of games on it. Modern Warfare demo runs great, so does Enemy Territory, and just about everything else.

Right now, I’d say Crysis is not worth playing on my machine.

7. Icupnimpn2 says:

I’m sure you all know I meant 1,280. I mean, what kind of freak plays with a resolution of 1,200? Color me embarassed.

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

on full though, i shoud point out i’m running it with everything at the bottom on a X2 4000, 6800, 1.5gb ram and it still looks better than anything i’ve played graphics wise, with pretty muchh perfect smoothness

9. Chis says:

Anyone managed to get AA to work? I can’t, forced or not.

I’ve just tried overclocking my E2160. Currently stable at 2.7GHz (stock is 1.8, I’m in no hurry to push it any further as all the other games I play are fast enough), paired with a Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB I’m getting a somewhat better experience than Alec, I think. Medium settings (high tex, high char), gameplay is smooth but there was some jerking around during the intro.

Finding it hard to tolerate the lack of AA though.

10. Tr00jg says:

Maybe it is just me, but I am getting tired of these “moral” decisions in games. Gosh, I just wanna have fun for crying out loud. Is that too much to ask?

11. Tom says:

nothing special is it though. I’m playing on 8800GTX, 2Gigs, C2Q6600, Vistax64, set to high, and it’s not the most playable experience I’ve ever had. Admittedly I’m running at 1920×1200 which may have something to do with it. I knew I’d regret buying this 24″ LCD in the short run (yes, short run).
    Ahwell, it hasn’t struck me as anything special… gonna wait for some reviews.
    Right now I’m playing BioShock again in DX9 so I can have all the glorious FSAA in the world and dear god what a difference it makes! Looks gorgeous.

12. Tom says:

*EDIT* … not the most playable…

P.s: Glad to see I’m not the only sado sat at home on a saterday night.

13. Icupnimpn2 says:

Although I have an 8600 instead of an 8800, I’m starting to think I should be seeing better performance than I am. :(

14. The Sombrero Kid says:

check the specs of the gfx card theres no point in playing any half decent game on anything less than an 8800 gts (& tbh your a cheepo if you don’t fork it out just now they’re cheep as chips :P)
    & i think it’s actually really fun no game has nailed just simply fun killing people since the tremendously under rated Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
    It’s far cry with all the crap bits removed (apparently although that zero g bit looked questionable) and extra fun combat

15. Little Green Man says:

Yeah I got a C2E6320 OC’d to 2.69 GHz and a 8800GTS 320, would that be enough?

16. Little Green Man says:

Oh yeah only running at 1280 by 800 or whatever it is

17. The Sombrero Kid says:

yeah based on the way mines runs i reckon at low resolutions that should be fine, assuming you’ve got more than a gig ram

18. Chis says:

Antialiasing requires shaders to be set to high, in advanced graphics settings. And oh how gorgeous it looks.

19. Pentadact says:

I found the Surprised Korean Guy a rather comforting presence. I tried to see how far I could take him:

20. drunkymonkey says:

I like the over-usage of the word “Surprised” in that article, especially “roaming the beaches for things to find surprising.”

Good stuff.

21. Mario Granger says:

I didn’t realize how much like FarCry they were making Crysis. Its quite literally the same exact game.

Have to admit I found the demo dreadfully boring.

22. Chis says:

Pentadact, cheers for that. This is quite different from FarCry in gameplay, and not boring at all, as you found. But they made the stealth option a bit too easy, even on the highest difficulty.

23. Mario Granger says:

I can respect your feeling Chis, just saying how I felt after playing. I’ll give it another go ahead tomorrow, maybe I may enjoy it more.

24. Sire404 says:

I played Crysis when I got home late from a party this weekend, and when I started it up the next day I was on a completely different part of the island, with blood on my hands, and couldn’t remember how I got there. Awesome game :)