Today’s Weighted Companion Cube Post…

By Alec Meer on October 29th, 2007 at 10:28 pm.

…is the Weighted Companion Cube Post about the Weighted Companion Cube pumpkin.

(Click for more). Especially apt, of course, because it involves burning. Well done, expert pumpkin-carver-man Jimbojw.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Evo says:

Mmmm Halloween Companion Cubes :D

2. Thelps says:

And the Nobel Prize goes to…

3. wichenroder says:

RPS is my new favorite game blog, with some of the better game journalists brought together in one place and a sense that writing about games might begin to approach writing about other forms of cultural expression.
    Any chance though you could turn the dork control down a little? The intertron is overflowing with ‘game reference mashed with anything = blog post’ and it’s embarrassing and stupid. Let’s rise above the machine gun giggles.

4. Alec Meer says:

If we like something, we’ll post it. If you don’t like it, please just ignore it and read the next post instead; there’s no need to be mean. One of the reasons we really enjoy making this place is that we can happily slot the silly alongside the longform cleverthinks.

5. drunkymonkey says:

And I for one am a happier reader because of that!

I wonder if anyone will bother modding the Companion Cube model in-game… I hope not.

6. Brant says:

That’s no cube, it’s a sphere in disguise! Hisssssss!

7. King Awesome says:

“Any chance though you could turn the dork control down a little?”

Forever no.

To deny gaming its true dork-tastic roots would just come across as super fake. The very last thing we need is for this place to let Kieron’s darkest arthouse lust off its leash and run rampant across its innocent geeky pages.

At least not more than once or twice a week anyway.

8. Kast says:

0.0 I resolve to make steal this idea!

9. Man Raised By Puffins says:

He’s done a nice job on that, but I find this one several shades more impressive.

10. wichenroder says:

ok ok!! dork yourselves silly. but don’t come crying to me when you find yourself LARPing in the middle of a field thinking you’re having a really great time being a part of something big with an animal skin wrapped around your ass, when actually you’re just very very lost.. in that field, and you’ve just stepped in cow shit.

I would argue, and I’m not being mean, that the unthinking embrace of everything smelling of gaming’s dork-tastic roots is something that’s holding gaming back.

I await the day when middleware platforms are stable, versatile and user friendly enough that other demographics can steer the ship for a while.

11. drunkymonkey says:

“thinking you’re having a really great time”

Surely thinking you’re having a really great time is the same as having a really great time?

@Puffin Child: That one’s too showy!

12. Junior says:

Aww Man, I did a really cool one too! But the picture is stuck forever on my phone, Damn you bluetooth!

But seriously, is the WCC the most popular game character of all time?

13. jimbojw says:

Hey d00ds – thanks for giving my pumpkin some more press. Given the veritable plethora of other great Portal and WCC pumpkins out there, I may have to have another go at it …

Oh, and by the way, the cake is a LIE!

14. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@Puffin Child: That one’s too showy!

Piffle! It’s being flirty showing two faces, but keeping its modesty intact by not exposing a third!

Also, I’d really like to see a WCC made from one of these. Although I believe they’re a touch expensive, and also Japanese.

15. Janek says:

Watermelon Companion Cube! That would indeed be awesome. The carefully exposed innards would be the right colour and everything.

16. Armydillo says: