Crysis Crisis Deepens

By Alec Meer on October 31st, 2007 at 4:49 pm.

Either Crytek are quietly trying to cause no end of hell for EA, or the wrong Crysis demo got released and there are a whole lot of panicking, screaming, crying German developers right now.

First, the script for the entire game was discovered lurking in the demo files. Then a simple config file edit activated supposedly DirectX 10 and Vista-only graphical effects in DirectX 9 and XP. And now, someone faffing about with the bundled level editor has managed to dump a load of good stuff from later in the game into the demo map and make it playable. To find out how, what, who and wither, you’ll have to read on…

What’s in there? Guns. Lots of guns – the game’s entire repertoire (as well as an impressive selection of various explosives), it appears. Tanks, boats, assorted military vehicles and ridiculously powerful helicopters (which handle a little like Battlefield’s, and are hilarious overkill against the still popgun-armed Korean dudes). And one of the much-mooted aliens. If you want an early taste of what these flying tentacle laser-horrors are like to fight, and how the game’s human NPCs react to them, this’ll do it. Oops.

You want ‘demofunmap #5′ from here, the work of canny German modder siLe`. Extract the level.pak file and dump it into C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Levels\island. Either overwrite the exisiting level.pak in there, or rename it to something with a different extension (e.g. .old) if you don’t wanna have to reinstall the demo later.

Then, start a new game in the demo (yes, you’ll have to do the cutscene’n'parachtute drop hoopla again) – be warned that apparently it only works on the Normal difficultly setting – and keep playing until the bit where you find your mate all Predatored up in the trees. Start following the objective arrow, and you’ll soon find a table full of a goodies, and an angry alien in the skies. Just beyond the table is an enemy encampment, and a short run to the left of that is vehicle and many-gun heaven. Clearly, this may spoil some of the full game for you. But in the relatively open environment of the demo’s island map, it allows for mega-playtime. Be warned that approaching the centre of the map in a chopper triggers the final cutscene and ends the demo, though.

Thanks to Gestalt for pointing this out, and apologies for not noticing sooner.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Martin says:

All these vehicles and weapons have been available for over a month in the MP Beta anyway… :-\

2. IronNads says:

Is there any benefit from 4gig/64bit (Vista) set up or not??
    Cheeries.

3. Gizm says:

Heh.. I remember at least one demo some years back that shipped bundled on a forgotten realms anthology CD, with the sourcecode for the game in a subfolder.

4. sean sean says:

5. joe says:

[quote]Crysis. lol dont understand the fuzz about that game. Only thing that makes masses to turn their heads is graphics. silly.[/quote]

have you played the demo? doubt it. Crysis is an awesome PC game I would actually buy this game rather all the other turd games like cod4 which was exactly like cod2 nothing new…

6. czod says:

I am on XP, does this freak of nature map work witih XP as well as Vista??. Have downloaded correct file (5) , and installed pak file to correct place, started new game ,but can i find any new weapons or vehicles I THINK NOT. Maybe one needs a lawnmower to cut the grass first! Or is this a wind up.

7. harrison schaerr says:

so, dx10 turned out to be total bullshit then? =) it runs on vista ahha a=)

8. harrison schaerr says:

and xp ahahha!

9. STEVE says:

The weapons and vehicles are on the beach next to the enemy radar station–you can’t MISS IT!

10. what says:

i tried downloading the demomap fun file # 5 and saving it as level.pak not .rar in the island folder after taking out the original level.pak and it wont work
    i start a new game and the screen is just black , music plays but it doesnt go to the loading screen??????

11. dl says:

i also cannot find those weapons and vehicles.

i have seen in some trailers that we can throw an enemy away under strength mode, how can i do this?

12. czod says:

Many Thanks to STEVE and JONRICO. Found weapons at last like you said on beach to left of Radar Jamming m/c, but I had left a copy of the original pak file in the folder and although i had renamed it, it was ‘still’ being picked up instead of the modded pak file. Even though i run a 9800pro with all low except for ‘mid’ textures the ‘nuke’ effect fired by a tank has to be one of the most amazing sights i have witnessed in all my years of gaming.

13. bob says:

they did it on purpose FYI

14. Obi_Kwiet says:

The nuke tank isn’t a spoiler, it’s how you end MP games. I’m 100% sure it’s not in the single player, as that a several other weapons are MP only, simply because the MP takes place after the invasion with some getto rigged alien tech.

15. David says:

Hey how do you kill the alien floating in the sky? I keep shooting at it but it still follows me everywhere and killing me every time.

16. Niels Madsen says:

Just pick up the gauss gun and give it a couple of hits, it won’t annoy you anymore.

17. HELP says:

YA I DID EVERYTHING BUT WHEN the game goes to the loading screen its just black …. nothing plz HELP

18. STEVE says:

Make sure you shoot the alien down over enemy territory; I had the misfortune of killing that SOB over my head and it came crashing down on my vehicles taking out 3 of them.

19. Miles says:

omg theres another miles!!!! :O i thaught i was the only 1 lol…. how do you place the nuke tank in the editor? :D

20. Trent says:

Hey check out….

Skydive Melbourne

21. Great White Snark says:

DL permissions for the original link for Demo Funmap #5 seem to have been turned off. :(

Anyone have an alternate link? Many thanks in advance…

22. Darkdashing says:

No, it works, just click the links and enter the code to download from that link, I just did.

23. Doug says:

Found evrything but the nuke tank. Where is it located?

24. Stu UK says:

Is anyone else experiencing 5k/sec download? Goddamit, 3 hours untill i can attempt to dive bomb the attack boats!

25. Great White Snark says:

So, I enter the download code to start downloading the funmap #5 file, but I get a “Forbidden. You do not have permission to access this document.” error.

Is no one else having this problem? I’ve tried it from two computers in my household, so maybe I have an undesirable IP address. :(

26. Idlepimp says:

don’t enter the code, highlight it, and then drag it to the form where you’d type it, then you can’t get it wrong.
    if you still get the “Forbidden” message, try setting your browser security/privacy to default/medium

27. Great White Snark says:

Nope, neither of those is the problem. I’ve already tried on three different browsers (IE, FF, Saf) on different computers. I’m starting to wonder if the site has a problem with Comcast for some reason? (Or maybe I just like blaming everything on Comcast…)

Does anyone know of an alternate download site for the #5 Funmap? I hate missing out on all the fun…

28. wingfoot1 says:

Go here for the file download the torrent file at the bottom http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1411979/6976998

29. crysis master says:

fyi, pressing the left alt skipped through the cut scene for me, idk if it will work for everyone else but its worth a shot.

30. crysis master says:

scratch that, the spacebar does it.

31. Lasher says:

I played the beta, and all of the weapons and viechles were in that, except for the helicopter and VTOL. Tac Launcher is a good weapon, remember to hold down fire to bring up a targetter to make sure it goes where you want it to.

do you get the MOAC and MOAR in the demofunmap? btw, the alien in the sky, is it a hunter, or just a normal alien thingy. cheers.

32. Lasher says:

p.s I think I’m gunna wait for the full game to come out, playing the beta pretty much burnt me out entirely of the multiplayer, and it took me 5 days to finish the demo purely beacause I couldn’t be fucked to play the game. Don’t get me wrong though, I love it, and I’ll relish the opportunity to show my console loving fanboy bitch friends what a real game looks/plays like, but I can’t be arsed with multiplayer, I’ve preordered the game, but apparently Fairlight will have the full version cracked and uploaded within a few days, So I’ll download it as soon as it appears.

but I’m still gunna buy it, beacause crytek have proven to me, twice both in the beta and in the demo thatn they’ve made something special and deserve to be paid for it.

33. O RLY? says:

I tried to download but, it said it was forbidden and I wasn’t allowed to access it :(

34. billybobboon says:

on windows vista it only seems to work useing the 32 bit exe found in the bin folder in its main directory

35. Rainman says:

O RLY?, are you trying to DL it from the german site? I had the same trouble on that website. The link wingfoot1 left has another link in it that lets you torrent the map from demonoid. just look near the bottom of the first post and there should be a link that says “download this torrent” or something like that, I cant get the exact wording because I am on a work PC and the link is blocked here at work

36. Rainman says:

Billybob,

Run the game in 32bit and uncheck the fullscreen mode. Save the optinos and exit, then go ahead and start the 64bit version, should run for ya then

37. Korin530 says:

It won’t let me download #5 i have tried multiple times….If anyone knows of a different place to acquire it that would be awesome

38. Ohais says:

yeah i cant figure out how to download it either

39. Omega Nexus says:

hey.. i try to download it but i dont get a forbidden… some unlegible text pops up with a button with i think says go back.. also i have translator on so.. can someone just post this on megaupload or something and give me the link? thanks! respond to this (if you can email respond)

40. lolerkthx says:

A torrent would be nice, it seems as though no one can download it due to the fact that the German site is giving “forbidden” messages and demonoid is down. Thanks in advance.

41. EGirgehatt says:

german site seems to be working again. i just downloaded both of the maps.

42. Cinder says:

Not working for me, it gives a Forbidden whatever method I use to copy that password in the text input box.
    Does anyone have a mirror URL, or have it uploaded to something like megaupload?

43. Cinder says:

What do you do with that .blogspot_1_ file?

44. Omega Nexus says:

Cinder.. im downloading it now.. if it works.. i wana fucking hug you! why is the greatest demo map only out on a site that seems not to work for my comp.. but shining hope has come!

45. Arunhil says:

Looks like I am the third person in this blog to encounter a black screen while loading. Annoyingly I can’t seem to check out this wonderful demo everyone is talking about. Don’t suppose anyone has any ideas on this? PS. Appears to be doing something as CPU is quite high and there are odd snippets of sound.

46. Omega Nexus says:

well arunhill you arent alone.. i just got black screens allover the fucking place.. anybody have a fix for that? ill try “running as admin” now… 5 mins later: ok.. that doesnt work.. some one please get a fix fer this ty! XD

47. AzuranZara says:

Damn thx for the heads up. I’m definitely taking another look at Crysis Demo (*before my game comes in the mail). The idea of stalking Koreans in a heli comes to mind ^^z