Mass Murderer Goes Free

By Alec Meer on November 1st, 2007 at 2:09 pm.

This old games for free trend is something I endorse as wholly as I do the delicious taste of Jacob’s Twiglets. The only problem with most of them is that they’re supported by ads, which unlike fat-free, low calorie Jacob’s Twiglets, can leave you feeling a bit uncomfortable. Stiil, it’s a small price to pay (much like only 59p per snack-sized bag of Jacob’s Twiglets is) for Gametap offering the first Hitman Game, Code 47, for absolutely nothing.

The ads play before the game – in the same way Jacob’s Twiglets make an excellent appetiser to a meal – and you’ll need to use the special Gametap software which doubtless plugs yet another garish icon into your system tray. I don’t actually know for sure because a) I’ve not tried it myself yet, as I’m not personally in a hurry to play Codename 47 again and b) if I put any more multi-coloured icons in my system tray I’m likely to have an end-of-Kubrick’s-2001 psychedelic trip-out. With no harmful colours or preservatives, that’s something that will never happen by eating a pack of Jacob’s Twiglets.

It’s all promotional hoojum for the upcoming and not-great-looking Hitman movie (47 does not have head-stubble! 47 does not fight evil!), running until the end of the year and with Hitmans 2 and 3 (alright, ‘Contracts’) due to be made similarly gratis during the coming weeks. Hitman, of course, stars the titular Agent 47, a man of mystery and complexity – much like the delicious secret savoury coating on every Jacob’s Twiglet.

Let’s just hope the unavoidable advertising isn’t too distracting.

, , .

1. drunkymonkey says:

Haha, nice blog entry there, for what is essentially a pretty happy but non-too-exciting news update.

I prefer Wotsits any day of the week.

2. Janek says:

Twiglets are terrible.

3. Filipe says:

So is the first Hitman game.

4. Masked Dave says:

/me Goes to eat Twiglets.

No, seriously. You made me really want a bag.

Also, I read an interview with Timothy Olyphant which gave me much more hope for the film than the trailer did. But that’s trailer’s for you.

5. Monkfish says:

The advertising is probably fairly unobtrusive.

——————————————————————————————————
    This comment has been brought to you by Muppet Warehouse®™ – for all your Muppet®™ needs.

6. Monkfish says:

Oooh. That ^^ looks a bit odd in the “Respond to our Gibberish” section…

Sorry ’bout that.

7. Thiefsie says:

I believe the ads in Far Cry were incredibly easily circumvented by a standard GUI mod, haha. I’m sure these could be patched out in the same way.

Regardless, anyway that more people could enjoy an oldish game like this (whereas they most likely wouldn’t play it otherwise) is always a good thing.

8. Thelps says:

The original Hitman just made me angry at the game, the plot, the main character and most of all, myself.

To be fair, that last part doesn’t take much doing, though.

9. roBurky says:

I thought Gametap was unavailable outside North America.

Otherwise I’d probably have already subscribed by now.

10. Solario says:

Well I liked it.

And I was happy to see plenty of stupid danish comedy references that no one else would get. Like the stuff the psych patients sometimes mumbled or the stuff on the car plates.

11. Jack Monahan says:

It’s instructive to compare the control scheme from the first Hitman game to the one found in Contracts and Blood Money. Whereas most PC games that get expanded to consoles have to fight off criticisms of being dumbed down in some capacity, The Hitman games absolutely benefitted. Whereas Hitman 1 and 2 feature some awfully kludgy controls, Contracts gets refined for easy button pushing on a controller… and ends up being just a far better control scheme overall. Managing complex interactions with a limited, elegant array of buttons is never easy, but the Contracts/Blood Money system is intuitive and graceful.

If you dig on the latter Hitman games, I do recommend playing the first two, but they’ll take quite a bit of patience. Otherwise, just go straight to Contracts.

12. Ben says:

Now I desperately want twiglets. And it’s hard to get them in the states. Mmmm… delicious twiglets…

13. Richard says:

I doubt there’ll be in-game advertising. Gametap’s free games don’t work that way. The catch is that you usually have to watch a tedious, jerky little movie while installing, and before loading it each time.

“I thought Gametap was unavailable outside North America.”

The main service is, but anyone can play the free games. They cycle them round on a fairly regular basis.

In Europe, there’s Metaboli, which I’ve been experimenting with as part of a feature. More expensive, but not a bad selection.

14. Bobsy says:

They’ll never send you any Alec.

15. Alec Meer says:

Bah, rumbled. How about some Mini Cheddars?

16. The_B says:

It’s like a breath of fresh air. Not unlike Sam Fisher, whom in between killing terrorists and hiding in the dark likes nothing more than the cool refreshing taste of Wrigley’s Airwaves. They might not be able to see him coming, but they can’t mistake that minty fresh breath!

17. Pete says:

The first Hitman was rather good, for the record. Until, that is, you suddenly had to kill absolutely everyone in an airfield, often using a hard-earned minigun (so much for stealth), followed by a nigh invincible drug lord who took around 100 shots from said mingun to fell. Worst mid-game nosedive I’ve ever encountered.

18. Nick says:

Mini Cheddars aren’t quite as nice since they made them “more healthy”.

Bastards. Still lovely though, if I could just find some marmite ones again.

19. malkav11 says:

You can prevent the ad from playing pretty easily – just pop up the instructions or bonus material and let it sit on that until it finishes (down/)loading. Not that it isn’t still irritating.

20. CannedLizard says:

I’m not supposed to have Twiglets, they make me violent.

By that metric, 47 is on a drip feed of Twiglets.

Oh wait, year old post.