Cathy Come Homeworld?

By Kieron Gillen on November 4th, 2007 at 11:01 pm.

It’s been a day of mumbling and moping and growling and groping at RPS today (Except without the groping, sadly). But before everyone heads bedwards, here’s some news to put a spring back in your step. RTS legend Homeworld? Coming back.

Kate Bush is fine by us.

Well, it may be anyway, and we’re big fans of premature excitement. It seems that a US trade-mark document turned up showing a transfer of Homeworld ownership between Vivendi and THQ. The latter are the owners of Relic. Relic made Homeworld. So, unless THQ are being particularly perverse and enjoy teasing their employees in the manner of school bullies holding a kid’s bag just out of reach, it’ll be logical that Relic may be returning to their previous triumph. Hurrahs and hurrays! Head over to sleuths Shacknews for all the details who sleuthed it from the RelicNews forums who sleuthed it from a man in the pub who knew too much and no-one’s spoken to since and people are fearing he may have been killed by The Man.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Seniath says:

Ohh, shiny.

I should really go back and finish HW2. Except it was so damn hard, as I recall.

2. Thiefsie says:

that would be great, I absolutely adored the atmosphere in all the homeworlds. The music, the graphics, the voiceovers… everything fitted together perfectly.

I did of course royally get my hand handed to my in the campaign… ah… I never did see the end of Homeworld 2.

3. Edwin says:

Shacknews did nothing to find out about this. It was all the work of the RelicNews forum members.

4. Kieron Gillen says:

Fixed, Edwin!

KG

5. wiper says:

Ooh, fantastic.

Maybe I’ll be able to finish this one without cheating…

6. SIx says:

Homeworld 3 would be amazing. I loved both games, especially because they were *challenging* unlike many other games.

7. Andrew says:

That’s very tantalising news and unlike many such rumours does actually seem like it could have a grain of truth in it.

Could be very interesting indeed.

8. feffrey says:

I got slaughtered in homeworld 2, but i beat the game by modifying the save games and adding a hundred of every unit (about-ish) when the mission would start. While is was somewhat easier, it was still hard, as the AI scales the number of their units by however many you have.
    of course no amount of ships could stop 20 Dreadnoughts. (super one of a kind cap ship that can kill any ship in 1 hit almost)
    bwahahhaha

9. tom says:

my God, it’s full of stars!

10. Waltermelon says:

This is the best news i ever heard since i finished hw2. Is like finding out that the King is not dead and one day He will return to his trone tu rule till the end of times!

11. roburky says:

I picked up a homeworld game on budget once. I later discovered it had no CD-Key. I was sad.

12. nickski says:

just…couldn’t…finish HW2, which made me feel a deep sense of shame, and i have a deep seated dislike of any cheating so eventually gave up and slid into a corner with my head buried in my hands. loved the games though including the, frankly, terrifying expansion pack to homeworld 1 with the bio metal take over of your ships, the SCREAMS, oh.. god.. no.

13. Jonathan Burroughs says:

“I do not like the men on this spaceship. They are uncouth and fail to appreciate my better qualities.”

14. Morte says:

I can’t believe you’ve not mentioned the best thing about the original Homeworld. The Yes track “The Ladder” on the credits….splendidness beyond splendidness.

More Prog in games…sod that, more Prog everywhere.

15. moromete says:

Homeworld 3 would be too cool and given THQ’s track record then would probably turn the third installment in the franchize into something extraordinary…

16. chesh says:

Peter Watts was supposed to be writing the story for a proposed HW3, ages ago. Sadly, that project died, and we can only hope that THQ has the sense to get one of the best science fiction writers out there to do the script again, if this is true.

17. CornerUnitSofa says:

@Kieron: your avatar – Impactor?

18. CornerUnitSofa says:

(oops) If so – cool choice. Dude.

19. Kieron Gillen says:

CornerUnitSofa: Yes. Sniff. He’s my own robot jesus, except better as he died TWICE.

KG

20. Alec Meer says:

And he was clearly in love with Xaaron, so he’s a sensitive type too.

21. Eoghan says:

If I had a copy of “Sins Of A Solar Empire” in my hands right now I would drop it like yesterdays news and say “Ooooh! HW3 gimmegimmegimme!”

The Homeworld series had me the first time I saw the trailer with Adagio For Strings in it, this is super news.

22. Homunculus says:

I must confess, whilst having accumulated all three Homeworld titles over the course of the past decade, I’ve not so much as installed any of ‘em. And whilst this news is nice and all, Relic making Dawn of War 2 in the Company of Heroes engine would be a far more pleasing prospect for me.

23. Arathain says:

“…loved the games though including the, frankly, terrifying expansion pack to homeworld 1 with the bio metal take over of your ships, the SCREAMS, oh.. god.. no.”

I found Cataclysm really unsettling. I didn’t get all that far into it- got to the mission where you’re trying to protect a civilian convoy from missiles, only every time a ship gets hit it gets assimilated and starts pumping out more missiles. That one was a bit too disturbing, and I haven’t gone back to it. You’re right about the screams. *shuddders*