Crysis Viral

By John Walker on November 10th, 2007 at 11:39 am.

Here’s a strange piece of viral advertising. (And proof I can’t be trusted with a document marked “CONFIDENTIAL”).

Stop looking! It's confidential!

In the post this morning came a stiff, brown envelope, containing what purports to be a “CONFIDENTIAL” document, with the vast majority of the text blacked out. And a very small envelope stapled to the document, containing nothing but an O2 mobile phone sim card.

It disappointingly quickly reveals itself to be a viral for Crysis, with statements like,

“…TO USE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE AND REMAIN COVERT AT ALL TIMES. IT IS VITAL THAT THE NORTH KOREANS DO NOT KNOW THAT THE TEAM IS ON THE ISLAND.”

Scans of the doc, and more below.

And if that weren’t enough,

“NANOSUITS CAN REROUTE ITS ENERGY TO FOUR DIFFERENT POWER SUBSYSTEMS; ARMOR, SPEED, STRENGTH AND CLOAK.”

So subtlety isn’t their goal, and if it’s the beginning of an ARG, then they’ve rather blown their load early on.

What I can’t figure out is what the sim card is for. I’ve put it in a spare phone, but I can’t see anything special on the card (although the phone is a massive nightmare to use). It comes with its own number, and a generous £0.00 credit. So is this advertising for O2? For Crysis? What? Will my phone ring with further instructions? Clearly this is exactly the sort of coverage they’re after, so I’ve fallen directly into the trap. So I’ll make sure they resent it slightly by complaining further for the clumsy and ultimately disappointing lack of subtlety in the document text: that’s not how you establish a mystery – it’s how you establish you’re not too hot at ARGs.

Here’s the scans of the doc:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8

Did everyone on the beta receive one of these this morning? And does anyone know what the sim is for?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. drunkymonkey says:

Oh dear, the Nanosuit bit read just like a game manual…

2. Tom says:

not got one. Prolly just for the subscribers.

3. derFeef says:

A little bit cheap…

4. The_B says:

Maybe you’re supposed to put the card in one of those newfangled iPhones. Whereupon it transforms into some sort of Crysis-Nanosuit-Alien-Robot thing. Or something.

5. Piratepete says:

no you out it in an iPhone and fins the veil of mystery lifted to realise they are rubbish

6. Piratepete says:

meh. find = fins its all the same :)

7. The_B says:

Well, kinda. But I hoped my idea would actually make the iPhone Good.

8. Nick says:

“Du har redan blivit biten idag, så du är skyddad!”

Buh?

9. Martin Coxall says:

This iPhone I’m using right here is the single best gadget I have ever owned.

It’s a pity that Crysis is released on the same day as Mario. It means that I’ll probably forget to play it between all the star based brilliance.

10. Willem says:

““Du har redan blivit biten idag, så du är skyddad!”

Buh?”

Spammer. Swedish. Says it all, really.

11. John Walker says:

Peculiar spam – occasionally matched the post content. And all from the same IP, which is now blocked.

12. Zell says:

“Du har redan blivit biten idag, så du är skyddad!”

“You’ve already been bitten today, so you’re protected!”

That’s bizarrely intriguing. Did it only happen for this one post? Maybe it’s a bot scanning das interwebs for precisely this content — as part of the viral campaign…

13. Wickedashtray says:

would’ve been cool if the USPS had opened this and reported it to US intelligence…..

comedy gold would’ve surely ensued

14. Garth says:

This is one of the worst viral or.. whatever things I’ve ever seen. It reads like a shitty early 90′s add for some random shooter. I mean, come on: “Distress signal continues from Scientists research vehicle – plotted on nanosuit HUD.” So I can’t know the name of the General planning this, but I can know we’ve developed Nanosuit technology?

15. Bobsy says:

Damn! That Quake bastard works fast!

16. Pod says:

Didn’t one of these get recalled back in the 90s, when a mailshot to all and sundry got misinterperated and people thought we were going to war, etc?

17. McFluffin says:

Yeah, I got one of these as well. Did get a text message with a web address and login?

18. Mat says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one to get this through the post. Weird thing is I got mine sent to a new job I’ve only been at a couple of weeks and was followed by a cryptic email:

Hi Mat,

I need your help with this audio file!
    Can you help?

username : administrator
    password : triangulum

Doing a bit of digging into the headers from the Hotmail address shows that the IP address it originated from was from some shared office space in Brighton (UK). I’m assuming that one of the companies in there is the PR company involved.

19. Federico Holt says: