Jigsaw Flesh

By Jim Rossignol on November 15th, 2007 at 2:51 pm.

There’s nothing actually gory or even particularly illustrative about this tech video for upcoming zombies-on-the-beach game Dead Island, but it’s nevertheless… suggestive. It’s always struck me as odd that so few games have chosen to go down the hyper-gore dismemberment route of Soldier Of Fortune, but perhaps Dead Island will allow us to bash the faces off zombies in a manner appropriate to they pulpy rotten-flesh consistency. It’ll be like a Pinata, only with glands instead of candy…

Thanks, GameTrailers! You will rise again.

, , .

1. dartt says:

Mmmm, delicious glandy.

2. datter says:

Zombies have to be the single stupidest idea for monsters or all time.

3. Cruz says:

By stupid you mean best ever.

I cannot wait. We need more zombies on PC. 2008 is going to be a good year for them, compared to previous years where there are zero zombies on PC. Anyone know what the hold-up is on Left4Dead?

4. Piratepete says:

true story:

I saw Dawn of the Dead when I was 7. Since then I have had Zombie dreams all my life, they used to scare the bejesus out of me but now, well a lifetime of dream zombie combat has made me an ‘Ash’ style undead fighting expert. In fact when in large packed crowds I look for Zombie Apocolypse escape routes.

I can confirm that Zombies are not rubbish but are in fact teh aces (reason being is that you know you could fight them off unless you are an idiot)

5. Piratepete says:

yeah where is left 4 Dead I thought it was gonna be out for Christmas?

6. Cruz says:

Yeah, I think thats probably the appeal of zombies. You do have it within your capacity to fight back against a zombie if you are so inclined. Ghosts, vampires? You are pretty much boned beyond extraordinary means. Zombies? You can fight them with stuff out of your garage.

7. ezequiel says:

there are loads of reasons why zombies are EXCELLENT monsters, like, the horrible concept of someone you know turning into a mindless thing that wants to eat you, their rotten aspect, their relationship with being Dead, their almost unlimited life and energy until you basically turn them out to pieces. the way that they appear in concept in multitudes also adds to their charm.

8. Jae Armstrong says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that that’s probably because it’s (probably) a very resource-hungry process. Probably.

Let’s look at it this way; the engine has to work out where and how you strike the victim (what area, blunt or piercing, with how much force, at what angle to the surface of the body), then it has to append the deformation matrix to reflect that – convincingly reflect that, let’s not forget, which is no easy task – store that deformation matrix and apply it to the model every time it renders a frame (less memory intensive than storing a seperate model for each object, with a bit of clever data manipulation).

And of course, the engine needs to know what the body looks like on the inside. These guys appear to have solved that one by modelling the body in layers, but that means more memory per object and more art assets per object – art assets no one’s going to see half the time.

Above all else, it’d be a pain in the arse to code and the first thing up against the wall if the deadline was looming.

Moving on to zombies, I’m suprised fire isn’t used against them any more than it is. I mean, chainsaws are all good and well, but if you emptied the fuel tank on them and threw a match after it you could probably take out an entire group at once. It’s highly destructive, likes to spread and tends not to stop burning until it’s run out of things to burn.

9. malkav11 says:

I don’t find zombies particularly scary for precisely the reason above mentioned – you can fight them off, or escape. They’re all instinct, no intelligence, and usually sloooow. Sure, in theory you will eventually be buried under the weight of numbers, but there’s ways to deal with that. It’d just be a pretty sucky life.

Though Brian Keene did write a couple of books that made ‘em dead scary, thanks to the notion that they were actually highly intelligent demonic entities inhabiting the human (and in that case, animal) corpses, possessing any memories and skills that their host had once possessed. This made ‘em able to execute complex plans, use weaponry, taunt you with the memories of your dead loved ones, and still swarm you with nearly unkillable numbers.

I will say that zombies do make for excellent videogames. The perfect fodder enemy.

10. Robin says:

Zombies: good monsters, tiresome meme.

This vid reminds me of a tech demo from a couple of years back which had shooting bits off of a chap’s head in lurid detail. Not SOF. I can’t for the life of me remember what it was for or if it came out, but it was quite a big deal at the time.

11. Seth Tipps says:

When they show the shooting bit I’ll be impressed. At the moment I look at that and I just wonder if the animations are going to be suck. I mean, it’ll definitely look pretty, but the skeletal dismemberment sounds like exactly that; the ability to remove bones, rather than break or shatter them away. Not that I’m a complete sicko or anything (Dr’s note: just gravely ill) but if I’m going to be playing a zombie game it’s probably so that I can watch the colour show as blood and bits of flesh bespatter the screen. I’m not going to stop and say, “ooh! That was exactly like it was in biology!” I appreciate the detail, but it will only really matter if it comes along with a crysisesque physics engine that will render the damage in the proper places. Or at least enough blood that I don’t notice that I’m being cheated.

12. Eschatos says:

Half Life zombies are the best. They have an awesome grounding in “reality”, and headcrabs are fun also.

13. Jonathan says:

Zombies? Not scary.

Also, how do they get so many of them when time and again one normal guy (Shaun/Ash/the black guy from Dawn) kills dozens in not hundreds of them? Surely thats a poor turnover.

Also the original teaser trailer has crowbars clipping through the zombies head and very scripted looking tussles. So no hope from me I’m afraid.