Minubeat

By Jim Rossignol on November 18th, 2007 at 10:45 pm.

I’ve been loving Cactus Software‘s simple, rapidly developed games, each one packaged with a neat conceptual hook and minimalist presentation. However, their new game, Minubeat, is too much for me. The concept this time is a shmup that you play to the beat of the music. You can move freely with the cursor keys, but you shoot to the beat. And, well, I can’t survive more than a few seconds. Maybe that’s the point, as Cactus explain:

The game is a rhythm shmup, you have to use bomb and defense in sync with the beat! Press Z to shoot normally. X for homing bombs, C to clear screen from bullets. You have one minute to beat the game, that’s how short it is. Will probably take you a while, though. Made in 12 hours.

, , .

1. Elyscape says:

Fire and Forget is similar, except its focus is on the music and, as a result, you get to keep playing until the song ends, regardless of the number of times you die. I very much enjoyed it, and I’ll have to check out Minubeat.

2. Tom says:

bit sad really innit?! lol

3. Tekgo says:

Minubeat is surprisingly addictive considering its difficulty. Once you actually get into the beat it becomes lots of fun, although until that point it is all trial and error. I still can’t finish the game within the timelimit though.

4. terry says:

This game is good if you imagine it is “Raid on Bungeling Bay”

5. Leelad says:

I kept pressing enter until I realised that I was controlling that thing, I thought it was loading or something.

Some instructions in the zip wouldn’t have gone amiss!!

6. Tr00jg says:

Gosh! What does he do? How in Lord Cheese’s name is he able to churn out so many games? Gosh, blah.

7. Jonathan Burroughs says:

I’m at the boss. Anybody beaten this?

8. yns88 says:

After you get used to it, the enemies get really easy. The only problem is that you need to speedrun through it all just to be able to beat the time limit. I kept wondering “why does my ship just blow up at the end?!”

9. cactus says:

Thanks for writing about my games! I recorded some gameplay footage of Minubeat that might assist if you have trouble getting into the gameplay:

Remember to use all your abillities where needed and the game will not be that tough to beat.

10. roBurky says:

Ok, I thought I understood the game until I saw that video. I had no idea you could fire that fast – I thought it was only on the big thumping beats.

11. eoy says:

Finaly beat it, 3317 points :D

(and yes, I played through the whole game to the last boss, not ever pressing C or X)

12. eoy says: