Modding For Cop School

By Jim Rossignol on November 19th, 2007 at 6:51 pm.

Here’s an interesting FPS oddity: a mod created for training Canadian Federal Law Enforcement folks, now freely available for the Federal Law Enforcement training needs of you and me at home.

The project was created using the truly excellent SWAT4 (that’s an Irrational game, development-history fans) and includes a number of custom weapons and playable civilians, that training types can use to make the best-laid plans of their trainees go awry. The agencies responsible have even included their contact details for training tips for other police-folk to make the most of the mod.

The training project was created with help from the 10-David SWAT gaming fan community. Good work, chaps.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Matthew Gallant says:

As a Canadian, I’m proud to say… how aboot that, eh? I hope those hoser developers put toques on all the civilians (for realism.)

2. Hobbes says:

Yes, but does it include training in the use of Tasers?

3. Hobbes says:

Sorry. That was tasteless.

4. I_still_love_Okami says:

law enforcement and the military using shooters as training devices could be used as an argument by people who draw connections between violent crime and video games. it makes a good argument for the term “murder simulator”.

of course the games aren’t used to desensitize the trainees or to teach them how to use a gun. the only thing they’re really good for is to train tactics and cooperation. but I don’t think critics would be bothered by such facts.

I’ve allways wondered why it’s never been brought up in the debate.

5. Grill says:

For some reason that screenshot reminds me of the Village People. Hmm, must get out more.

6. Ace says:

Bahaha! The Village People! With guns! Heh heh, now that would make for an interesting game!

7. WCAYPAHWAT says:

umm….do those Troopers have Deagles?

8. James says:

umm….do those Troopers have Deagles?

Yes, for hunting this generation’s super criminals.

9. Jim Rossignol says:

I’ve allways wondered why it’s never been brought up in the debate.

It’s a minor topic in my forthcoming book.

Comment on this story