Deux Ex 3: Yes

By John Walker on November 26th, 2007 at 5:38 pm.

Well here’s some rather big news.

Eidos have announced Deus Ex 3.

Some early concept art.

Details have emerged on Gamasutra that Eidos’ new Montreal studio will be developing the third part in the Deus Ex saga as their first project.

Almost nothing is known beyond that the developers have passed a proof of concept for the game. Stéphane D’Astous, Montreal’s general manager told Gamasutra,

“”We’re only working on AAA, major titles. We’re going to be developing only major AAA games, using only next-gen technology. We will want to limit our dev teams to a human-sized team of 80 people at the very highest of the peak in the production cycle. We don’t want to become a huge studio where there’s over 100 people on a title. We want a smaller, multi-discipline group that are tightly knit together. But by doing so, we will give them at least 18 to 24 months for the production cycle.”

However, it’s extremely unlikely Deus Ex’s daddy, Warren Spector, will have anything to do with the project, as Shacknews points out. His Junction Point Studios was recently bought by Disney, keeping him tied up in big-money development for the foreseeable future. Nor does it seem likely that designer Harvey Smith will be involved, being all wrapped up with the development of Blacksite 2 down in Austin, Texas.

While opinion was divided over the second game (seriously, if you’re in a pub with Alec and Kieron, bring it up: hilarious), our crazed love for the original Deus Ex is enough to have excitement oozing from every pore of the RPS bodymass, even with just a name announcement. Oh, and Eidos? Make sure it appears on PC. We have sticks.

Trailer below the clickileap.

Gametrailers: kthnxbai

, .

1. drunkymonkey says:

I wonder who it’ll be who’s working on it.

And if it’ll be any cop.

2. Kieron Gillen says:

Clearly, they should have invested in the Cassandra Project team.

KG

3. ran93r says:

AAA title?
    I call shenanigans, sadly.

4. Feet says:

Initial excitement as turned to dread that it might not make it to PC…

Or rather, depression that even if it does it will not be a “Games for Windows” exclusive. I’ve nothing against the consoles, I just think that cross-platform development can really ruin what could be good games by having to make compromises and losing focus on certain aspects.

I know it’s not really financially viable to ignore the “next-gen” anymore, but still. A man can dream of better times I ‘spose…

*sigh*

5. Richard says:

The smart money’s on a side-scrolling platformer for Xbox Live.

6. Mark-P says:

I want to be happy, but I fear the console port. :(
    IW wasn’t a terrible game, but it still wasn’t half the game that the original was, and much of that was the result of an acute case of consolitis.

7. Jives says:

I just saw the teaser for it… i didnt like it. If i hadnt known what it was a trailer for I would have said a bad overblown hollywood thriller

8. Mark-P says:

I kinda liked it. It gives at least the vague impression that they might have some kind of direction for the project. Plus bonus points for using some music from the original. I love Alex Brandon’s stuff.

9. drunkymonkey says:

I loved the trailer, as teasers go. It was suitably epic, and if they can carry out the complexity implied, Bioshock will have a sexier cousin.

10. Ryan says:

Blacksite TWO? But…why, for god’s sake? I have yet to hear a single positive word about the first one, it is, to the best of my knowledge, selling like some sort of Bizarro anti-hotcakes, and already they’re hard at work on a sequel?

11. Nuyan says:

After watching that teaser and thinking about it being a console game, I’m inclined to say Deus Ex never should had a follow-up.

That game was so incredibly awesome, guess I should install and finish the whole game another time.

12. bobince says:

Ohboy, what an unencouragingly derivative trailer.

Of course they had to use the original theme, there’ll be no audio assets yet. Or art or plot, by the looks of it.

Difficult to see where there is left to go with the plot, really.

[ObIW: I'm glad I only paid a tenner for DX2. It was fun enough, but the ‘freedom’ felt so mechanical; there were always exactly three approaches to each problem, all laid out before you instead of giving you the feeling of forging one's own path. And the simplifications of ammo and mods ruined the balance... first time through I upgraded eyes to full power in the first room and the rest of the game became trivially easy. oops]

13. John Walker says:

Smith was talking about Blacksite 2 months ago. Which was not exactly a positive sign for the first game, when the lead dev is publically thinking about how he’s going to improve upon it before it’s released.

14. Dracko says:

This trailer makes me vaguely excited. It comes off as classy.

Let’s not forget that Deus Ex was almost entirely derivative in its aesthetics and design in the first place.

15. Duncan says:

Yeah, you’re really reaching if you’re finding anything of significance to hate on in that teaser (other than maybe the intonations of the narrator.) Brandon’s score was a cool touch… which they did not “have” to use.

16. Alec Meer says:

Hearing that music again is absurdly exciting. It almost makes me forget the miseries of…. No, too late.

Invisible Wank, more like.

17. Masked Dave says:

If it’s just another solid shooter set in that world I’ll enjoy it. More would obviously be nice, but I don’t mind if it’s isn’t.

18. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Alec… Poohface, more like! TAKEN DOWN.

I got into PCG’s “best of the forum” the other month for saying that IW rocked. A proud moment. I will now attempt to get into RPS’s “best of the site” section which I presume is coming up shortly:

Deus Ex: Invisible War – what a GREAT game.

Thanks

19. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Uh, on topic though: as with the rest of you, I fear this will be trashy, but yes, that music did indeed “warm the cockles”.

20. Muzman says:

No Smith or Spector, but any sign of writer Sheldon Pacotti on this?
    I’m guessing not. Pity. He took (although no doubt others influenced the thrust of the story) the fairly cheesy undercurrents from the first game into something with a bit more nuance (only then they couldn’t make the game that lived up to it).
    Anyway, now we can argue about which ending is the real one all over again. Hooray, I think.

21. Dragon says:

Embeddable trailer on Gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28286.html

Some of us still hurt from DX:IW. It’s going to have to be oh so very good to get over that.

22. Kieron Gillen says:

Last I heard of Sheldon was him being at Junction Point.

KG

23. Thelps says:

All I can say is, it better not suck. Deus Ex is the kind of game that is such an intricate balance of so many factors (scenario, moral choice, character-driven story telling, good ol’ guns and cyborgs) that it has truly vast screw-up potential. That said, if they get it right (and for me, even IW got it right where it counted) then it’ll be yet another real beacon of what modern games can achieve.

All the trailer said to me was: Hinting at decent scenario, but also freeloading off the franchise’s previous good name. So the jury’s still out.

24. John Walker says:

I thought Deus Ex 2 was a great game. Unquestionably disappointing when compared with Deus Ex. But then that’s to compare it with one of the greatest games ever made. Compare it to the majority of games that year and it was really splendid.

Bloody awful ending though, coughsameasbioshock’scough.

I’m most disappointed at the lack of compliments for my title design, and indeed the lack of phonecalls from Eidos asking to buy it from me.

25. Kieron Gillen says:

I hope I get a consultancy fee.

KG

26. Dileep Reddy says:

This is why intellectual property should be owned by people and not companies. Deus Ex isn’t about “One Answer” overwriting the others……..

27. King Awesome says:

I still think that the truest sequel to a game like Deus Ex would be a game wholly unlike Deus Ex, but in the same spirt of doing things a little differently. It is one of the few first person games to give you a real sense of freedom and a range of options to the way you approach the challenges of the world. Somehow at the time, its near future, shockingly precursive conjuration of our world felt fresh and thrilling. By the time of Deus Ex 2 though the setting felt common place and tedious.

I might have set the whole thing in the Napoleonic wars, cast the player as an agent of the dastardly english crown. Sprinkle in some royal court conspiracies, some european travelling, and some ancient secrets of the catholic church and call that Deus Ex 2. Deus Ex 3 would clearly feature a sandwich shop in Northamptonshire, an ordinairy seeming chap with an unordiairy imagination and a highly intimidating dreamworld peppered with subconcious meaning.

Oh, and robot arms obviously.

28. Dracko says:

On the other hand, we could all just play Marathon Infinity all over again.

29. WCAYPAHWAT says:

“Clearly, they should have invested in the Cassandra Project team.”

Clearly, someone should finish the cassandra project.

oh, did that Zodiac mod ever end up being finished? i enjoyed what i played of that

30. cabbs says:

Cheesy voice over. Why is there a cheesy voice over?

What purpose does the cheesy voice over serve? What sane individual would actually ‘appreciate’ a voice over of such cheesy magnitude?

31. Duncan says:

Yes, clearly this preoccupation with voiceovers will be Eidos’s undoing.

32. Gwog says:

Any DX3 is better than no DX3 but I’ll check back in once it’s on shelves and there are impressions being posted. GL to the devs, though… it’s probably not going to be a fiscally-mandated eighteen month dev cycle full of very high morale.

33. Bobsy says:

Trailer: better than I expected. They’re at least thinking about this a little. And the music from DX1 rather than 2 (I think) is a good sign.

But still, I’m worried.

(although I like the idea of a Napoleonic DX. Or, or, or, set in the declining imperial court of the western Roman empire in the 5th century AD. YES)

34. CrashT says:

If you pause the trailer you can see there’s a date on the polling box of 2027, seems like this could be a prequel.

35. Garth says:

Oh my God oh my God oh my God. A(nother) Deus Ex game? Given that Deus Ex is pretty much my favourite game ever, you can imagine how much jumping in my chair I am currently doing.

Can’t wait to be totally let down, like with Deus Ex 2!

I loved the use of the original music — I have the entire songlist from Deus Ex on my playlist.

36. John P (Katsumoto) says:

You all smell. Kieron, we need a Making Of: Invisible War, I feel. All this DX2 bashing makes me queasy.

37. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Sorry for double posting again – http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176374 – Tom Francis sums up in point 4 why most people really didn’t get on with IW. In my opinion.

As for why so many people didn’t get on with Deadly Shadows – that will forever elude me.

38. Richard says:

Nah. I didn’t like IW because it was a terrible, terrible game on every level – literally and figuratively. Combat, story, dialogue, missions, atmosphere… the original DE had its problems, but IW was beyond a joke. Had it been from an obscure Russian developer and named Vox Populi or something, it’d have got 60% scores at best and sunk without trace.

39. AK says:

Interesting list of what zips by during the hyper-speed flashy bit towards the end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_3

“A sign ‘We do not welcome augmented people here’”

X-Men, anyone?

40. malkav11 says:

Funny. I thought Invisible War was much, much less ambitious than Deus Ex, which is a bit disappointing, to be sure. But it made up for it by being a lot more accessible and enjoyable without cheating my ass off. Like the mod system. I don’t know how balanced it was, but unlike DX1′s, all of the mods felt genuinely useful and powerful out of the gate. And the weapon upgrade system meant I could create an entirely customized arsenal where every gun had specific tactical purposes I’d assigned to them. I was a bit sad to see the skill system go, but…ah well.

41. Kieron Gillen says:

AK: Ooooh.

Re: DXIW: I may have to do a retrospective on it. I think its problems are a little different than the simple No-mutants-allowed reaction to anything different. Since Bioshock bumped into a couple of them, may be worth re-examining it.

KG

42. Crispy says:

I think until the game is out no amount of hype, promises or interviews will convince me that this won’t be analogous to…

“You know the rape scene in Irreversible? You know the guy who walks into the tunnel and witnesses the act but backs away, never to be seen again? Well if Monica Bellucci was Deus Ex, and the rapist was Invisible War, I’m worried that Deux Ex 3 will be like the witness coming back after the rapist has scarpered to have another go.”

As you can see by that horrible image I’m going with a ‘guilty until proven innocent’ line on this one, purely on the blockbusteresque “In a world…” deep voice being an indication of a lack of respect for the original.

I’m am very prepared and hope to be proven totally wrong on this one, but after that trailer I’m definitely more than a little fearful.

43. Garth says:

I also have my worries, similar to Crispy. Deus Ex: Invisible War didn’t just ‘annoy’ me or ‘piss me off,’ I became a red-hot ember of seething rage whenever it’s name was even mentioned. Deus Ex is, essentially, my Holy Grail. Or wait, my bible. Both? Either way, imagine seeing their holiest of relics re-transcripted, and suddenly is a giant pylon, or a scorpion with no legs or something.

I think that PC Gamer blog pretty much covers all the bases of how this is going to go down.

1) Deus Ex ‘Fans’ (as if ‘fan’ could possibly describe the devotion we hold) are going to destroy large portions of cities (or their computer desks, most likely) because it’s not Deus Ex 1, prettier.

2) On the console front, I’m not so sure. One of the major reasons… ‘that sequel’ got the mediocre reviews it did was due to being made for PC and Console simultaneously. I think this could go either way — they’ll have learned from that mistake and do PC or Console exclusively (If it’s PS3 only I will commit murder), or they’ll go PC/Console =, and try to not.. do that other game again.

3) While it might not be as long as Deus Ex, I don’t expect they’ll try a 4-5 hour game. If they do, they’ll have not only alienated the fanbase (what is left after that sequel anyway) and have turned away anyone who knows the brand name.

4) I’m expecting an ‘ok’ game. To me, that means 6-7 out of 10. To it’ll be an eight or so, maybe an eight point five.

44. Muzman says:

I don’t get the love for old DX. I think I missed the boat on that one. I should, since I will swear by the life changing effects of a game or two, just different games.

Incidentally I still labour under the belief that IW was a pretty ambitious game until a mixture of circumstances, to do with the engine mostly, kinda blew up in their faces. I don’t really know though. I’ve never thought they entirely meant it to be the way it ended up anyway, as some seem to think here.

45. Acosta says:

It would be interesting seeing a debate between Alec and Kieron about Deus Ex 2, maybe you could think on it as a future piece for rockpapershotgun.

46. Kieron Gillen says:

Socratic dialogues!

I think I’d have to replay it. I can certainly argue about my opinion now, but I suspect – like Alec did with Vampire – if I went back to it, it’ll change a little.

That said, I’ve certainly got some takes on why it failed, and – aside from tech and whatever – there’s a core belief they ran with which (I sadly suspect) isn’t true. Bioshock has ran into the same problem too, in a smaller way.

The best example is the Vent issue. People complained a lot about having to crawl through vents constantly. Except, you don’t have to. The skillset in IW is really subtle and there’s dozens of options at any time. But the vent solution is simple and easy and efficient,and people took it every time it turned up and were bored.

(And never experimented with the options as they didn’t *have* to.)

Invisible War was made with the belief that players like doing interesting things. Many of them don’t – they’d rather be boring and efficient, and have to be forced into being interesting.

(In Bioshock, it’s the “I can complete the game with the wrench” thing by respawning and running. Yeah, you can, but it’ll take forever and be really boring. But what sort of person would do that voluntarily? It’s tedious. Some people need the game to force them to stop being tedious.)

This argument can’t help but come across as a diss against people who play the game like it, but I’m more talking about a key part of human psychology which many gamers have and a developer has to consider when making their games.

KG

47. Acosta says:

Ah, yes, thank you Kieron, I am glad someone share my opinion about something I truly believe: sometimes, players are to blame when they decide they want to transform a rich and interesting experience in a bored exercise of repetition.

I was speaking with a colleague that I consider as one of the best reviewers in Spain. He absolutely loved System Shock 2 and was looking for Bioshock. He is one of that PC “elitists” that loves flight simulators, role-playing and heavy tactic games and that would prefer not touching a console pad . He liked Bioshock but listed a good amount of thing he didn´t like about it, some of them were fair, but one of them was the “I can pass the game with the wrench as I´m immortal and enemies keep the damage”.

Why anyone would want to do that? Is one of that moments when you realize how damn hard is to create a game: he wants a non discriminatory game that can be played by anyone in a satisfactory way, not only for money and market but because is the right thing to do. But at the same he wants to create an open experience where people can experiment and test many different possibilities so they can have a richer experience than the classic run & shoot. And at the same time they must do all this given freedom to the player, as they complain if they feel forced to do or not do a specific thing.

I think Irrational (yes, I call it Irrational :P) could have solved this with some mechanism to have the enemies recover energy, but I am sure they didn´t predict players would start to use exclusively the wrench and using the infinite respawn for defeating Big Brothers. So I think is not problem of the studio only, if the player want to play in a not fun way with the tools they have given him, what can they do? (the answer is another linear shooter with cinematic sequences and “let me take your hand” mechanics, I guess).

48. Gwog says:

I noticed something similar with DX1… many people complained about how it was ‘slow and boring’ right from the start, and by digging deeper it turned out that everyone instinctively pursued the stealth approach to the Liberty Island level, thus making their approach much slower and more measured than if they took the GEP and started blowing shit up.

49. Kieron Gillen says:

Acosta: I suspect my solution would be to simply have some manner of “reward” for the hardcore to minimise the use of the support system for more casual players.

(e.g. In Thief:DS a good player will find them having much more gold than a normal player, meaning the game becomes easier for them in a feedback loop. Having something else for players to do with their Gold – perhaps increasing some kind of “Status” thing represented by Garett’s flat or something – would be a relatively simple thing to do.)

But yeah, it’s hard.

(Balancing is insane in an Immersive Sim thing. Regarding Bioshock, the people who seem to like it least are the ones who actually used the research stuff to the full extent. They had full damage bonuses against everyone, so used less ammo to kill everyone, so got through the game without even thinking aboutwhat weapons to use. Meanwhile, I used it only when things got tricky against a certain baddy sort, and spent the entire game at least considering what equipment I had an alternate solutions, etc.)

KG