Eve: Trinity

By Jim Rossignol on November 27th, 2007 at 9:06 am.

The graphics update for Eve is very nearly upon us. While the first few images were distinctly unimpressive shiny reskins of old ships (as you’ll see at the start of this trailer) the actual rebuilding of larger structure such as spacestations, motherships, and jumpgates is pretty jaw-dropping. As others have noted, Trinity finally gives something of a sense of scale to Eve, with its shadows and detailed textures. One of Eve’s biggest problems was conveying how vast a carrier is compared to a frigate, and Trinity should help with that.

In space no one can hear you scream say thanks, Gametrailers

There are plenty of other changes coming up for Eve too, in the form of major changes to combat, and new ships. And that reminds me that I really need to follow up my last Eve-related post, and about talk PvP in Eve. Maybe later in the week.

, , .

1. EMPty=IRL= says:

In HD it does now look superb!
    …and I like your tag of “woo shiny!”
    Ps: Your up early….

2. Piratepete says:

Is that Eve online or the new film trailer for ‘Consider Phlaebus’?

I would absolutely love to play Eve, I even tried the demo for a couple of days but time is a resource I don’t have at the moment, which is a massive shame.

3. Bobsy says:

Sigh. Eve remains the greatest game I’m physically unable to play. Every time something shiny like this happens (and goddammit Eve was already a damn pretty game ANYWAY) I’m drawn to it… but then I remember just how taxing it was to actually play it on a regular basis. I love Eve, but it doesn’t love me back. I prefer games that are a bit more reciprocal, you know?

4. Joonas says:

I played Eve for a while but it’s just too time-consuming. Some sort of fast-play version would interest me a lot.

5. andreadst says:

Taxing it is. And a bit too much of a 3D Excel sheet…but what a game…

I hope Trinity brings new in-game music, the current one is terribly boring.

6. Jim Rossignol says:

Ps: Your up early….

Contrary to popular belief, I am the early-rising freelancer. 8am starts for me.

7. fluffy bunny says:

I tried to like Eve, but at the end of the day it was more work than fun. I’ll stick to X3.

8. Seniath says:

Sweet holy mother of god. I only started playing a week or so ago, and boy am I glad I did. Think epic certainly sums up that trailer.

9. Clavain says:

I created an account at the launch of EVE, and ever since have played on and off. I love EVE, I just wish I had more time to give it. I do have to spend time with my Wife, and also there’s the whole pesky job thing. And a course I’m doing. Plus all those other lovely games out there, and books and comics.

But I do always enjoy coming back to EVE to play a few missions. I’m very much looking foward to Trinity, I don’t care that it’s the shallow reason of a new GFX engine.

10. Janek says:

The new Nyx model looks pretty awesome.

I wonder if they’re going to fix docking ranges on some stations.

11. Pete says:

The perfect time for me to spend more time again and finish kitting up my ‘thron.

REALLy need to work out how to get into more than missions and mining though since, ya know, those are the two weakest bits of the game. 0.0 and PvP is so insanely daunting though.

12. Jim Rossignol says:

0.0 and PvP requires a decent corporation. Finding one is a bit of a task, but it’s worth doing.

13. Andrew says:

That looks unbelievably good.

I tried Eve last year, but never got to play enough of the trial to really get into it. Might scrounge another trial off someone… James, perhaps…

14. James says:

The new graphics content (including new ship models) has now been added to Singularity (the EVE Test Server). Word on the grapevine is RPS should totally do a pre-preview article. EVE needs more pilots (that I can ransom for lovely space drugs).

15. malkav11 says:

EVE was already gorgeous. It becoming gorgeous-er doesn’t really fix any of the reasons I left, alas.

16. Cruz says:

This was the same in my case. I don’t recall paying attention to the graphics much at all, certainly not as much as the UI. But not to be a wet blanket, I am happy for the EVE players in getting their new shiny.

17. Jae Armstrong says:

UI’s getting an overhall too.

18. Jae Armstrong says:

Haul. Overhaul. Sorry, have been ill.

19. Jim Rossignol says:

My laptop probably won’t run all this shiny anyway. The main PC will, but still…

20. James says:

The graphics update is entirely optional, they’re still supporting a “classic” client with the old content.

These guys understand that the visuals aren’t the important part, and try their best not to alienate the community. Even for some previous indiscretions they’re pretty hands-on about things, and you can often play around with the GM’s on the test server, who are always friendly.

21. Thiefsie says:

They always get their trailers spot on! Atmosphere, wonder, style, music, voiceover, minimalist and beautiful.

22. Z says:

I spent most of my free trial zoomed out to the point that I’d never notice these improvements. I’d be more excited to hear about the UI changes in Trinity.

I never saw a glimpse of PvP during my two weeks in the game, which is part of why I didn’t subscribe. I’m very fond of the open-ended space setting, coming from games like Freelancer, Privateer and even Starflight… I’d really like to enjoy Eve, but my free trial was unconvincing. I look forward to the PvP article.

23. James says:

The starter space and surrounding areas are specifically crafted so that non-consensual PvP is swiftly punished (basically the police come and blat the aggressor). If you want to experience PvP, and the place most people first get to grips (as either a pirate or bounty hunter) is in low security space.

Head out for a 0.4 system, go to an asteroid belt and wait for a few minutes. Someone in a bigger, shinier, faster space cow will come and absolutely destroy you. It’s when you start to adopt the tactics of the pirates in these situations that you can either learn to fight or join them. This sort of context is so wonderful because there’s no pre-definition to your actions – you can ransom people, you can kill people, you can shoot them to within an inch of their hull, let them go and wink in local space chat. You can find a defenseless miner, fit a cloaking device to your battlecruiser and wait for a would be pirate to take a shot at the aforementioned industrialist. Uncloak and defend his honour!

But, at the end of the day, PvP in EVE is so fluid and changeable that it’s impossible to predict how your next encounter with another pilot will play out. No matter how big your pride and joy is, it’s always vulnerable to superior numbers or tactics.

You will die. But that’s part of the game. Your experience, speed and skill points are only a very small factor in how you lived or died. And that’s why it’s great.

24. Piratepete says:

See its things like that James that really make me want to play it, unfortunately the unholy of Work/wife/baby daughter means I just wouldn’t have the time to play it to justify the fee.

25. Z says:

I did spent a few hours in low security space, but nothing ever happened. I even deliberately went to a system that was listed as having multiple pod kills within the last hour, I was so desperate to see some PvP. Nothing.

Maybe I played at the wrong time of day, or I was in the wrong part of space, or I joined the wrong corp (not that I saw any PvP-focused corps that would consider taking a trial account) and maybe I was just incredibly lucky, but I didn’t see a glimmer of the ruthless PvP world I was hoping for.

26. Scallat says:

I WOULD play EVE. If only I could figure out how to pay for it! – It’s a nightmare.

27. Al says:

Man, oh man. That looks beautiful. I might have to log into my old account and buy a Rifter just to have a nosy around:)

28. Seniath says:

Looks like it’s due next wednesday. Servers’ll be down for 24 hours tho :(. And lets be honest, probably many more besides.