Opposing Fronts Demo

By Jim Rossignol on November 27th, 2007 at 3:13 pm.

I somehow missed this in my earlier web-dredging, but there’s now a Company Of Heroes: Opposing Fronts demo available for your downloading pleasure. The WWII RTS beast weighs in at a hormonal 1.92gb, or 137 Peggles. The demo contains the tutorial and the first two levels. And by the way, if you’ve ever played an RTS and not suffered from the experience, then you should play Company Of Heroes. I mean seriously: try it now, it’s one of the better ones.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Andrew says:

That’s really quite a late demo. Heh.

But yeah, Company of Heroes is a great RTS game. Better in skirmish/multiplayer than the campaign, though, as it’s generally more tactical and the enemy doesn’t just either stand around waiting to be shot or charge you in waves. Each confrontation feels more real as a result.

2. James says:

It’s the best multiplayer RTS out there currently. Better than your Supreme Commanders and Command and Cosmics, certainly.

Agree with the chap above me, also. He’s my Goose.

3. Alan Au says:

Yikes! I used to think that 100 Mb demos were too large, but that seems completely reasonable compared with these 2 Gb demos we’re seeing nowadays. If they’re going to make you download multiple gigabytes of data, they might as well make the whole game available for download and let you pay to unlock it.

4. drunkymonkey says:

Pff, I’ll wait for the actual game rather than waiting for the demo with its massive file size.

Really looking forward to having a go, though.

5. Andrew says:

Well, the actual game has been out some months now, you know.

6. Fat Zombie says:

Company of Heroes does look absolutely awesome, but I haven’t bought it. Given my usual performance with strategy games (EG, my loss last night at a 1v1 skirmish on Homeworld 2, against an Easy CPU opponent), I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much as the rest of you lot.

7. drunkymonkey says:

@Andrew: Oh, I know. But I’m getting it for Christmas.

8. Kieron Gillen says:

Company of Heroes remains the state of the Art for mainstream RTS. It’s the only 10/10 I’ve ever given in my years of reviewing.

Opposing Forces is pretty neat too.

KG

9. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Now all they need to do is make Dawn of War 2 just as good and put Tyranids in it and i’ll wet my pants non-stop from now until July 2019.

10. Fat Zombie says:

…One question: does the skirmish mode allow alliances between players and CPU players? ‘Cause I have the room to enjoy these games when I’ve got a CPU ally to take a share of the punishment, so I can concentrate on cooing at the units.

And that would make it awesome.

11. Turin Turambar says:

There aren’t alliances in this game. Two sides, allies and axis, always fighting.

i am waiting the next pach to come back to the online community of this game.

12. drunkymonkey says:

I think you misunderstood the question, Turin.

@Fat Zombie: Basically, the Allies and Axis cannot intermingle with each other, so if you’re playing Allies, you can’t have an Axis on your side. But, to directly answer your question: yes, you can have the computer on your side in skirmish, in two v.s. one, two v.s. two, or whatever.

So go ahead an buy it! Great fun!

13. Fat Zombie says:

Hurrah! I shall see if I can get this over Christmas, then!

Here come some very fun 2v1 skirmishes!