Jack Thompson: In The Dock

By John Walker on November 28th, 2007 at 11:23 am.

Poor maligned protector of the people, lawyer Jack Thompson, is about to go to court on the wrong side of the law.

Without him we will all die.

Play.tm reports that the awaited trial begins today, where Thompson will have to defend himself against charges of being the saviour of mankind. Or to use more technical terms, against questions over his conduct in the many and various cases in which he has attempted to single-handedly bring down the evil of videogames. Despite previous attempts to have the presiding judge thrown off the case, and probably filing to have the entire population of planet Earth put on the witness stand of an intergalactic space court, it’s all going ahead.

The Florida Bar doesn’t appear to be a big fan of the dispenser of justice. Rejecting Thompson’s fantastically guilt-implying offer of being suspended for 90 days (imagine the horrors that videogaming could unleash on America in those three months), Judge Dava Tunis is determined to see Thompson receiving a full disbarment trial.

It’s important to remember that back in September, in his attempts to not let this reach trial, the caped vigilante protector of our children (I like to assume he wears a cape), Thompson attempted to subpoena George W Bush , as well as sue the judge, the court, and everyone involved in the evil conspiracy to prevent his holy work.

But what would happen without him to protect us? Rockstar would roam free, stalking the streets at night to show our over-17s images of cartoons having sex. That’s what.

The hearing is set to last all week.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MisterBritish says:

Rockstar should get over there with balloons and cake, and hand out some free warm beverages.

2. Piratepete says:

I spent a short while last year following the web trail of this guy, with a kind of incredulous yet pained look on my face every time I read more. The fact that he will not even talk to anyone who wishes to have a rational debate about videogames marks him out as an extremist who gets everything he deserves. Personally I would tie him to a keyboard and make him play all of the games PCG has rated at less than 10% right the way through until his eyes bleed. (This is of course a joke for any web surfing lawyers of thomspon made for comic effect)

3. Kast says:

I whoop with joy to know this man will finally be publically, and officially, stripped of his position of respect in society.

4. Paul says:

Play.tm also had an interview with him earlier this year where the comments thread got a little interesting as the man himself joined in…

5. Piratepete says:

Paul,

Very interesting, I thought (although a few months late) I would add to it.

6. Nallen says:

Wow, that guy is digging his own grave. I went from a strong dislike (based I’ll admit on the media) to thinking sure, he has some points, I don’t like all this by the Grace of God stuff (but since I’m not religious I wont push my agenda, or lack thereof, on him) but looking past that perhaps he should be taken seriously. However I left with utter distain at his constant groundless trumpet blowing, his patronising tone, his inability to respond intelligently to any of the counter points made, his total misrepresentation of the facts and his complete hypocrisy throughout.

7. Coyote says:

Hopefully he’ll be disbarred – and when he tries to blame the videogame industry conspiracy as being behind his “fall from grace,” TV networks will finally recognize him as the crackpot that he is, and will quit putting him in front of the camera every time the subject of games comes up.

8. Lucky says:

That picture is going to give me nightmares.

9. malkav11 says:

It’s good that he’s getting what he more than deserves. Now if only similar things would happen to the other fanatical crusaders.

Comment on this story