Armageddon Empires

By Kieron Gillen on December 3rd, 2007 at 11:37 am.

Oh, God, I’m not going to be able to get a decent screenshot for this. Let’s go with…

Three Aces, dude!

As at least it shows some pickytures and features the brilliant phrase “Zombie Launcher” rather than a load of Hexes. Anyway, I’m reviewing this Turn-based strategy/Deck-building game for Eurogamer at the moment, but since I’m late to the party, I thought I should plug it and recommend anyone into a neat single player Strategy game at least give the 59Mb (Ooh – some peggles?) demo a shot. It’s biggest weakness is one which will become immediately apparent, in having a somewhat obtuse interface which does it’s does its best to hide its options all over the place, but Bill Harris does a big one! two! three! four! five! part walkthrough to get you past it. Which is worth reading anyway, as it explains much of its charm.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Pidesco says:

Ooh, this seems fun. Downloading right now.

The demo is 59MB not 70, by the way. And there’s also a PDF manual available that might be helpful.

2. ImperialCreed says:

“Zombie Launcher”!? SOLD!

3. Morte says:

Turn based you say? This is getting downloaded when I get home.

4. Jon says:

Downloading now, I too was sold as soon I saw that I could have a Zombie Launcher.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

I’ll write more in the review, but it’s a Civ/Master-of-Orien 4-X game, basically. Playing a standard sized map can go through in 1-3 hours or so, but you can expand the map, etc.

For me, the way I learned to play was basically playing a bit until I realised I’d missed a huge chunk due to the interface hiding it, and then restarting. Considering it plays so quickly and was fun in the process, I don’t mind it that much, but it’s inelegant.

Or you could read the manual.

It is a big manual.

KG

6. Pidesco says:

I’ve played it until my first battle against the Machine Empire, in which I managed to waste my entire military force. Apparently, the game forces you to have one more unit in the front line than in the rear, which meant that my artillery got wasted pretty quickly.

Anyway, it seems to be good, clean fun, and the only quibbles I have so far are technical. As far as I can see there’s no way to play the game windowed, and it doesn’t seem to be possible to use all the screen real estate at higher resolutions. Also, the card art and the soundtrack are great.

7. Kieron Gillen says:

The full game has two executables, one windowed and one full-screen.

KG

8. Pidesco says:

Does the full screen one still limit the playing area to 1024×728?

9. Kieron Gillen says:

Let me check.

Yes, it does. Apparently the game was built in director, which explains some of its technical foibles, but doesn’t exactly excuse them. The minimap getting in the way is a particular problem.

KG

10. Feet says:

Is there multiplayer?

11. Piratepete says:

Does the Zombie Launcher actually fire the Undead at the enemy?

12. Pidesco says:

The GUI problems should be easily fixed in a patch, though. Support for higher resolutions would be great, and if they implemented map scrolling with mouse, it would go a long way to make the interface less cumbersome.

I’m thinking that a GUI akin to the one used in Stars! could work rather well with this game. Movable windows for each part of the interface would be great for this game. I have no idea if that would be doable in Director, though.

13. Kieron Gillen says:

Pidesco: Apparently there’s been quite a few tweaks since release.

Piratepete: Yes, it does. Or, at least, that’s its fiction, but in game it’s just rolling dice for its attack value.

KG

14. gromit says:

There is a mac version available too.
    This is a good one if you like strategy.

15. Pidesco says:

Yes, I was just checking the patch notes myself. Using WASD for scrolling should be a big help with navigating the map.

Just checked and it works in the demo, actually. Great!

16. Piratepete says:

lol KG it was a joke. I was expecting just a ‘No’ from you tbh. Will give this a download later I think I have read the tutorial and it looks quite good.

17. Piratepete says:

Well thats 2 hours of my life i’ll never get back.

just no…….no.no.no.no.and no….

Nice artwork and units tho

18. Garth says:

I think this is the perfect game for just wasting some time, and focusing one’s thoughts.

I might pick it up – it depends what $30 U.S. amounts to in CDN. I have no idea why stores still insist on Canadians paying more (and for virtual product!) when the Canadian dollar is worth more than the U.S. one..

19. Jarmo says:

Thanks for introducing me to Armageddon Empires! I bought it and am enjoying it tremendously. The unearthing of rare gems is one of the reasons we’re (non)paying you fine fellows.

The Bill Harris walkthrough has also a sixth part. In it Bill explains the creation and use of the tactics cards.

20. Matthewk says:

Just played the demo and it is an awesome game but im not paying a whole £17 British pounds to play what is essentially a turn based hex strategy game when i can pickup 3 decent RTS titles for a tenner or galactic civilistaions 2 for 8 pounds!

21. Kieron Gillen says:

Some people don’t just buy games on budget, man :)

KG

22. Matthewk says:

I agree some people do not buygames on budget however when you can pick up the cream of the strategy genre on budget why should you pay more for anything else? The best of the gaming world is available on budget and although iwill admit it is a good game, ( icant get enough of the demo ) the price structuring for it sadly puts me off buying it, personally i would not pay more than £9.99 for it any thoughts on this people?