Prototype

By Jim Rossignol on December 10th, 2007 at 5:42 pm.

Another game to keep an eye on in 2008 is Prototype from Radical Entertainment. While their development history is a bit patchy, they did make the awesome The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which gives me great hope for prototype. Where Hulk was all about going mad in an urban environment, so Prototype is a kind of hyper-accelerated free-running, with the superhuman protagonist fighting and leaping his way through a futuristic New York city. Think Assassin’s Creed starring a superhuman shape-shifter. If they can avoid draping the action in knuckle-gnawing exposition it might actually be good fun too…

Thanks, Game Trailers. You’re our favourite superhuman amnesiac.

We’re hoping to bring you some more news on Prototype after Christmas.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gulag says:

If it flings itself around cities like the Hulk, keeps the speed of the first (movie-tie in) Spider-Man, and the visual polish of Assassins Creed, then that could be a pretty awesome game. Throw in a Cyberpunk aesthetic and some observations on the Trans-Humanist movement and I’m sold.

And some explosions, but I’m pretty sure they come with everything these days.

2. Solario says:

I’m definitely more interested in it now, than what I last heard of it.

3. Schadenfreude says:

If it’s more Crackdown than Assassin’s Creed then I’m very interested indeed.

4. Ryan says:

Oh wow, the guy doing rating voice at the end! PRODUHCT NOT YET RAYTUHD.

Oh, and the game looks interesting too.

5. Ryan says:

Just a fellow trucker on life’s big ol’ highway. Who accidentally left the definite article out of his last post, argh. “The rating voice” etc.

6. Pete says:

Yes, watching this one closely purely because Hulk: UD was balls to the wall fun from start to finish. Definitely an under-rated game, presume the sales figures weren’t spectacular either so hopefully this pleases both the critics AND the punters.

7. Ben says:

I loved Hulk:UD to bits, right up until the last boss fight. Then I shut off my console.

8. malkav11 says:

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was by far the most fun I have ever had in an action game. I mean, sure, other games have been smarter, more moving, more thrillingly scripted, etc. But none have ever been as purely, unadulteratedly *FUN*.

Even if I did kind of hate getting pitched through the air by homing missiles. Oh well.

9. Pod says:

Even though some of it looked ingame, I reckon it was all a lie.

Also: how many people do you think Game trailiers believes to be born on 1/1/1900? Do you think they believe me?

10. m^3 says:

I’m super-picky about my action games, and I’m watching this one closely. I think what appeals to me is the art direction (realistic and grim without being “gritty”) and the fact that it feels a hell of a lot like a small-press comic book that Warren Ellis would write. It’s an interesting superhero story without the spandex, told from the perspective of the monster himself.

I also like the horror angle of “absorbing” people; if the writers are smart they can get a lot of character mileage out of the protagonist’s personal reactions to it.

Here’s hoping they don’t screw it up. :)

11. Matthew Craig says:

“I also like the horror angle of “absorbing” people”

Oh. So it really IS the Venom segment of Ultimate Spider-Man writ large?

Thought it looked familiar.

//\Oo/\\

12. JakethePirate says:

“Think Assassin’s Creed starring a superhuman shape-shifter.”

More like: think Assassin’s Creed starring the exact same guy except now he wears a jacket. Also he’s a superhuman shape-shifter.

13. kwyjibo says:

Looks Crackdownesque from what I see. But the protagonist really has to get out of his fucking hoody and into some civilized clothes.

14. Phil H says:

Been a while since I’d heard anything on this(Game Informer cover article), but its definitely looking nice, and yeah, Hulk:UD gives them some pretty good credentials in my book, that game was sooo much fun. In particular, I really, really want to start commandeering those helicopters.

15. Mouj says:

This looks pretty neat, me wants to play it !

16. Willem says:

Amnesialol

17. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Someone make a game called “Product”.

Comment on this story