Another game to keep an eye on in 2008 is Prototype from Radical Entertainment. While their development history is a bit patchy, they did make the awesome The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which gives me great hope for prototype. Where Hulk was all about going mad in an urban environment, so Prototype is a kind of hyper-accelerated free-running, with the superhuman protagonist fighting and leaping his way through a futuristic New York city. Think Assassin’s Creed starring a superhuman shape-shifter. If they can avoid draping the action in knuckle-gnawing exposition it might actually be good fun too…

Thanks, Game Trailers. You’re our favourite superhuman amnesiac.

We’re hoping to bring you some more news on Prototype after Christmas.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Gulag says:

If it flings itself around cities like the Hulk, keeps the speed of the first (movie-tie in) Spider-Man, and the visual polish of Assassins Creed, then that could be a pretty awesome game. Throw in a Cyberpunk aesthetic and some observations on the Trans-Humanist movement and I’m sold.

And some explosions, but I’m pretty sure they come with everything these days.

2. Solario says:

I’m definitely more interested in it now, than what I last heard of it.

3. Schadenfreude says:

If it’s more Crackdown than Assassin’s Creed then I’m very interested indeed.

4. Ryan says:

Oh wow, the guy doing rating voice at the end! PRODUHCT NOT YET RAYTUHD.

Oh, and the game looks interesting too.

5. ryan in exile says:

who are you?

6. Ryan says:

Just a fellow trucker on life’s big ol’ highway. Who accidentally left the definite article out of his last post, argh. “The rating voice” etc.

7. Pete says:

Yes, watching this one closely purely because Hulk: UD was balls to the wall fun from start to finish. Definitely an under-rated game, presume the sales figures weren’t spectacular either so hopefully this pleases both the critics AND the punters.

8. Ben says:

I loved Hulk:UD to bits, right up until the last boss fight. Then I shut off my console.

9. malkav11 says:

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was by far the most fun I have ever had in an action game. I mean, sure, other games have been smarter, more moving, more thrillingly scripted, etc. But none have ever been as purely, unadulteratedly *FUN*.

Even if I did kind of hate getting pitched through the air by homing missiles. Oh well.

10. Pod says:

Even though some of it looked ingame, I reckon it was all a lie.

Also: how many people do you think Game trailiers believes to be born on 1/1/1900? Do you think they believe me?

11. m^3 says:

I’m super-picky about my action games, and I’m watching this one closely. I think what appeals to me is the art direction (realistic and grim without being “gritty”) and the fact that it feels a hell of a lot like a small-press comic book that Warren Ellis would write. It’s an interesting superhero story without the spandex, told from the perspective of the monster himself.

I also like the horror angle of “absorbing” people; if the writers are smart they can get a lot of character mileage out of the protagonist’s personal reactions to it.

Here’s hoping they don’t screw it up. :)

12. Matthew Craig says:

“I also like the horror angle of “absorbing” people”

Oh. So it really IS the Venom segment of Ultimate Spider-Man writ large?

Thought it looked familiar.

13. JakethePirate says:

“Think Assassin’s Creed starring a superhuman shape-shifter.”

More like: think Assassin’s Creed starring the exact same guy except now he wears a jacket. Also he’s a superhuman shape-shifter.

14. kwyjibo says:

Looks Crackdownesque from what I see. But the protagonist really has to get out of his fucking hoody and into some civilized clothes.

15. Phil H says:

Been a while since I’d heard anything on this(Game Informer cover article), but its definitely looking nice, and yeah, Hulk:UD gives them some pretty good credentials in my book, that game was sooo much fun. In particular, I really, really want to start commandeering those helicopters.

16. Mouj says:

This looks pretty neat, me wants to play it !

17. Willem says:

18. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Someone make a game called “Product”.