Back Once Again For The Renegade Disaster

By Alec Meer on December 12th, 2007 at 2:36 pm.

There were rumours earlier in the year about a new Command & Conquer FPS being in the works. Now they’re less rumoury. And, as anyone who’s not entirely stupid predicted, it’s not a sequel to the poorly-recieved Renegade, released back in 1946 or something, which also had the worst box art ever.

Rather, it’s a squad-based hoojum, and anyone who still persists in saying annoying stuff like “dumbed-down” about multi-format games will doubtless start their complaining now, as it’s due on the consoles too. I’m hoping for something in the vein of Republic Commando, which did squad-based sci-fi shooting very well indeed, but something along the butcher lines of Gears of War is probably more likely. It will include vehicles, however, including Titans and Orcas. That sound you hear is a million C&C fans spasming in delight.

With C&C’s usual disdain for temporal mores, it’s set 11 years on from Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars and has you playing as a GDI hardnut – so we can safely presume the Scrin don’t go on to destroy the Earth in upcoming expansion pack Kane’s Wrath. Thanks to cncnation.net for the tip-off, who’ve also got a few more details on the game, and links to naughty scans of a Game Informer preview that we couldn’t possibly post here. Oh, and it’s called Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium, which is just pointlessly confusing and bland. It should be called Command & Conquer: Big Hard Bastards instead.

(Irrelevant-o-fact: C&C Renegade was the first game I ever previewed, back when I was a mere work experience bairn on PCFormat magazine. They sent me to London to see it, where I got lost, turned up late and spent the rest of the showing hiding silently at the back of the room, staring wide-eyed and nervously eating too many biscuits.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Evo says:

Wooh :D

/sends Alec the bribe :P

This is very intriguing I must admit, I must blog on it…now! :D

Will be keeping my eyes out for any new info….

2. Lu-Tze says:

Sounds like a pick and mix of IP and ideas. The vehicles makes me think it will be like Halo, the rest that it would be like Gears of War. In theory, the perfect marriage of the 2 in a Command and Conquer universe should make the best game ever.

It’s so not going to happen is it?

3. Flint says:

I liked the original Renegage. Not great, but fun enough for a few playthroughs.

Plus the gun selection was pretty great (even if the sounds were sometimes a bit meh).

4. Flimnit says:

Props for referencing Renegade Master…..booya

5. skillian says:

Best headline ever – awesome.

6. Rockeye says:

Reminds me of the best bit of exam-desk graffiti I ever saw:

“Back once again with the quake grenade master!”

7. The_B says:

Last.FM has currently been reccomending me that song almost constantly on my Neighbour radio.

COINCIDENCE?

8. grey_painter says:

Just out of curiosity, has much changed since then?

9. Nick says:

I never liked that sort of music back when it was released but that and .. er.. meet her at the love parade? Were the two I heard that I actually put on a mix tape.

Er, anyway, the game in question if done proper like could actually be decent fun. It probably won’t be though.

10. muscrat_01 says:

Renegade was fun. Not a crap FPS – just good stupid fun.

The multiplayer on the other hand was downright awesome.

11. SightseeMC says:

And here I thought I’d be the only one to catch the reference.

You Brits are so damn quick with your ill behavior.

12. Bobsy says:

I take issue with that whole “worst boxart” thing.

Plane. Scape. Torment.

I swear I thought that it was an ugly old woman for so many years before I bought it.

13. Hump says:

Supposedly this will be single-player only. Kinda dumb because the sole saving grace of Renegade was its excellent multiplayer aspect.

Comment on this story