SPOILER: Rodents of Unusual Size exist.

By Kieron Gillen on December 12th, 2007 at 12:42 pm.

Why am I smiling? I know something you don’t know.

Thanks, Gametrailers – you would never enter a land war in Asia.

Of course, yeah, alarm bells and all that. There’s clearly room for a great Princess Bride game – it was the single clear influence on the Monkey Island games, for example. A Lucasarts Princess Bride game would have no reason not to be divine. While there’s very few details on the site, it seems that it’s taking a more mini-game sort of route. Which doesn’t bode well, though the phrase “Restore the true love meter” is – I suspect – only inadvertently funny. And, please, feel free to quote your favourite lines from the Princess Bride ad nauseum in the comments thread.

EDIT: As Dan points out in the thread, there’s footage of the game on WWBiggies showreel here. Click Games, watch the stuff with Dogs, then admire this thing which looks terrible beyond all mortal measure. The dogs are cute though. Cute dogs.

__________________

« | »

1. Mr Pink says:

Mini-games? Inconceivable!

2. Thelps says:

Minigame games make me angry. The format almost inherently detracts from the overall game quality by spreading design across many different game types. Also, these game types tend to be unified by one thing: button bashing.

Apart from the Mario Party series (and a few other Nintendo-based endeavours) they’re generally a waste of time.

ANGRY!

3. Andrew says:

Minigames. :(

4. Kieron Gillen says:

I say “seems”. It’s hard to work out, to be honest.

KG

5. Dan (WR) says:

It’s being made by Worldwide Biggies (!). If you go to their website and click on the showreel, there’s a bit on the ‘game’ (and I use the word in the loosest possible terms) after the hilarious dogs.

Ugh.

6. Mouj says:

Wow. Scary..

7. Schadenfreude says:

Looking at the showreel, it looks like one of those DVD-Video Games. Look at the section where they’re steering a boat, he says “Push left and right” and a remote control shows up on screen. This won’t even be up to the quality of a Flash game :(

8. Bozzley says:

“Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!”

Press triangle to plunge your fist into your abdomen to staunch the bleeding from a clearly fatal wound, and then press the square button at the right time to slash the face of your nemesis.

It’s just wrong.

9. roryok says:

You were Supposed to be this ‘colossus’! You were this great legendary thing! And yet he gains!

10. roryok says:

R.O.U.S Fire-swamp multiplayer FTW!

11. Wrestlevania says:

admire this thing which looks terrible beyond all mortal measure.

I’ll see your batshit website and raise you these.

12. Monkfish says:

I’m finding it hard to imagine a game based on The Princess Bride being anything other than a Monkey Island style adventure.

Looks like all the film’s wit and charm will be diluted until lost completely. Now prepared for crushing disappointment. Shame.

13. Pod says:

I can’t wait to punch sharks using a cardboard cutout fist.

14. Steve says:

Looks to me like what’s on the showreel is the 20th Anniversary DVD Game they mention on the site, since they end that bit of the reel by saying how your Gems will be worth something, which is talked about on the “Gems & Coupons” section of the PBG.com site.

15. Homunculus says:

Blimey, has it been two decades already?
    Although this served as a handy reminder to pick up the twentieth anniversary edition DVD of the film (what no region 2 release?).

16. Phil says:

Unless they release a text adventure, written by Goldman, for Buttercup’s Baby, frankly I’ll stick to Call of Duty.