The House that Nomad Built

By Alec Meer on December 13th, 2007 at 8:56 am.

Now, this is the Crysis I want to play – far more exciting than all that rubbish alien stuff.

(With apologies for the music.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Fat Zombie says:

I… it…

The…

ME WANT NOW. I want this guy’s system, and to do this with Crysis. (I can’t even play Crysis on my rig. Haven’t tried, I just know.)

2. muscrat_01 says:

Is it real time, or recorded – and had the video sped up, like the other Crysis Mass Physics video?

3. Kieron Gillen says:

That’s awesome, and gives me a terrible urge for The Authority: The Videogame, because we can have proper fucking shit up now.

KG

4. Philip says:

Someone has way too much time on their hands. And one hell of a rig.

Damn it looked cool though. And I thought spawning 500 barrels in Gary’s Mod was scary…

5. FaceOmeter says:

see all you young things talk about your digital weighted companion cubes, but at the end of the day fads pass and you all come crawwwwwling back to barrels

6. Pidesco says:

Holy fuck that’s awesome.

7. derFeef says:

I somewhere read that it took 4 seconds per frame to render, or 1 second for 4 frames? Dont know ;)
    But I am sure Its not realtime.

8. Philip says:

Out of interest, having never played Crysis (my PC would probably melt) – how do you get the barrels to swirl around like that? It looks like a shoal of barrels in places…

9. Alec Meer says:

It’s a tornado, apparently – something encountered in one of the game’s later missions.

10. Philip says:

Nice. Maybe I need to upgrade to a DX10 video card, but I can’t quite get over seeing the trees fall down post-explosion, or be ripped up by the wind…

It sometimes doesn’t look quite to scale though in the video – sort of looks like he’s playing with Coke cans rather than barrels. Must be the video resolution.

11. Chis says:

Jesus the music is AWFUL. Really, that sort of metal has no reason to exist, it just sucks. (Gimme some ‘Champs, thanks)

Impressive video though. Wonder what sort of rig the game requires in order to WATCH the 3000 barrel explosion without crashing.

12. terry says:

Mindblowing stuff. Here‘s another fun little Crysis physics video.

13. malkav11 says:

If that’s what the game looks like with the settings most/all of the way up, I think I may have to forcibly restrain myself from trying to play it on my undoubtedly inadequate system. Keep my experience pure for whenever I can actually run it remotely on that level.

14. Solario says:

Goddamit that would be excellent. Why do you put such ideas in my head, when I know we’ll never have them?

15. Toope says:

What band is this? Sounds pretty good.

16. Arcks says:

Band’s name is Kalmah.

17. Thesper says:

I don’t think anyone’s desktop could run crysis like this. From what I can tell there’s an option that lets you record at a set framerate, but the actual game runs much slower, in the video terry posted I think he said his system was running at 8 seconds per frame in order to record at 30 fps.

18. Mr Pink says:

What is he talking about when he says his PC will crash if he looks at the exploding barrels? I don’t believe him. Why on earth would that be? I want to see the actual explosion!

19. Chis says:

Perhaps the engine just keels over as it spawns all the explosion sprites/particles.

20. Ging says:

It probably hits some form of memory limit – by turning away the majority of the sprites get culled.

I liked the inferno over the shoulder effect he got when he turned to the side though, they were some big flames.

21. Abc says:

Awesome video & music!

22. Steve says:

That is what I expected playing games with a PhysX card (or whatever it is called) was going to be like. Shame its not.

23. Zuffox says:

I suddenly feel an urge to listen to Jose Gonzales’ Heartbeats cover.

24. Flint says:

The internet needs more videos like the WoW “we’re trying to kill Onyxia but fail” -video where you have the Pokémon tv series theme tune as the music. The dull idea made into an instantly awesome video just by music

25. Chis says:

> Why must all cool Youtube videos be ruined with shit music that doesn’t fit the video in any way whatsoever?

Well, obviously we all have differing taste in music. But I’d still argue some better than others. :P Personally, if I really wanted to put some metal with that video, I’d perhaps pick some Voivod or Fucking Champs. Or perhaps something a little more out there like Naked City.

26. Proper Stranger says:

that is friggen sweet!!!
    pretty impressive for the engine to render and calculate all them barrel physics

27. brandonnn says:

You’re all wrong, the video clearly should be remade to the tune of DJ/Rupture and Sister Nancy’s Little More Oil.

28. Garth says:

Ok, someone has to ask it so, has anyone made a video of two towers of boxes/barrels with a plane crashing into it?

29. Tim says:

I’m impressed.

The worst thing about youtube is the terrible soundtracks people feel compelled to add.

30. Turkey says:

Has anyone noticed that the barrels don’t interact with each other once they start falling? Mildly disappointing.

31. Wolfpox says:

Can you say “Not worth the cost”?

32. greentea says:

I actually liked the music, anyone know what band that is?

33. greentea says: