Strafe Left: The Formative Years #9

By Tim Stone on December 23rd, 2007 at 11:01 am.

Christmas is a time for giving. In 2004 SL chose to give offence, and culinary tips.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. No Picnic says:

Seriously, I know I’m going to catch some flack for this, but this isn’t cool at all. This represents literally the most important thing in the world to some people, and I am one of them. It’s the decent thing to do to respect that even if you don’t believe it. You probably wouldn’t make jokes about lynch mobs and Martin Luther King, Jr., and I know it’s an imperfect analogy, but your making light of a far more serious issue and a far more heroic individual.

Tim, you’re a bright guy with a great sense of humor. You can get laughs without messing with such a delicate issue.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

No Picnic is right: Half-Life is very important to some people. Tim, you should be more sensitive.

3. Ferox says:

Oh come on. Don’t be like those muslim guys and get angry about a cartoon. Subject of humor can be anything – from holocaust to pedophilia. It’s just a joke, it’s not a caricature.

4. John Walker says:

No Picnic, I too, as my web name may give away, am a God Botherer, and I find no offense at all in Tim’s comic. If your faith is so fragile that a cartoon making a gag about something so astonishingly irrelevant to the Christian faith that two out of four Gospels don’t even bother to mention it then I think the issue may lie outside of this cartoon.

Parody is a wonderful thing, and Christianity has survived an awful lot of it for the last couple of thousand years. I think it’ll probably scrape through a charming and harmless nativity gag (your homework today is to find the nativity story in the Bible – good luck!) by Tim.

Also, as it happens Tim absolutely WOULD make jokes of the nature you suggest he would not, and a heck of a lot more dark. Tim has the courage of his convictions. Hint, hint.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

And isn’t Easter more important anyway?

PRIORTIES.

KG

6. Janek says:

The level of offense likely to be caused is probably indicated by the fact that my first thought on reading No Picnic’s comment was sort of a more confused version of Jim’s comment. Also I initially thought the heroic figure he mentioned was Gordon Freeman.

I was pretty confused.

7. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Let’s not get the Evangelical Gordonites all riled up, now.

Play nice.

8. Qjuad says:

I’m offended that it isn’t funny.

9. Qjuad says:

…though I confess mute Gordon always makes me chuckle.

10. bildo says:

Has anyone here ever heard of the old Nickelodeon show Rugrats? Back in the early nineties they had a show about Passover and the babies played the roles…of a handful of Hebrews (I can’t remember all their names). That was no big deal…but at least it was funnier than this cartoon : P

11. DigitalSignalX says:

I laughed more at comment 2 then the cartoon itself. Have to agree though that the silent Gordon has only just begun to have it’s comic potential tapped.

12. Zaph says:

No Picnic’s comment reminds me of something from Family Guy;

“We’ve got to stop this! It’s blasphemy!”
    “There’s nothing we can do.”
    “Hmm. I guess I’ll have to develop a sense of humor.”

13. Goldstein says:

Am I the only one here astonished by the fact that Half-Life 2 is 3 years old?

For some reason I think a Portal nativity scene would be brilliant.

14. James says:

No Picnic = Fake Gabe Newell?

Interesting…

15. Pesh says:

This comments page would have been so much more boring without someone coming in on the first post saying it’s offensive.

16. Tom Lillis says:

Ah, I always suspected Rossignol was my favorite. Now I know it to be true.

In any event, Merry Christmas, RPSites. Or Happy Christmas, I guess, for those of us who prefer to render it that way. Let’s all enjoy our day of family and so on, and then arm ourselves for Boxing Day.

17. Lh'owon says:

More important than the happiness, well-being and ongoing existence of living people? Rather a disturbing sentiment I feel.

It’s the decent thing to do to respect that even if you don’t believe it.

N-no… No, it isn’t. You don’t have to respect people’s beliefs. People, yes. Beliefs, no.

18. Mr Blackett says:

@Lh’owon – I’m going to have to disagree with you there. You don’t have to respect people or their beliefs.

Tolerate, yes. Respect, no.

19. Zaptrack says:

Hell, you don’t even have to tolerate. There’s like a billion redneck christains going on a hunt and ranting about the homosexual agenda (Frankly my dear I wouldn’t touch little billy with a ninety foot pole)

Clearly, homosexuals don’t believe in god, because, from my limited knowledge of the bible, homosexuality is a sin.

The point I’m trying to make here is that any idiot can claim to be a huge christain and how it means the world to them, but it takes a true genius of the modern age to get offended by a slightly funny comic from some webcomic they’ve most likely never heard of.

Come all, let’s draw a team fortress 2 version of budhism.

20. Nick says:

Quick, put up the Mini-map one to draw away attention!