Merry Christmas One And All

By John Walker on December 25th, 2007 at 12:55 pm.

Merry greetings of the season to you, kindly RPS faithful.

The best Christmas game of them all.

I can’t help but note that in between belting out carols and wolfing roast, you’re sat at your computer ignoring the dreadful people you’re forced to spend the entire day with.

So what are you playing to celebrate the birth of the baby Santa?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. FaceOmeter says:

Well, thanks for that John. I just spent about 10 minutes trying to get Christmas Lemmings working on this PC. It isn’t happening.

But I *will* be singing 16-bit lemmings tunes all day, regardless of what my family do to try and stop me.

Merry Christmas one and all!

2. Thiefsie says:

I’m playing Mass Effect, and enjoying it much more than any other RPG of recent memory I’ve tried (Witcher not yet tried)

3. Thelps says:

Merry Christmas you misanthropes! I hope I get pixels on this special day. Last year’s polygons cut me unmerciful.

4. maybecca says:

I’m buying, and then playing, Pokemon Snap on the VC. I’ve been meaning to grab it, and now I have an excuse to spend some points.

Not that I need one, of course.

5. Mathonar says:

I’m at the in-laws with my laptop which isn’t good enough for serious gaming. So i’ve installed Steam and bought Peggle in their sale :)

6. Saul says:

I got a new (2nd-hand) video card, which was nice.. now I just have to rebuild my machine to be a couple of degrees awesomer than it is, though still way less awesome than I’d need to do Crysis justice. At least I might be able to voice-chat and not have TF2 crap its pants…

7. No Picnic says:

Greetings, Westerners! I come from the FUTURE (China’s time zone) where Christmas day is almost over. I am happy to report that the world will not end in a terrible nuclear holocaust before Christmas is over.

Oh, while you were playing Peggle I had my apartment full of pretty Asian girls (and one other guy) and we had a soberiffic time. :D

8. Seniath says:

I’m spending the day with relatives, but will hopefully be home in time to do some good ‘plex based action with my EVE partner-in-crime.

As for presents, well, the 8800 GTS I got for my birthday in November was really a birthday/christmas combi-present, so not getting much.

9. Frosty840 says:

Football Manager 2008 for me.
    Merry Christmas, you miserable lot. :D

10. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Merry Christmas you suspiciously handsome bastards!

The only remotely gaming activities I’ll be partaking in today will be Wii and GHIII playing with drunken relatives. Joy!

11. Martin says:

I was actually playing non-computer games (Shock! Horror! Recoil!). Card and table-top games to be a bit more specific.

I would’ve been playing Rock Band (as my brother got me that) if anyone could see fit to release it here in Sweden already.

But then again – if the delay means that the guitars won’t break upon touching them I’m willing to wait another month.

Anyhow, a Merry Christmas to you all!

12. lalahsghost says:

Ugh, I didn’t sleep. I stayed up beating ep2 for the third or fourth time, bought Psychonauts for the great $9.99 price-tag and still moaning about the ApLabs Coffee Mug Debacle. (What next in the parade of constant interruptions?)

RPS – I like you guys verymuchso. I believe I will sign up as a legit acct as my new year’s resolution :).

13. Matt says:

Merry bonfire egg to all!

I’ve finally plucked up the courage to continue with Stalker. I’ve done something bloody stupid though, used all my bandages when entering the underground part full of zombies with guns, and saved the game accidentally when I was seconds from death, meaning I’ve had to download a trainer to keep me alive till I find enough bandages. Well… It’s either that or start from the beginning, and that ain’t gonna happen. I feel like a fraud though… I guess I am :(

14. Yhancik says:

I once played Operation Flashpoint with a friend on xmas, and all there were xmas trees everywhere.

Next year we should compile a list of Xmas Easter Eggs in games ;)

15. drunkymonkey says:

Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, God War 2, Opposing Fronts, and Call of Duty 4.

HURRAY!

16. DigitalSignalX says:

Happy Holidays!

COD4 is freshly installed late last night for today, but will most likely have to wait till tonight as there is way too much cooking and family pestering to camp out at the PC for longer then 20 minutes :(

17. Monkfish says:

Joyeux Noël, mon amis! (no idea why I’ve gone all French, all of a sudden)

I now have a nice, shiny copy of Gears of War, so I’ll be settling in for an evening of that, bringing festive cheer to the Locust Horde by means of big guns with chainsaws on them.

18. Stew says:

With my family, and somehow managed to receive no computer games at all. Which is bloody annoying, as now I have to go buy all those things I was holding off getting myself. Cock.

Being with my family, I’ve just got my macbook for comfort. In between 1000 words of work, I’ve been playing lots of fan modules for NWN, and completed another mission in Fallout 2. I’m jonesing like a bastard for my desktop, so I could run away to Paragon City for a while, though.

19. Willem says:

Zalig Kerstfeest, you gays!

I’m playing Company of Heroes at the moment.

20. Pod says:

I never understood why it wasn’t called Snow No! More Lemmings :(

I’ll be playing: TF2/Empires (if anyone else is playing). I might play Homeworld 2 as I only installed it for the first time yesterday. The campaign/story has already annoyed me immensly already, but the skirmish is mega fun. I may even play it online!

21. Max says:

Second Sight again. Free Radical Design ftw.

22. apathy0o0 says:

Merry Gear Solid which is a Metal Gear Solid parody where you deliver presents, and is kinda funny.

23. roBurky says:

I’ve just been given Viva Pinata for the PC, so I’m installing that now.

24. zaptrack says:

TF2. In celebration of christmas I gave pyro a shot, and he has won my heart. Go on, brave little pyro. Fly free.

25. Zaph says:

Soberiffic? [Does not compute.] Does it mean “no action”?

As for the celebration of infant Santa, I believe I shall follow tradition; dousing my limber limbs in the blood of five virgin goats, and drinking ale until I pass out during an intense game of Scrabble.
    The Yuletides were kind to me this year; I received Guitar Hero 3, along with Metroid and Super Paper Mario. I’ll probably still find time for some TF2, though.

26. Zeno, Internetographer says:

New external hard-drive means that I’ll be playing every ROM I can get my hands on :)

Merry Holiday, everynyun.

27. rotated8 says:

Kingdom of Loathing! That game is addictive… Plus, with special Crimbo adventures, you can’t go wrong.

But also Mass Effect, and the Orange Box, and Call of Duty 4. Spread the love around, right?

28. Masked Dave says:

Well I’m at the rentals, so most of my gaming opportunities were absent. But my Dad has a 360 and a copy of the Orange Box that I bought for his birthday (he got BioShock for Christmas), so I played a couple of rounds of TF2 (haha, Xbox players are *rubbish* I cleaned up!) and played Portal from start to finish (woo! Gamer points!) while waiting for the whole household to rise.

Then my dad was showing me where he got to on Assassin’s Creed last night before getting stuck (he’s trying to get to the final ‘hidden’ area but got that Memory Failed wall thing.)

Then the two of us and my brother jumped into my new copy of COD4 after dinner for a couple of hours.

So I wasn’t using it to avoid my family I’m afraid (neither was I on the PC… hell, I’m on a Mac now… I hope you can forgive me) but there was a good deal of gaming going on this Christmas!

Also received The Phantom Hourglass, so I’ll probably getting into that soon.

29. Butler says:

SupCom + expansion pack for £17,

nuff said.

30. Matt Dovey says:

EVE: Online has finally tempted me out of my long-held-opposition to monthly charges and drawn me in, so I’ve been running away from the family at regular intervals to switch skill training and set up a few more sell orders. Ahem.

Also, isn’t that tag missing a “la”? ISN’T IT? Yes it is.

31. eoy says:

WoW & Call of Duty4!

32. dartt says:

Merry thing, all.

I got the Company of Heroes expansion, Super Mario Galaxies and Blade Runner: The Directors Final Last One We Promise Cut, whoop!

33. Iain says:

In the absence of being with my real family this Christmas, this year I spent pretty much all of Christmas Day playing with my virtual family in Sims 2. (Note the timestamp – I’ve only just stopped playing)

In the last ten hours or so, I’ve sired three children by two different women, become Mayor, custom built a huge mansion, and managed not to have the traditional drunken, blazing row with my parents while playing Trivial Pursuit. I should do Christmas like this every year… it’s much more fun!

34. Subsonic says:

Merry Christmas, you suckers!

All’s quiet on the home front now so I’ll be under The Witcher‘s spell for the next three hours.

Thanks for all the fish, RPG!

35. Tim says:

I spent it playing lots of TF2, between maps sneaking out to get more xmas food.

36. Krupo says:

OMG, yay Christmas Lemmings. Happy memories.

Best Girlfriend in the World got someone a copy of Crysis.

Had to try it out in Delta & max detail at 960-widescreen rez, so far so awesome. Now time to finish level 19 of Portal I thinks.

Hope the RPS crew had a good time too!

37. Sucram says:

Yesterday my brother and I played some TF2, much amused by laughing heavies in party hats.

Have also just launched ST-Sound to play old lemmings tunes.

38. erp says:

It warms my heart that people are still playing Second Sight, it really does!

As for the original point of this thread: my gaming highlight of this Xmas has been watching my brothers play Mario Galaxy. I know this is a PC gaming forum, and I know this answer doesn’t involve me actually playing anything, but that game is so fun even just to watch that it’s still true so there. :)

39. Stick says:

I, erm, requested Stalker in my stocking. (Or I would’ve, if we used stockings.) And, yes, you lot are entirely to blame for this.

Been too preoccupied with TF2 – and a visit to EVE – to actually install it, though. (Lots of new guys on the servers lead to hilariously surreal rounds of Dustbowl. “What’s this class stuff? Where are we going? Why is there a knife in my spine?”)

40. Optimaximal says:

I (unfortunately) couldn’t get any playing in on either Christmas Day nor Boxing Day… I feel distraut at such a fact and will now spend my day back at work doing sweet FA as a reward.

Then i’ll go home and play some TF2.