Snowy Joe

By John Walker on January 2nd, 2008 at 12:51 am.

Fancy some Wintery cheer? How about a quick game of Snowy Joe?

Better than Fire & Ice, that's for sure.

From the creator of a sweet little indie game, Twister, Gray Poyda’s new game is something he describes to us as a, “little winter giveaway. Just like in the old days :)”

It’s a platformer, where you use your arsenal of snowballs to shoot down bonuses, access keys, and unlock the exit door to the level.

It’s very reminiscent of those chunky platform games you’d play the demo of from the ST Format coverdisc, enjoy, but never buy the full version for. Capturing that atmosphere of brevity and clumsy fun, it’s a little bit of seasonal light-heartedness to see you through a cold, winter’s spare hour or two.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Piratepete says:

Either John has missed his beddie byes or he is an early riser like me (meh 2nd Jan and back to work, rubbish)

I know what my money is on tho.

Looks like a nice little platformer, I like the character graphics.

2. Meat Circus says:

If you read ST Format, that means you were Atari-owning SCUM and must die.

AMIGA POWER!

3. Piratepete says:

blimey thats a bit harsh. Happy New Year Meat Circus!

4. John Walker says:

Oh, don’t I know it. Imagine only having ST Format to read, when the other kids had AP. Shouting at me now only makes the deep scars ache harder.

5. Piratepete says:

John,

Imagine the emotional damage my parents inflicted on me when instead of the long anticipated Spectrum, for my birthday I received a Sharp computery thing no one had ever heard of and had about four games for it. I can’t even remember what it was called but i played the Qubert clone on it for about an hour then made polite excuses about not using it for the rest of the year. Secretly plotting vengeance by getting a job when i was old enough to by my spectrum. As it turned out I was only old enough when the amiga came out.

I feel your pain mate I really do

6. Meat Circus says:

Well, I mainly read Amiga Format not Amiga Power, which was a bit lightweight at times and I felt tended to have unflinchingly lightweight game reviews. However, “AMIGA FORMAT!” doesn’t work nearly as well as “AMIGA POWER!” as a call to arms to the Amiga Defence Force true believers.

7. Meat Circus says:

@Piratepete:

blimey thats a bit harsh

Sounds like somebody who was on the fence during the Amiga/Atari ST wars. I bet you had a PC. We hated people like you most of all.

8. John Walker says:

Ha ha! You HAD an Amiga and still read the wrong magazine! You’re way lamer than I’ll ever be!

9. Sam says:

Hrm. I read Amiga Power and Amiga Format (and bought CU Amiga a couple of times for the coverdisks), and I’m not sure how you would have thought the reviews were lightweight. Some of them were a bit “experimental”, but other than that…

10. Kieron Gillen says:

Amiga Power never gave Microcosm 90% despite thinking it was shit.

KG

11. Meat Circus says:

Well, I don’t really remember clearly now, but Amiga Power seemed to be a rather fun magazine, which is of no use to an angst-ridden teenage geek sulking in his bedroom in darkest Basildon in the early nineties.

I wanted misery and suffering, or failing that, a nice demo with AMOS source code on the coverdisc that I could look at.

All Amiga Power offered was silliness. I wasn’t cool enough for that.

12. Sam says:

Not so much silliness as silliness, anger (especially later on, I recall), willful experimentation and the moments of self-indulgent oddness. Plus, the guts to actually give games 2% if they were dire. It was perfect for me in my own early-mid teenage years…

13. Kieron Gillen says:

The line Nash used on AP2 was something like…
    “We were always funny (hopefully). We were never joking”.

KG

14. Phil says:

Pardon the nostalgia but… Jonathan Nash and Charlie Brooker were my two favourite reviewers when I was growing up – Now one is on Have I Got News for You and a writes for the Guardian and the other has apparently dematerialised.

This is a shame as I thought Nash’s whimsically narrative-led concept reviews were the best thing ever – I had a sheltered childhood clearly.

Does anyone know if he’s still writing anything (aside from the apparently defunked the weekly)?

15. Meat Circus says:

He’s either ascended to a higher plane of existence like Wesley Crusher or been absorbed wholly into Stuart Campbell.

16. Sam says:

No – the last thing I saw Jonathan Nash involved with was The Weekly, with Mil “Reader” Millington.

Kieron, on the other hand, probably knows where most of the AP crowd got to (didn’t you do some collaboration with Stuart Campbell and Jonathan Nash, post-“C Monster” period, Kieron?)

17. Phil says:

@Sam
    The Weekly was apparently finally killed thanks to the skulduggery and utter arseholiness of its server provider – the last thing I read from Nash was an account of how badly they were let down.

They had actually stopped updating it years before that though.

@Meat Circus

Since when is writing the retro column for the Onion a higher plane of existence? Or have you bought into the hipster hype?

18. Kieron Gillen says:

Wil Wheaton is alive and well. As is J Nash. No-one knows where J Nash is, but that’s always been part of his charm.

The Nash/Campbell/Me production is Digiworld, of which an offline version is available.

KG

19. Matt Dovey says:

Having never come across Digiworld before but being delightfully excited by it now, is it safe to assume that this is the bastard offspring of the Internet and the rather glorious Digitser from Ch4 Teletext, or simply a eulogy to that long lost paramour?

20. Kieron Gillen says:

Er… it’s a long story.

When it started, Mr Biffo was meant to be involved with the project. In fact, he did some stuff in the first week.

Then he wasn’t.