Cursor * 10

By John Walker on January 4th, 2008 at 11:33 am.

Here’s your Friday challenge, internet children:

The ideal form of co-op.

It’s Cursor * 10.

It’s a simple enough affair – you click on the stairs to climb a level, hold down switches to reveal new stairways, or click on the boxes/pyramids to reveal other secrets. Thing is, you need more than one cursor to make it through. In fact, you need ten. Play through once, reach as far as you can, and then the game resets with your previous cursor as a ‘ghost’. It’s one-player co-op! The best possible form of co-op. (Thanks to the lovely Simon for the link).

So go on – complete it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Piratepete says:

wha……….?

how very odd. Another one for the list when i get home from ‘work’

2. Piratepete says:

Snuck a quick game in. Very nice, and an interesting idea, could be expanded to give some great possibilities i reckon. Another winner from RPS

3. Pidesco says:

Happy New Year!

4. Seniath says:

I should be revising, dammit!

5. Champagne O'Leary says:

Done on first try! I’m usually awful at these things.

Very nice game though, great idea.

6. Bobsy says:

Hm. My best score is 85. Floor 15 stumped me though. Three buttons to hold down but still no stairs.

7. Bobsy says:

Ah, did it. Yeah. A happy new year.

8. akbar says:

Ha! Brilliant. Champagne, how you did it first go I will never know.

THIS IS WHAT GAMES SHOULD BE

No, really. That got me as excited as, like, Peggle.

9. Thiefsie says:

Oh man I was cut, I did it up to the fifteenth floor getting EVERY point (triangle thingy) and was there happily waiting for that spoiler button to be pressed (see below) with 150 milliseconds to go, but it didnt appear, and I swear the arrow doing that last switch I moved off at about 100ms to go… so i stopped clicking the area where it appears… essentially giving up… then bam, with about 20-30ms to go it appears (my memory of clicking that button must be retarded) and I wasn’t quick enough to click it before my final pointer ran out. ARGH!@!

haha

Spoiler….

there is a switch for the final floor on a lower floor – just look for it.

10. Lu-Tze says:

I can’t help thinking how this could be turned into a mechanic for a Portal esque game…

Giving a future version of yourself a boost up would be… interesting.

11. Frosty840 says:

First time :D
    Just ’cause I’m a wrong-headed, paranoid bastard, though.

12. Champagne O'Leary says:

@akbar

I thought I was done for, but I had 1 more cursor than I thought. Thankfully I caught on to what needed to be done in addition to floor 15 just in the nick of time.

13. Fat Zombie says:

Very clever, and very fun. Plus the sight of my previous pointers, scrabbling around like a crowd of hyperactive, pointy squirrels is hilarious.

One thing, though; I don’t seem to be able to get past my initial score of 100. Any ideas on what you do to make it better?

14. Fat Zombie says:

Alright, you can poke those pyramid thingies. I gots meself 183.

15. Pod says:

Does anyone else feel this was inspired by some of the “time” related ideas on 300 Game Mechanics?

16. Fat Zombie says:

AND! AND! Someone on that other site, Kotaku, linked to a video of an old PSX Yaroze game (the weird homebrew ones you’d get on the OPM demo discs), Timeslip.

Watching that filled me with gleeful nostalgia. I LOVED THAT GAME.

17. Randy says:

Best score for me and I worked hard at it. Finished using the minimum 5 cursors, got the max 188 points, and had 116 left on the clock. good luck!

Comment on this story