Demigod Fully Announced

By Kieron Gillen on January 4th, 2008 at 11:34 am.

It’s good to have a nice brag. 1UP, courtesy of their real world organ Games for Windows, are having a nice brag about announcing Gas Powered Games new game, Demigod. And who can blame them? We’d have a nice brag too if we had a proper exclusive like that.

Give us Demi more! We'll be here all week.

While most of the details are being saved for the magazine, the game’s based around the famous Defence of the Ancients mod for Warcraft III, where you power up one hero through adventuring and try and wipe out the opposing team. It’s primarily a multiplayer game, with the single-player primarily as a place to learn how to move around and level up and… FUCKING HELL! LOOK AT THAT THING WITH THE TOWERS ON ITS SHOULDERS. THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME.

(Hopefully)

Actually, a few more notes on this one…

Firstly, let me have a brag too. I’d actually seen the art before. When I was visiting Gas Powered Games, Chris Taylor takes a very cheerfully careless approach to unannounced projects. Where other developers cover up entire walls and say that you can’t turn THAT way or go down THAT corridor on pain of death, Chris cheerily walks past rooms full of people saying things like – I paraphrase – “Yeah, that’s for a game we haven’t announced yet, but look at that art? Isn’t it awesome!”. It says a lot about the like that Taylor engenders that no-one actually does a GAS POWERED GAMES HAS UNANNOUNCED GAMES story. Which, for me, is good as… well, it’s not much of a story, and that desperate hit-chasing is a little pathetic.

Secondly, when I saw it – an enormous cut out of the Rook character with the tower-shoulders – it was clear it was something I wanted to write about as soon as possible. One part Shadow of the Colossus to one part Giants, it had to be neat. At least, neat in screenshots.

Thirdly, thinking more about the game – putting aside Defence of the Ancients comparison – what comes to mind is Sacrifice, specifically the direction it was heading in theorised sequels – the moving around the levels, the levelling up, the quasi-RPG in a limited tactical situation stuff. Which let’s hope isn’t a death-curse on this poor thing. Giants? Sacrifice? We’re not talking about big sellers here.

Fourthly, spookily, just before Christmas an Editor friend of mine was ranting how he wished someone would make a game expanding on Defence of the Ancients. Spooks.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Freelancepolice says:

It is indeed ace art, game sounds fun as well

2. Seniath says:

Sacrifice, Giants and Shadow of the Colossus all under one roof? Sign me up!

3. drunkymonkey says:

Never got into the DotA craze regrettably. I’d like to try this one out.

4. Sucram says:

Played DotA years ago, as with Tower Defence I just thought of it as a quite interesting type of custom map, didn’t realised it became so popular (tournaments, chart music etc. ) until now.

Anyway, I remember DotA being quite fun, but not ‘somebody should a full retail game out of this’ fun.

5. Shanucore says:

Ahh, Citizen Kabuto. That was a quality game. So unusual to see such different types of gaming all under the same roof – with the same engine. I wish there had been a few more of the RTS-style components as despite their simplicity I really enjoyed them.

6. Matthew Gallant says:

The thing with the towers on its shoulders reminds me of Howl’s Moving Castle. Exciting!

7. Phil says:

@Shanucore

All I really recall about the game was running through the last levels, utterly ignoring the sea devils or whatever they were, like King Kong doing a marathon. Oh, and the Maw-cam.

8. Thiefsie says:

Shadow of the Collossus, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Black & White, Sacrifice, Supreme Commander and DotA all rolled into one?!?! woah… hehe

9. Andrew says:

As long as there’s very little Supreme Commander, that mix could be pretty good.

10. SwiftRanger says:

Not exactly, every RTS or semi-RTS would fare well with some of the SupCom interface possibilities. The design of that Demigod screenshot alone makes clear GPG isn’t aiming for the “big, lifeless robot army” look of SupCom.

11. cliffski says:

All games seem awesome based on a single touched up screenshot. Wake me up when I can play the demo

12. Ohle says:

Grrrrreat, now I get to have some dirty discussion with Chris Taylor about the inspiration for a thing with towering boobs on its back.

13. yns88 says:

I dunno, I’m still not sure I can trust Chris Taylor after the horror that was the Dungeon Siege games.

14. fluffy bunny says:

Wow, looking good!

15. Vexor says:

I’d personally love to see a Giants 2. Where has the games humor gone… Obviously Portal, but really that’s the only release of 2007 with some decent humor. Oh and Overlord, but still. Really lacking in this department.

16. cliffski says:

another vote for giants 2. the original was awesome, even though I never finished it, I still remember it as being excellent.

17. SenatorPalpatine says:

I used to play some dota, it was pretty fun. Also, I did have some fun with Supreme Commander, for a bit. So I’ll look forward to this.