More Gaming Virtuality

By Jim Rossignol on January 11th, 2008 at 11:13 am.

Ole from Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe has written to tell us about their Quake III hack for a wraparound screen. The video is pretty impressive, and shows people deathmatching using the giant multi-projector contraption.

Virtual Reality gaming without the funky headgear, anyone?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Kast says:

You need a wii-mote and nunchuk like configuration here. Meaning a thumb-stick in one hand to control movement and a pointer in the other to aim and shoot.

Still, looks all kind of awesome :) Good party game. That lad in red’s really getting into it. XD

2. Meat Circus says:

Dear RPS,

Why, oh why, do you keep ignoring that head-tracking video that’s been over teh internets, when it clearly has far more immediate relevance to gaming than any MAGIC PYRAMID or huge multi-projector wraparound screen monstrosity?

This is what happens when you interesting links to John Walker when he’s otherwise engaged by an evaluation copy of American Gladiators.

3. moromete says:

Any chance for a Quake III hack for a sphere?

4. derFeef says:

Lol who wants to paly like that?? … I hate this virtual + curved display things. If such things are gonna be the future of gaming, then I quit gaming. If I want to move around, I prefer to go out and make sport or something like that.

There are good reasons why the “old fashioned way of gaming” with a monitor or TV in front of you is successful.

5. Jim Rossignol says:

This thing looks hilarious too.

6. derFeef says:

Hehe Jim. I hope something like that will never be succesfull. It looks ridiculous.

7. Sam says:

All of these “giant projected 3d” things are, of course, incredibly silly (but then, this seems to be the point of the article?). Meat Circus is quite right in noting that any “3d” solution that actually works for a home user is probably going to do head-tracking, or involve a much more miniaturised version of those bulky VR goggles…

8. Sam says:

@moromete:

No, but there’s this relatively well-known example of Doom on a Sphere.

9. dartt says:

Thank goodness! No more shall we look like fools in our VR goggles; now we can just duck in to our giant projection halo and dance about looking asthmatic!

10. Surprise says:

He, im from Karlsruhe and read about that on this blog.

Feels kinda weird :-)

11. Mark Stevens says:

I like the one guy who really gets into it by jumping around, ducking, grasping his controller with two hands like it’s a real gun, etc.

12. Junior says:

So where do I look for my own 3d gaming fix these days?

I’m guessing that with their massive refresh rate requirements the ol’ shutter goggles aren’t very popular these days.

But I’d have thought with the advent of widescreen that stereoscopic mods would be more popular these days.

I’ve only played one game in true 3d, and that was amazing, I WANT MORE!

13. Dan Forever says:

Whilst the head tracking thing is pretty sweet, you are still limited to looking at a screen, so you can only turn your head as far as the edges of your screen.
    The wrap around screen means you don’t have to abstract the desire to turn into a hand movement for a mouse, you can just turn your head and see. OK it’s not cheap, but that’s not the point…

14. quibbles says:

Looks more fun on a keyboard and mouse.

15. Scott says:

I would love to see someone strafe-jumping in that thing… XD

16. restricted3 says:

I have to say I’m with Meat Circus. This guy has impressed me more in a couple of months that many hardware companies in years.

The fact that this soft can give you a 3D sensation in a puny YouTube little video speaks volumes. Someone should give some millions to this guy!

17. go says: