The Agency Opens A Window

By John Walker on January 16th, 2008 at 4:50 pm.

To work at RPS, the only necessary qualification is to be a spy. Interest in videogames comes second. Secret agenting comes first.

RPS HQ

While we obviously can’t tell you which spy agencies we work for, what we can tell you is that The Agency isn’t likely to match up to our lifestyles. But despite that, as sort-of-MMOs go, it looks like it could be full of fun. Combining more traditional MMO features with more traditional online FPS features, it’s… oh, why listen to me when you can hear what the developer has to say (ignoring all the stuff about PS3 Home). But only if you can find the super secret spy button below.

Secret code: Ganks Tramethailers

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Slappybag says:

omg awesome! Gotta pleh this tbh!

2. Jens Arnesen says:

It looks pretty cool – but I really can’t help but think how vulnerable a game like this is to high ping timers. Living in a fairly desolate place that’s barely got a DLS connection, I run WoW consistently on 300 ms on a good day – I have massive troubles tanking or healing already… So what happens when I have to aim and point a gun, not to mention avoid visual contact in sneaky-sneaky missions? I’m looking forward to trying it out, but I have my doubts.

3. Heartless_ says:

Looks cool? Please. Every bit of game play they show for this steaming pile makes me want to puke. The game play looks absolutely horrid, slow, and boring. The only thing people will remember about this game is that it was a failed FPS that tried to be an MMORPG as well.

4. ryan in exile says:

i conducted this interview and i can only say i wish all devs were this enthusiastic without seeming overly PRy. games sounds fun fun fun and thank god accuracy isn’t dependent on a stat

5. Cyren says:

Actually, that guy came across as really PR’y. He was way too excited about stuff like reputation grinds and mini games. The answer to people wanting to log on for a short period is Q-Bert? Really?

6. Lacero says:

I know I’m being naive, but I like the sound of this and I’m holding out hope it won’t suck like most MMOs.

I liked evil genius too though, the world needs more spy games.

7. kadayi says:

I think they have some interesting ideas (NPC operatives, the Alias system), but the nature of the game seems like it might prove too limited in terms of scope. Effectively you’ve a game built around what would be a sole character class in any other game. How much mileage you are going to be able to get out of it is debatable in terms of variety of missions etc.

8. matte_k says:

Lacero: Good call, Evil Genius! I’m going to have to dig that out and play again (rummages for old copy…)

9. DigitalSignalX says:

I suddenly want to see a first person spy shooter with a giant hand randomly poking and gesturing at your character.

That said, the whole scope and concept made me laugh, which perhaps is not the reaction they are looking for :(

10. ryan in exile says:

PR people sound much much much worst.

11. Lu-Tze says:

Goddamn spies…
    ***Pyros up***
    EN FUEGO!

12. Stick says:

*stab, stabbity, scorch, crisp, argggh*

Lu-Tze: damn you. Now I want a Valve-made PvP-centric MMO.

Comment on this story