Wicked Defense

By Tim Stone on January 18th, 2008 at 3:50 pm.

AGEOD had a busy year last year. In between making my favourite wargame of 2007 and my second favourite wargame of 2007 they somehow found the time to sign-up promising projects from Tchounga Games and Ixchel Studios. Montjoie, a stripped-down Hundred Years War TBS based on the board game of the same name, turns out to be one of their pigeons, as does Wicked Defense, a spangly Darwinia-scented strategy affair obviously inspired by Warcraft 3′s Tower Defence maps. The English demos for both games are barely a day old and well worth a look.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Went to the Montjoie site, first thing to catch my eye was that the Hundred Years War started in 1337. Truly, this is a good omen.

2. Jon says:

Was the second thing that caught your eye that the Hundred Years War didn’t end in 1437?

3. Meat Circus says:

As any fule no, it ended in 20X6.

4. Theory says:

Compelling, until you realise how long it’s going to take for your health to run down in each game. I was still on a hundred and something when the demo limit kicked in!

5. Tim Stone says:

I assume the ‘tricky’ and ‘insane’ maps in the full version offer more of a challenge. The map editor lets you alter stuff like starting health, mana and money, so, if needs be I guess you can always toughen the maps yourself.

6. Tim Stone says:

No idea if this is intentional, but if you start the map editor without starting the demo, you seem to be able to open, edit, and play (F9) all of the maps, not just the unlocked ones. Adding ‘fast’ and ‘heal’ tiles to maps like Composite sure ramps up the challenge.

7. Svenska says:

I’ve been messing around the with Montjoie demo, and while it’s fun, I’ve got a question. To me, it seems that once you take some hits, there isn’t a whole lot you can do to stop yourself from losing. You generate less income, which means less forts, and less extra cards, which means you can’t attack or defend as well. It just starts this awful downward spin that I can never recover from.

Is this true for anyone else?

8. Cian says:

Montjoie has just consumed my entire evening (and apparently, some of this morning). Weathering dark times only to conservatively triumph later is very rewarding indeed.

9. Svenska says:

It seems like it would be fun….except weathering those dark times is damn near impossible. Once I lose the cash flow, I can never recover.

10. Tim Stone says:

Yes, it’s hard to stop the rot once it starts. The trick is not letting it start. Which is impossible sometimes.

I tend to spend more on cards than on fortifications early on (more flexibility) and use attack incentives a lot to try and peg back strong factions. If you play late in the round you can get lots of useful clues from watching your opponents’ alliance proposals and incentive placements. Concentrate on one-town provinces. Don’t throw good cards into hopeless defensive battles. Don’t get too hung-up on building a contiguous realm… but you probably know all this stuff already.