Savage 2: A Tortured Soul released

By Kieron Gillen on January 21st, 2008 at 11:15 pm.

When I am a mage, I shall wear purple.

Catching up over the last few days of PC news – I’ve been deep in IGF nominees and Sins of a Solar Empire - I noticed that Savage 2’s been released. The full game’s just short of thirty dollars, but you get a full five hour trial to evaluate whether this brand of team-based strategy/action hybrid-thing if you can find the bandwidth to download the about-42-Peggles client. I admit, I haven’t played either it or the original, but it’s always seemed at least interesting in terms of having separate class-based teams and high-level RTS commanders. Our old mate Tom Bramwell over at Eurogamer liked the original it anyway, and he’s not always drunk at the keyboard.

Is anyone playing it? Is anyone tempted TO PLAY IT? Will anyone click the link to see the new TRAILER and associated time-line of highlights with added mild snark and jokes at Walker’s expense?

For the latter, signs point to “some”.

0:07 – Ooh, scary blood on the logo. Ooh.
0:22 – A black screen
0:24 – A bit more black screen. Get a move on.
0:28 – Fucking hell! It’s a big thing with a club. Presumably you don’t play the game from this in-front-of-the-player angle. That’s the sort of design flaw you think should get worked out during development.
00:39 – Ooh, and a tank-type thing. Looks like the sort of ingenious device Dwarfs would make. Actually, while we’re on the subject, have you seen what Lineage 2’s dwarfs look like? Males ones look like this. Female ones look like this. Can you imagine them having sex? Well stop it immediately. There’s laws against that. It’s like a race solely consisting of dirty old men and jailbait.
0:46 – An uninspiring top-down fight between two people.
0:54 – And the tank’s been set on fire by what look like goblins. Those scamps.
1:01 – Ah, there’s another tank. And another behind him. They do like their tanks. Actually, they have wheels not treads, so aren’t tanks. They’re armoured cars. RPS apologises, and hides its shame beneath by writing in the third-person.
1:07: Ooh, drag and click interface in a top down way. I hope it has lots of hotkeys, because then Tom Chick would get excited. He sure does like his hotkeys.
1:12 – And a tower being built, probably showing how commanders deal with the economy in game.
1:16 – A floaty, fiery thing floating and setting things on fire. At night, which means its handy he glows.
1: 32 – A thief-looking guy creeps up and (er) does something. The fiery thing explodes.
1:38 – Some top down combat. I wonder if the people playing Commanders enjoy the sense of distance and power, as if imagining themselves in a tower, looking down on the pitiful ant-like people. Perhaps they throw coins down, but when the other players camper to get them, they realise it’s only silver-milk-bottle tops. Bastards.
1:54 – And back to the third person thing. A knight running around not getting stuck into the combat right in front of him. Bloody coward.
2:02 – The tank-armoued car thing again, which actually now reminds me of a Warhammer 40k ork battlewagon. I’ve been thinking a lot about 40k recently though, so that probably doesn’t prove too much.
2:19 – Back to the big thing with a club, being shot at by a guy with a bazooka which fires green snot. I now realise the big guy actually looks like Ludo from labyrinth, except shaved and having got some ink done. Probably just a phase he’s going through.
2:38 – Some catapults firing at something distant. Frankly, looks a bit boring to be a catapult.
2:56 – A cleric goes “Arise, my fallen brethern” while raising his mates from the ground. Clerics are healers then. Not to everyone – if you play with Walker, do not let him be a healer. He’ll be rubbish at it, as he always is.
3:05 – Assasin running around in the dark. Turns the corner and…
3:11 – Shitingcockfuck! It’s a Big Balrog thing. Nerf the Balrog!

And that’s it. All in all: Looks quite nifty actually.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jens Arnesen says:

I remember playing the original Savage at a LAN a few years back, I remember it as good fun but slightly… off, somehow. I guess it had something to do with my teammates being complete fucktards, but that’s multiplayer for you.

2. Okami says:

Why does 3rd person melee combat allways suck in pc games (don’t get me started on 1st person melee combat…)? How about a multiplayer version of God of War?

Only game with decent melee combat was Severance: Blade of Darkness. And that didn’t have multiplayer. Well, there was a multiplayer mod for it, but that was lag hell..

3. Okami says:

Oh.. Allmost forgot: Savage was a brilliant game, if you were lucky enough to find a decent team. Which allmost never happened for me. I guess I’ll give the trial version of S2 a try…

4. quibbles says:

I played a fair bit of the original. At heart it’s a great concept, but there’s just something so un-fulfilling about the combat. It’s like, you could have the craziest battle planned out, but actually going out there and being the guy killing people is negative fun.

5. DigitalSignalX says:

Looks good, also looks like I’ll be setting the video gamma *way* up if it manages to reach stores just left of the middle of nowhere.

Any creepy vibes the dwarfs send out in L2 are more then offset by the suggestive bouncing physics of the dark elf, light elf, orc, human Mage and Fighter females. When grinding 12 hours a day for 1/8 of a level, it’s always good to get more bounce for your buck.

6. Okami says:

There’s something fundamentally wrong about feeling attracted to hot Orc females. But maybe that’s just because female Orcs have allways meant Blood Bowl Orc cheerleaders to me….

7. Zeno, Internetographer says:

The old one was kinda fun, but it always seemed to lack polish… At least it was free, though. Maybe I’ll get back into it, since I don’t have $30 at the moment.

8. billyboob says:

I played a little of the first one so I’ll give the trial a go. Im from Melbourne so does anyone know if there are any oz servers? If there are and you’re from down here let us know if you plan on trying it out. I doubt if anything can pull me away from TF2 for long though

9. Therlun says:

I dont think the wannabe tank is set on fire.
    It looks more like a special attack to me.

10. Darthus says:

Yeah, I’ve been playing Savage 2 (I highly recommend it) and there are some definite misinterpretations there. At :46 it’s a Chaplain rezzing another unit, not a fight. At :54 that is the battering ram using an ability that jets out flame and does damage to all units around it. 1:12 he’s actually building what looks like a Garrison, which is a unit spawn point. 1:32 is a marksman using backstab on a hell unit and killing it. 1:54 he’s a Chaplain (healer) not a knight, so he’s looking for someone to heal.

Any of you who played Savage 1 and thought it had potential, Savage 2 capitalizes on that potential in spades. It’s a much more polished experience, and the experience of having a commander who’s actually good (or being one) is an experience you can’t get anywhere else. Plus they’ve added a huge amount of community options, stat tracking, rating systems for players, Karma points etc. It’s awesome. Try out the demo here:

It’s pretty much full featured, you’re playing with registered players, you just have a 5 hour limit. It’s 30 bucks for a purchase, and definitely worth it. If you buy it, say Darthus referred you via the website. =) I play on US West 1 usually if you want to say hi.

11. Martin says:

DigitalSignalX says:

…something that seems quite out of place but since he linked to some nice renders of boobies I won’t complain.

12. Martin says:

Damn, I should’ve bothered reading all the text in the original post before commenting.

Ah well – you live and never learn I guess.

13. Chiablo says:

It took me five attempts to find a server that wasn’t lagging to the point of unplayability. Once I got in a good game ,it was fun, but I can’t see playing it long term.

I was a big fan of Savage 1 and I had hoped they would have made more evolutionary leaps with this rendition. The melee combat is considerably improved with the rock-paper-scissors system in place… but Savage 1 felt a lot more epic.