Off-Road Velociraptor Safari

By Jim Rossignol on January 22nd, 2008 at 9:37 am.

The day job of Fun Motion‘s Matthew Wegner is a little more entertaining than most others. He’s at work on the righteously entitled Off-Road Velociraptor Safari, over at Flashbang Studios. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given the peerless physic-game blogging of its creator, this is a game about slaying capturing vicious dinosaurs using… physics. Awesome.

Game Trailers, you’re our kind of Jurassic.

1. WCAYPAHWAT says:

Well, the title certainly does speak for itself.

2. Dermo says:

that looks like awesomely good fun

3. Butler says:

Is there multiplayer? This could be a new LAN party fav. ;D

4. FreekyEeekz says:

Carmageddon anyone? :)

5. fluffy bunny says:

I tried the web-based betathingy earlier, and it was pretty neat (though not as brilliant as I originally thought when I saw the first video).

6. Iain says:

Excite Truck + Velociraptors + Physics = WIN!

This is suddenly my most-wanted title of 2008.

7. heads up says:

this is a free web game and it will be out later this week

8. Optimaximal says:

That wins so many kudos for giving the player the ability to trip a bunch of velociraptors with a ball and chain attached to a jeep.

GENIUS!

9. eliterrell says:

I think physics is the wrong word for what that game uses. Maybe awesomephysics, unless a better term has already been invented.

10. Emil says:

Hahaha! So it’s the first attempt at the new realistic look of dinosaurs with feathers. Good thing I can smash them then. Feathery bastards.

11. Meat Circus says:

Physics++!

It could surely only be improved if their were Nazis riding the velociraptors. There’s still time.

12. Theory says:

Epic Roadkill!

13. Fat Zombie says:

After saying that it seemed a bit unfair, having a dude in a jeep chasing velociraptors with a spiky ball on Funmotion, Matthew put up a pic of the driver:

That’s right. It’s wearing a pith helmet and MONOCLE. Truly, the best player character ever.

14. roBurky says:

That looks horrible. Chasing down bird-like things that are clearly running away from you, smashing into them with a car and getting a slow motion view of them being pulverised?

15. Iain says:

@MeatCircus:

Tsk. Really. Nazis don’t ride velociraptors… Mexican bandits do.

16. Cigol says:

I’m with roBurky, it looks disturbing to say the least. I’ll concede the mechanics of the game look fun but there’s a disconnect in what’s being asked of you…

Humans on the other hand, that would be far more palatable.

17. Joonas says:

This needs spit’n'polish and an XBLA release. Make it so. That said, will be looking at the PC version and would likely pay moneys for it.

18. Janek says:

Cheerfully bonkers. I love it.

All we need now is a pig in a top hat.

19. Matthew says:

On the violence–we actually got this feedback a lot in the preview build. People were uncomfortable with killing the raptors because they didn’t provide a threat.

The game is actually balanced between killing and stunting for scores. You could land in the leaderboards from driving alone, but we doubt players will resist smashing into a raptor or two…

20. Nuyan says:

Lacks Noah.

21. Martin says:

I’ve waited and waited and waited for a chance to get back at those damn raptors for what they did to my family and finally, my opportunity appears!

Woe is raptor for I have become Vengeance!

22. Fernando says:

Where do I pre-order? That’s the best trailer I’ve seen in ages.

23. Matt says:

Reminds me of an off road Trackmania with dinosaurs. I’m addicted to Trackmania Nations, but it has a certain lack of Cretaceous creatures. This could be my new favorite game.

24. Max says:

Best trailer evar. I particularly liked the bit where he crushed the ‘raptor against the rock. :D

25. Flibster says:

This has to be the funniest thing i’ve seen all day, the misleading title leading you to believe it’s some kind of educational immersive sim, then BOOM! Raptormageddon! Will definitely check this one out on release :D

26. No Picnic says:

Is your family prepared?

American Society for Velociraptor Attack Prevention

“Velociraptor attack is the 3rd leading cause of death for men age 27-29. However, everyone must think about the implications of velociraptors: young and old, men, women and transgendered persons.”

27. Optimaximal says:

That presents a disturbing dilemma…

That raptor is raging a physics-based war against its own species – does that mean we might face a situation where fat lordish british royalty don their own pith helmets & monocles and proceed to terrorise us in their Jags in ol’ Landahn Tahn?

28. JakethePirate says:

Ineffable genius.

29. terry says:

Jack Thompson is going to just love this one, I can tell.

30. Justin Sherrill says:

This is both awesome and awful: awesome cause, well, obvious reasons.

Awful, because it would be fun to play with my kids except they’d be all sad the chickens were getting dragged around. It is kinda mean.

Maybe an establishing scene where the dinosaurs are really mean to someone; perhaps stomping on their house?

Or more explosions.

31. md says:

for some reason that reminds me of ‘big red racing’ (demo here). no problem there though, thats a game for which ive patiently been waiting 10 years for a remake of.

32. Philip says:

I’m glad to say I’m not the only one who doesn’t feel entirely comfortable with randomly running over Velociraptors without cause. Maybe it’s because the game features feathered dinos rather than the more “evil” looking Deinonychus/Utahraptors featured in Jurassic Park. In the game they almost look like a dinosaur that’s wandered into Viva Pinata. :-P

I’m also slightly confused by the emphasis on this being physics-based, when some of the physics on display in the demo looks a little ropey, especially when the car starts flipping/barrel-rolling. Maybe I’m just getting old and jaded though…

33. Man Raised By Puffins says: