Freelance Hired: Mount & Blade finds a publisher

By Kieron Gillen on January 24th, 2008 at 2:47 pm.

News reaches us from (er) our comments thread that TaleWorld‘s long in development Mount & Blade is going to get a proper release from Paradox Interactive. Which reminds me I’ve never mentioned it, or its perpetually available Beta on RPS before. Better sort THAT out then.

Horses! Best of all the animals.

I normally describe Mount & Blade as Pirates, but in the Middle Ages. You play a knight, and you gather together a band of soldiers, setting forth to hunt down bandits, take missions from lieges and generally act like the traditional freelance. The Beta is the full game, but with your character progress locked at level six. Despite its planned real world release, Mount & Blade’s pre-order system is still in effect. By paying $25 you remove the level-lock, allowing you to play the Beta as much as you like, as well as providing a serial code for the final game when it comes out. With V1.0 apparently happening in Summer, I may wait for then before returning, but if you’ve never played before, it’s well worth doing so. As well as the intoxicating freedom, Mount & Blade features probably the greatest horse-back combat the world has ever seen.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. adambaum says:

The RSS link to this article says “Freelance Hired: HORSE & Blade finds a publisher”.

Fast on the edit RPS, but not fast enough. :)

2. Garreett says:

I bought this in December. Tis brilliant. Would be better if you could set up villages, or take towns while not being a vassal to a king.

3. terry says:

Perhaps “Equine Vs Wesley Snipes” would be catchier.

Anyway I am a supporter of this as I have a fearsome warrior with a huge moustache called Barry Chuckle, who clouts foes asunder with his couched lance (and then valiantly retreats when his army of peasants are dead)

4. rob says:

I paid for this back when it was seven quid or so. The game is incredibly addictive to begin with but gets somewhat repetitive at the higher levels, although each new update has always absorbed me back into the game for a good few days. The fact that the bulk of it was created by some Turkish guy and his wife is a staggering achievement. It handles mounted combat far better than any commercially available game I’ve ever played and this alone justifies the $25 asking price.

5. Max says:

Seriously, this games rocks =)

Charging down a horde of bandits with your band of lance-wielding fearless riders… priceless

6. Andrew says:

Like rob, I pre-ordered this years ago. I definitely have to re-download this and give it a try again. Great news that they’ve picked up a publisher.

7. Okami says:

Oh boy… That game still exists?

I played a very early demo version ohhh… five years ago? Or four years?

Never mind.. Anyway, I could see what they were aiming for, but it looked very rough and I had no idea, what I was supposed to do. I thought that it would vanish into obscurity soon.

Glad to see, that I was so wrong. As soon as I’m done here, I’ll try the demo. Maybe I’ll even pay for it. People like them should be supported by every right thinking gamer!

8. Kieron Gillen says:

I admit, I haven’t played for nearly a couple of years, but the screens look a lot nicer than I remember them. Hurrah for indie-devs!

KG

9. Turin Turambar says:

I played it last year. Wait, that was in 2006, not 2007 :P.

Great promise of a game, with superb medieval combat. And i mean the best combat to date ever.
    I hope that in that 1.0 version the game is ‘finished’. Because my peeve with the game in the betas was always the lack of a final goal. The game needs to make dynamic the war between the two factions, with conquerable cities (by yourself or other AI parties), and with the final goal of conquering the opposing faction.
    Also, a dynamic market (with fluctuable prices) would be nice. Right now the cities always have the same products at the same prices.

/cross fingers. Hard.

10. The Fanciest Of Pants says:

Great for them! I’ve been playing this on and off for the last 3 years, it’s great stuff. The horse combat is fantastic really(Love my horse archer bwahaha).

If it’s going commercial I’d love to see some tidier animations though. As an animator myself it’s hard for me to ignore the frankly jerky movements :[

11. Jockie says:

Those two factions are now five or so, and you can burn down villages and kill peasants in a persistant dynamic war, thats supposedly actually winnable, what more can you want i ask you?

Well, in truth, the Quests are still pretty standard, fetch 10 of these, raise 10 horsemen, kill this guy. The dynamic war thing seems a bit random and difficult to get to grips with

But no-one ever played the game for the quests, it’s all about the combat. Though its always had a very active modding community and i played through a LOTR mod that was quite impressive a while back. But yeah it came on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years, definitely worth the £8 i payed several years ago.

12. Andrew says:

Aye, the latest versions are incredibly impressive, graphically and in terms of gameplay mechanics. It’s like nothing else out there, now.

13. Andrew says:

And yes, the latest release (.903?) has a fully dynamic war between 5 different factions, any of which you can align yourself with, and towns and villages dotted around the map to capture or manage as you see fit. Also castles.

14. Turin Turambar says:

Ok ok, people, good news. :)

But i think i will wait a few months now for the retail version and enjoy the full version.

15. Tim says:

Ah I’ve played this on and off as well. Truly the coolest horse mounted combat I’ve ever seen! Really a great example of “indie does good” here.

16. danny says:

I remember there was a demo on the PCG DVD many years back, and I enjoyed it. It did get a bit dull further in, as someone above said, it was repetitive, but despite that I thought “8 quid? I’ll pay that so I can play more with my lady knight.” for I did so enjoy couching my lance, and taking on all and sundry.

Very glad I did now, because I can see that my money went to a good cause. I shall have to download again, and find the code they gave me. I just hope I can rescue my old character from my busted desktop. She was splendid, and I think killed more people than the pox.

For some reason, I love mounted combat in games. I bought Shadow Of The Collossus, but got scared, so I usually just ride my horse around the place.

17. Rich Powers says:

The best medieval combat ever created, no doubt. When my friend built a monster rig a few years back (when 2GB was overkill), the first thing he did was create some huge M&B battle with lord knows how many combatants. Just watching him duke it out was enthralling.

After playing M&B, all other medieval combat just feels so…boring.

18. James says:

It’s been a good twelve months since I’ve had a go at M&B, but I’m very impressed to see that it’s still chugging along, not to mention that it found a publisher. I may have to load up my copy to see where it’s at these days. I’d be interested to see how much of my time it manages to steal on my second run-through.

19. Carey says:

I’ve been playing this game so hard since Novemeber when I first found it. I wish it had multiplayer though, not full on MMO but the ability to host a communal world between a few friends . I’m soooo deadly with a lance, I have an army of mounted knights at my disposal and I have a lully castle wot I sacked from the nasty Swadians. Tis a grand game.

20. raton-laveur says:

danny : “I bought Shadow Of The Collossus, but got scared”

Excuse me ?

21. Meat Circus says:

Come on, some of those Colossi are terrifying when they come lumbering at you the first time.

The fast little one that’s scared of fire and the final colossus both had me shitting bricks too.

22. danny says:

raton-laveur: I was scared of the Colossi for the same reason I get scared in games like Thief, which is that I am weak and they have all the advantage, unless I do things just right. Also, enemies ten or twenty times my size do tend to make me think I might poo.

Something I love about that game is that the fighting isn’t necessary, I can just go off for a ride if I want to. I always seem to end up doing that rather than facing the Colossi.

Anyway, I’m downloading M&B right now, so I get the chance to fight with a lance again! Woo!

Meat Circus: I didn’t really get that far into it, because I enjoyed making Agro run too much.

23. Kieron Gillen says:

I spent a couple of really happy hours on the Beta. It’s come on a lot, and I suspect we’ll be all over it when they hit 1.0.

KG

24. Nuyan says:

I heard a rumor somewhere that they intend to make a multiplayer for Mount&Blade someday. Imagine that…

25. Cigol says:

This beta is amazing stuff. Just seeing a horde of charging raiders coming across the horizon is a sight to behold. Wow! I’d heard of this game before (and it’s legion of fans) but I’d always discounted it. Give the demo version a try if you haven’t, you might well be surprised!

26. Ryan Fox says:

It’s probably worth mentioning that you could pay $25 now, or $40 when it’s released. They’ve had this sort of deal for ages. I managed to buy it a couple years ago when it was $15.

27. Andrew says:

It cost me less than a fiver when I bought it (back in April 2005, I think).

Brilliant value.