Coming In From The Cold: Cryostasis

By Jim Rossignol on January 24th, 2008 at 12:25 pm.

505 Games send word that they’re going to be publishing the new Russian shooter Cryostasis later this year. The game is a horror FPS set in Arctic ice-cap, in which your character finds himself exploring the North Wind, an “old nuclear ice-breaker trapped in an icy grave.” As always, there’s a twist:

Alex is no ordinary meteorologist as he possesses a unique ‘Mental Echo’ ability that allows him to relive the final memories of the dead and change their actions in the past, changing their future.

What this mental echo stuff means is that you’ll find yourself skipping back into the past to play as character aboard the ice-breaker. Success means changing the future, or Alex’s present. Clever stuff indeed.

Visually the game is looking like a mix of high-end effects and Stalker-esque clunky presentation. The graphical cleverness should allow you to thaw areas of the ship as you try to stay warm, turning frozen spaces defrosted areas with a wet glint, to freeze up again once you move on.

What’s best about Cryostasis, however, is how it sounds. For audio evidence, check out the E3 trailer:

Hold us, Gametrailers, we’re scared!

Also this:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Janek says:

Ambitious? Russian? Sounds like another flawed gem to me. One to watch.

2. JJ says:

That was one the better game-trailers I’ve seen lately.
    The sounds reminded me a bit of Bioshock, lots of metal.
    And the monster in the end looked like a big daddy.
    I wonder if there are more locations than the ship or if the ship in various times is enough to keep it fresh.

3. Tom says:

awsome. reminds me of a mix between Penumbra and Bioshock

4. Meat Circus says:

There’s something about that’s evocative of Bioshock when it was at its best.

Looks like one to watch.

5. Tom says:

Could be. one moment it’s a busy ship, warm and full of life. Next you’re smack bang in the middle of the shit hitting the fan. next you’re in present day, wandering through a dead ship that’s frozen over.

6. Lorc says:

Ooh, you know I’d forgotten about this one.

It does look a bit of alright, doesn’t it?

7. Chris Evans says:

Ah, I remember PC Gamer mentioning this game in a recent issue, something about how the Devs have found a UK publisher or something?

Anywho, this looks pretty interesting and that trailer ain’t half bad. Just wonder whether it will be a polished release or not.

p.s yes changed my name from ‘Evo’ to my real name :)

8. Chris Evans says:

Oh, I take it that is a trailer from E3 2007 yea? Has there been anything since then?

9. Kieron Gillen says:

I like how it goes CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK!

KG

10. fluffy bunny says:

You know what else got a publishing deal today? Mount & Blade! :)

11. fluffy bunny says:

Oh, and Cryostasis actually looks pretty neat. Looking forward to the demo.

12. Chris Evans says:

The guy at the end of the trailer who dies has the face shape of the guy from Scream :O

13. Kieron Gillen says:

Fluffy: Really? Aces.

KG

14. Jonathan says:

Wow. Just wow.
    The best of Stalker was its bleak Russianess and now we get time travel as well.
    The only shooter I’m excited about, unless there’s news of Shock 3 anywhere. But that’s more a morbid curiosity and the hope that Levine will challenge the whole EA to a fight so he get Shodan back. Seriously I think he’d win, he’s built like a rugby player made of brick poo houses.

15. essell says:

They’ve actually called their new FPS game… Cry(osta)sis? Bonus points for such a great, unique sounding title…

16. Phil says:

Considering how often its shoehorned in where its not wanted, it would be great if the developers took the opportunity to include some thematically appropriate ‘Mountains of Madness meets Shadow Out of Time’ Lovecrafty horror.

They should definitely change the name though.

17. Nallen says:

Looks like a cross between Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Which sounds great, on paper, but taking the worst of both would produce something fairly horrific. And I don’t mean that in the good way which you cuold certainly take it given the context.

18. Zeh says:

…plus, the logo and presentation (zooming around the suit; a helmet in this case) are similar to Crysis. Uh??!

Other than that, it looks nice. But maybe because it reminds me of Stalker.

19. espy says:

Ohh, shiny. This could be really brilliant. As said before, definitely one to look out for.

20. The_B says:

What I would like to know is, if as they say you will be able to relive the final moments of anyone’s life in the game, do they mean that or will it just be select, story appropriate characters. And more intriguingly, therefore could you kill someone in the present by yourself, then jump into their final few moments thus being able to create a paradox by stopping yourself ever killing them but preventing yourself being able to change the past so they could never…*expoldes*

(But seriously though, how are they intending to work around that?)

21. Janek says:

I guess it’ll be pretty tightly scripted. Can’t really see it working any other way.

22. Geoff says:

“What this mental echo stuff means is that you’ll find yourself skipping back into the past to play as character aboard the ice-breaker. Success means changing the future, or Alex’s present.”
    Reminds me of Eternal Darkness. The main character was even named Alex. Do you guys have Gamecubes over on that side of the pond? Or at least a Wii?
    The reviews are here, and are good.
    I think it’s the only game my friends and I played start to finish four times. I mean, the game had a Sanity Meter for cryin’ out loud. Brilliant.
    Uh oh, I hear the PC gaming police, must flee before I’m caught advocating Nintendo games…

23. Phil says:

Eternal Darkness; possibly the least advisable game to play having just stumbled in of a morning. Not so much a terrifying as terribly, terribly confusing.

Although making the fat, bewigged character jog around his kitchen until he had an full blown asthma attack was, at the time, endless fun.

24. Wrestlevania says:

Great atmosphere evident in the trailer.

They’ve not gone mental with the gore either it seems, which is a cheap and easy route to take with the horror genre.

Looks promising.

25. Aimless says:

It looks like a mix of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., BioShock, and Condemned to me. Which is, of course, a good thing.

26. Chris R says:

Man… just watching those trailers made me jumpy… don’t know how I’ll ever actually play the game… I hate it when I’m walking down a hallway and the lights go out, or when I see a dark blurry object suddenly appear and vanish on the other side of a room…. I’ll have to play with all the lights on, hah. The game looks interesting though…

That reminds me… in Stalker, remember where you get the task from the Freedom base to go into the village nearby and kill the Bloodsuckers? They come bursting out of a few houses in the abandoned village, and are invisible for the most part except for their glowing eyes… Well I killed 2 or 3 of them, and then approached a house from behind, thinking I would sneak up on the mutant, instead of letting him come bursting through the planks of wood across the doorway out front. I went into the house through the backdoor, and didn’t find anything, so I thought it was an empty house, when I turned around there were 2 of the mutant bloodsucker things, invisible, standing there looking at me with their glowing eyes… I jumped so bad and I think I might have yelled as well. My pulse was racing for 10 mins after that encounter, haha. I think that’s the most I’ve ever been startled by a game like that.

27. Chris R says:

Oh wait, I think I might have been just as startled in FEAR (the original game) when the little creepy girl shows up. I think it was the part, towards the beginning of the game, where you hit the key to get on this ladder, and as your character turns around to go down the ladder, the little girl is RIGHT in your face on the walkway where you were just standing. That was pretty startling, since she was so close to you, just standing there staring…. CREEEEPPYYYY. I startle easily I suppose.

28. Matt says:

Yes, that part in FEAR got me too, and I was so scared that I got down the ladder as fast as I could. When I turned off the ladder Paxton Fettel was standing directly to my right and crumbled away into ash as I walked towards to him. I literally didn’t play the game again until I’d forgotten about that.

And this is gonna be ace.

29. DigitalSignalX says:

Nice, if ever a game should come with a sticker demanding “MUST PLAY WITH DECENT HEADPHONES” this would be the one.

30. malkav11 says:

It sounds to me like the mental echoes will be triggered by the game at appropriate moments and not by the player’s manual control. Which is how these things usually go.

31. Chris R says:

DigitalSignalX, I probably wouldn’t be able to finish the game since I’d be so scared.

Darkness + Spooky Things Appearing at the End of Hallways PLUS Amazing Spine-Chilling Sound and Effects??

I’d have a heart-attack.

32. Seth Tipps says:

I noticed a hand Icon that popped up whenever your character looked at a body, or that one really creepy picture. I think that they will avoid the time paradox deal by making the present world just a dead ship. Consequently, until you fix the problem that killed the ship, there will be no one around to interact with. I would Imagine that you wander around, much like a MYST/Bioshock mixer, picking up storyline notes and whatnot, until you come to a locked door or a flooded section, which it will be necessary to change the past to unlock. This could lend itself to wildly freeform gameplay, but probably only one or two possible endings. It could come down to a choice between saving the ship and destroying yourself through the time paradox, or doing something else and living. That could be the whole twist right there, that is, that if you save the ship you die because of the time paradox, and if you don’t you die because you’re at the f*cking north pole.

33. Max says:

After reading the part about the ‘mental echo’ I was instantly reminded of Free Radical Design’s fabulous ‘Second Sight’.

More of this please. Yes yes yes.

34. JakethePirate says:

It looks like it’s running on the Jupiter Ex engine: it has the same kind of textures…or something (also the lights, the many dynamic lights). Anyone know what it’s actually using?

35. Caiman says:

I’m not sure why you’re all so excited. It looks little more than a Doom 3 mod to me, although they’ve nailed the atmosphere with special kudos to the sound designer. Maybe I’m just tired of FPS games.

36. Jay says:

Ah, generic ‘ordinary protagonist with special ability’ bollocks?

37. dead guy says:

“Alex is no ordinary meteorologist”
    I can’t believe no one has commented on the brilliance of this line.

38. losos says:

This is not an FPS it is a true horror with a cinematic story. One of the crucial points of which is its atmosphere! No screenshot or trailer is able to deliver the propper feeling that appears when u play!

39. spd from Russia says:

sorry, but Ukraina is not Russia

40. losos says:

kk, let’s call it Post Soviet Space it doesn’t change the matter. the game will be released in autumn, and soon there will appear a new trailer.

41. chipp says:

Now, THIS looks scary.

Definitely looking forward for this title.