ModDB Mod of the Year 2007 Results

By Kieron Gillen on January 29th, 2008 at 1:58 pm.

I'm a photoshop maestro, me.

If you’re the sort to hang around Mod sites over the last few months, you’ll have noticed a not negligible chunk of them urging their fanbases into voting for them at ModDB‘s yearly awards. Well, their politicing’s effects have finally been revealed, as results have been announced over at ModDB. This follows on from their Top 100 mods (and indie games) of the year, as well as the forthcoming Top 100 mods (and indie games) their readers are excited by. It’s an interesting look at the pulse of the industry, as ModDB tends to move in more mainstream circles than most of the coverage of the indie games (it is, after all, primarily modDB). And it is a popular democratic vote meaning cultural elitists will be growling loudly (Put it like this: The Indie game winner isn’t something that you’ll see in the IGF). Probably the most relaxing way is to watch the twenty-minute video, with plenty of footage. That said, you could just read the top 5 unreleased mods, top 5 indie games and – drumroll! – top 5 mods of 2007. Except due to ModDB’s set-up, all those links lead to the same page and you have to turn to the next one a few times to get there.

You could just read our round-up, beneath the cut. There’s an idea.

BEST MODS OF 2007: UNRELEASED

1) Zombie Panic: Source
2) Jurassic Park.
3) Barney’s Tales.
4) Mechwarrior: Living Legends
5) Operation Black Mesa

Plain old Black Mesa missed out its chance in the Top 5, because it appeared in last year’s poll and as such was inadmissible. Of course, Zombie Panic is available to download now, but wasn’t actually out when the voting was going on.

BEST INDIE-GAME OF 2007: RELEASED

1) BSG: Beyond the Red Line
2) Red Alert: A Path Beyond
3) Warsow
4) World of Padman
5) Tremulous.

Special mentions were also given to Infinity and Apocalypse Rising, but they aren’t out so were kind of inadmissible.

BEST MOD OF 2007: RELEASED

1) Insurgency.
2) Project Reality.
3) Empires.
4) Forgotten Hope.
5) Minerva.

Congratulations to all the winners. Congratulations to ModDB for running the poll. Congratulations to everyone who voted. Hell, congratulations to everyone who read his post. Let’s all have a big hug. And congratulations to anyone who says what they think of the results in the comments thread below.

1. Andrew Wills says:

No surprises about Insurgency, can’t say it was my choice though! I can moan all I want about mods winning because they have the most militant fans, but ultimately they have the most militant fans because they are the most popular… Meh, I’m just bitter because Jailbreak: Source didn’t make the top one hundred!

I’m really pleased about Zombie Panic: Source though, their mods great fun, and the devs are nice chaps too. I’m also pleased about Minerva, which to me is one of the greatest, in part due to the amount of work!

Personally I think the Jurassic Park mod will never see the light of day sadly. Otherwise, all is good in the land of mods!

Is it sad that the announcements excite me so? It’s the like the Oscars of mods!

2. phuzz says:

Minerva not number one? I demand a recount!
    Or possibly a re-categorization; best SP HL2 mod anyone?

3. rb_lestr says:

The only sp hl2 mod worth playing imo.
    Insurgency didn’t deserve best mod in the slightest, should have gone to HL2: Wars or something.

4. Wickedashtray says:

Glad to see “Empires” get some love. Just a wonderfully thought out game with a cool design aesthetic. I can’t wait until they get air vehicles implemented. Also happy for the Living Legends guys who I beleive will be the first mod team to release a fully functioning Battletech based mod (all others disappeared due to the lack of follow through by the teams).

I’m sort of bummed that the Eternal Silence guys got no mention. ES is a hugely ambitious mod for HL2 which implements not only space based combat but also troop combat inside capital ships. Their downside is among the several releases the game has had, it is still quite choppy.

rb_lestr, keep in mind this is gamers choice which is basically a popularity contest. Such awards have more to do with loyalty than with quality. Having said that I beleive the choices were pretty sound (though I agree that Insurgency didn’t deserve #1 as it still has a ways to go)

5. Cargo Cult says:

The Editors’ Choice awards are tomorrow – which are usually much more eclectic and unexpected.

I think it’s really nice that the number one upcoming mod has already made a release, which just about makes up for the two cargo-cultist Black Mesa imitations and two bound-to-get-Foxed mods lower down in the lineup.

Eagle-eyed persons may have noticed the MINERVA video was recorded with it running as a mod of Episode Two. Which gives slightly shinier graphics, as well as considerably improved Combine AI. They’re now plain vicious to play against. A fairly small patch should be available in the next week or two – possibly along with some no-need-for-Ep2 foreign language localisation patch-packs.

Thanks for voting! Your sycophancy has been noted, and will be of use in upcoming revolution.

6. Alex says:

I am surprised Minerva didn’t come up on top.

I now have to completely change my opinion and learn to love Insurgency.

7. Alec Meer says:

Your comment is rude, but I shall point you at this part of our FAQ rather than just delete it.

8. Kieron Gillen says:

Speak for yourself, Alec!

KG

9. dhex says:

that mechwarrior conversion for crysis seems promising.

then again, most mods do.

10. Andrew says:

Not unexpected results. A lot of FPS mods – and I’d agree, the Zombie mod is fun :)

I’d prefer to see more RTS and TBS mods too.

Make sure to report on the editors choices – I prefer critical analysis and ratings to populist votes. Notably a lack of a huge amount of singleplayer games in voting-based rankings (since the nature of the beast is, if it’s multiplayer, you’ve got players together and can get them to vote for you ;) ).

11. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

Cool, glad to see Minerva up there. Personally, my multiplayer mod of choice is Dystopia for HL2, but there hasn’t been much in the way of big updates or a huge playerbase increase recently, so it’s probably been a bit overlooked. Still, it’s an awesome total conversion, very fun and well polished, I’d recommend it to anyone who likes cyberpunk and/or great team-based multiplayer games.

12. KindredPhantom says:

I am disappointed that Dystopia was not in the top 5 released mods, instead we have realism mods. Gameplay > Realism, if you want realism that much join the bloody army.

13. chopsnsauce says:

@cargo cult.

Eeek! Minerva with BETTER Combine AI!
    I bet that would make the first 2 chapters unplayable on hard.

I completed it on Hard a few weeks ago and was on the verge of chucking my mouse at the wall. :(

14. sigma83 says:

Grats Mr. Foster on making it. Minerva was by far my favorite mod of ’07 (because I have very high standards and I didn’t play any others, nyer. Okay I lie, I loved Beyond The Red Line and so should all the rest of you you militant PC fans sif forget Freespace)

15. Andrew says:

The only thing I did with this vote was go to that site and vote for Minerva when the voting process was last linked.

Still, top 5. Congratulations there.

16. Ging says:

I’m more a fan of the editors choice awards – the “standard” awards are too susceptible to a flood of votes by a mod with a large community, there’s no guarantee that quality (or even playability) wins out.

Of course, it might just be that we’ve gotten more recognition from the editors choice the past two years than we have in the normal awards.

17. zergl says:

Define realism. If by realism you mean “Is set in a not too scifi or fantasy world”, you might be right.
    If you mean gameplay, have a look at the empires mod forum. A lot of suggestions get turned down with the argument “Screw realism if it doesn’t add to gameplay”.

But yeah, it’s a pity that dystopia didn’t make it.

18. Johnny Law says:

Cf. “imminent Foxing”… I believe that the MW Living Legends folks already have an anti-foxing agreement in place.

19. Pace says:

I checked the moddb pages linked above for all the released mods, and I notice that in the ‘community rating’ part Minerva has the highest rating as well as the most votes among the top 5. More than twice as many votes and much higher score than the overall winner Insurgency. Seems a tad odd. (I mean, that it only came in 5th then.)

20. malkav11 says:

Of the released categories, precisely two winners have any singleplayer. How depressing.

(I pay no attention whatsoever to unreleased mods because they are, after all, unreleased. And thus prone to sudden failure of existence.)

21. Kieron Gillen says:

You are l33t!

KG

22. Paul Moloney says:

Any chance that a goodly amount of these mods will be on the next PC Gamer DVD? Just to save me bandwidth, like.

P.

23. Cargo Cult says:

The latest MINERVA was on a PC Gamer sellotaped-ask-your-newsagent-if-missing disc thingy a month or two ago – but if you’d rather download it, it’s only 160MB or something.

(HL2:Ep1 required. Conversion of download size to Imperial Peggles will be provided once I remember how big an Imperial Peggle is. Your statutory rights are most definitely affected. Wibble.)

24. Cargo Cult says:

Somewhat more than 24 hours after the players’ choice, but…

ModDB 2007 Editors’ Choice!

Mind and E.Y.E. look a bit interesting…

25. MetalCircus says:

Insurgency is fucking terrible. How it got number one last year is beyond me.