Just Cause 2 Announced

By John Walker on January 30th, 2008 at 7:35 pm.

Eidos have officially announced Just Cause 2. Which we surely all already knew about. But hey, screenshots!

just cause 1

Rico Rodriquez returns, in what’s being described as the same game again with shinier graphics. But hey, infinite parachutes again is this: a good thing. Also, press release at the bottom for people who like to read press releases. People who write press releases, for instance. Screenshots and all nestling beneath the read-more-thing.

just cause 2

just cause 3

just cause 4

just cause 5

just cause 6

just cause 7

just cause 8

just cause 9

just cause 10

Press release

Eidos Interactive, one of the world’s leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, is pleased to confirm details of a brand new title for 2008 – JUST CAUSE 2, the sequel to the 2006 smash-hit videogame.

Developed by Avalanche Studios, JUST CAUSE 2 stars Rico Rodriquez, back to wreak havoc once again, this time with a new destination – the huge playground of the South East Asian islands of Panau, in an over-the-top Hollywood-esque blockbuster of a videogame for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PlayStation 3 and PC.

With more stunts, vehicles and weapons than ever before and an incredible overhauled grappling hook, Rico returns to action in Panau, an incredibly detailed and vast 1000 sq km game world of different climates and ultra-realistic weather effects. Leap from your plane and skydive from 10,000 feet down into a tropical jungle, tear across an arid desert in a dune buggy or climb your way up a snowy mountain in a 4×4. The vast open-ended, unique gameplay is back, allowing you full freedom once again to free roam and explore the massive world of Panau and tackle your assignments however you want.

With a new and improved air, land and sea stunt system featuring Rico’s notorious parachute and grappling hook, taken to incredible new extremes and a massive array of new vehicles featuring an advanced driving model, players can now pull off some of the finest action stunts ever seen in a video game in a truly massive and beautifully rendered environment.

“Remember everything you loved about Just Cause, then take it to the next level: vehicles, stunts, weapons, freedom, grappling hook, action, everything,” said Alex Price, Brand Manager. “The game world is even more incredible in Just Cause 2 and Rico has done a bit of growing up, so expect quite a few new surprises up his sleeves.”

JUST CAUSE 2 is set for release in 2008 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kieron Gillen says:

Q: Why are they doing another one?
    A: Just coz.

KG

2. Nick says:

Go and stand in the corner.

3. The_B says:

Q: What do you call a cosplayer who exclusively dresses up as Rico Rodriquez?

A: Just Cos.

4. Garth says:

“…in an over-the-top Hollywood-esque blockbuster of a videogame…”
    Did anyone else audibly groan when they read that?

5. Mo says:

Did anyone else audibly groan when they read that?

You actually read the press release? :)

6. elias says:

Sweet, pretty pictures to look at.

What? There’s an actual game being discussed?

I played the demo of the first one. Meh.

7. Fat Zombie says:

I liked the demo. I never bought the full game (because I probably forgot, or something) but the demo was very, very fun. Parachute! Explosions! Helicopters! Guns! MORE explosions! Parachute! Islands! Who couldn’t love it?

(Somehow, I think this gives me some sort of idea of why I’m not too good at strategy games.)

8. Turin Turambar says:

The first one was too arcadey for my tastes. Infinite rocket launcher in vehicles, vehicle controls, shooting every enemy holding the button with losing life…

9. Janek says:

The first game was awesome. Like Boiling Point, but a lot less broken, and also you could jump off a really high cliff, paraglide toward a passing helicopter, get in and punch the pilot in the face, then fly really high, jump out of the helicopter, freefall with it, then get back in and manage to pull it out of a deathspin at the last second before it’d hit the ground.

HELL YEAH!

10. Chris R says:

Wait wait wait… Just Cause 1 was out on the PC? Or was it ported to the PC? Why did I never hear about this? I always thought Just Cause was for the consoles…

11. Leeks! says:

The first game didn’t really do much for me, but dang, that is a purdy explosion.

12. Steve says:

Can we please have a less disconnected, abstract relationship with the main character in terms of controls, please? I’ve never felt more like I was manipulating an avatar through various button presses than in Just Cause.

13. Nick says:

Press releases nearly always make me groan.. they are usually full of meaningless phrases and buzzwords..like ‘next gen’ or ‘taken to the next level’.

*shudders*

14. dartt says:

Q. Tired drunken journalists think up awful gaming puns?

A. Jest Cause.

15. Elyscape says:

That fourth screenshot, the one with the little hut, is incredible. That said, I’m not sure whether or not to believe them. On the one hand, they look too good to be from the actual game. On the other hand, they lack the anti-aliasing and other touchups that generally come with rendered screens.

16. Daniel says:

Looks pretty nice, but the first game got boring very quickly so I never even came close to finishing. I’ll wait for more info before making any judgments, though.

17. The_B says:

It was out the same time as the rest of the releases. It’s on Steam at the moment.

And to continue the rubbish pun-athon:

Q: Why did Rico Rodriquez open a cattle farm?
    A: Just Cows

18. Max says:

I think they ought to take a leaf out of UbiSoft’s book and declare “WE ARE NOT USING CRYENGINE2″ at the beginning of their trailers.

I trust they’re not using it right…? Because it looks a heckuva lot like it. Which is a good thing.

19. Leeks! says:

Assassin’s Creed.

20. Faust says:

Game Producer: We need Rico to look older, but how?
    Peon: Stubble?
    Game Producer: Stubble! Oh, and roll up his sleeves, that will add a few years.

21. malkav11 says:

Just Cause 1 is also on Gametap, which is how I would recommend playing it if you have the option. The game’s silly fun for a bit but gets old quite quickly, in my opinion. Mostly because that huge sprawling island world hasn’t actually got very much of interest on it, meaning that it’s more a delay between shooting things than anything else.

I sure do like the fire effects in those screenshots.

22. THX-1138 says:

Can’t wait personally. Just Cause was hardly perfect, but it was a lot of fun.

Although the muzzle flash on that assault rifle is ridiculous.

23. Max says:

@ THX-1138

Not ridiculous. Awesome. ;D

The whole game is geared towards the superfluous, muzzle flashes not withstanding.

24. Faust says:

@malkav11

I was reading a preview over at a far inferior site of Just Cause 2 and one of the things the Developers said they were going to do was put in more stuff between things, mostly in that terminology, so that there isn’t a boring trip between each encounter. Sounds good to me!

25. DoomMunky says:

That smoke/explodo effect is going to have to work very hard to look that good when moving. There’s gotta be some boiling of that smoke…or something.

Q: What do you hear when you’re being pecked to death by ravens?

A: Just caws.

26. Niall Sheffield says:

The original was one hell of a game, at the time I think it was the best looking game I had ever played, the first time you look at the entire island, it was pure awesome.
    Did you know if you flew to the very top of the game, and jumped out it would take half an hour to hit the ground?

Q. What did Wolverine say when asked about murder weapons?
    A. Just Claws.

27. phuzz says:

I remember loading the demo of the first one, but not playing it…obviously never found anything worth remembering.

Q: How does Rico Rodriquez get between islands?
    A: Just causeways.

sorry

28. sluissa says:

Q: What does Rico Rodriquez call an aging black comedian?
    A: Just Coz

29. sh33333p says:

This game looks like it could be fun. Ridiculous, over-the-top fun. Damn Ubisoft for making me think of FarCry every time I see a nicely rendered tropical island in a game. That game had so much potential, if they had only left out the stupid trigens. Big Sigh…

Q: Will there be medkits in this game, or what?
    A: Just gauss.

30. Janek says:

More stuff out and about is good. Although I did kind of like the quiet exploration between missions.

Q: Mr Rodrigues, are there any other symptoms that make you suspect herpes?

A: Just sores.

31. Scandalon says:

Aye, looks like they’ve gotten much of the lighting almost spot-on, and blowing-up and such looks good too.

In the two pictures you can see his face, his expression looks like his dog just died, or he’s got gas…

Um, I’m normally good at puns. They used to call me the PUNisher. I was Atilla the Pun…and now I got nothin’…

Wait, wait…Rico Rodriquez has to journey to the North Pole and protect (or eliminate?) Tim Allen horrible family commedy film #4: Just Clause.