Off-Road Velociraptor Safari – Kill Now!

By John Walker on January 30th, 2008 at 10:21 am.

We mentioned the daft and joyful preview video of Off-Road Velociraptor Safari a couple of weeks back. Well, it’s arrived.

Walkies!

And it’s a stupid amount of fun. It’s a game about driving a jeep, and running over velociraptors! Also performing stunts, collecting drops, and damaging your vehicle, ideally stringing these all together to create a high score in the five minutes available.

Created by Flashbang Studios, incredibly it was made in only eight weeks. I’ve certainly never played a Flash game that felt this solid, and am still fairly stunned it can be played in a browser window. Featuring just enough physics to feel convincing, but not so rigid that it prevents fun (the jeep rights itself, and so on), it’s just brilliant daftness. Hurtling off a cliff, taking a raptor with you as you go, then spinning, landing with a crash that removes your bonnet, before releasing the chain and spiked-ball from the back of your car to whip at a crowd of blue beasties… well, it’s great. (I’ve got the 3rd highest ever! Go me!).

Now to try this in my housemate's car.

I’d say it’s fairly impossible to just have one go. I mean, I’ve got so much I have to get done today. Really important stuff. But, you know, maybe one or two more games? Maybe I can get second highest?

PLAY!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. FaceOmeter says:

Absolute genius. There goes my evening.

2. Bob Arctor says:

I’m getting a lot of slowdown. Gah.

3. Surprise says:

does somebody get more than about 1 fps >_>
    Is my machine really THAT old?

4. JohnG says:

Looks good but I too only get one or two fps, and it’s crashed hard once already.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

It’s running entirely fine for me. How odd.

KG

6. NegativeZero says:

Not really fair to compare it against flash, since it’s actually running in the Unity engine, which means it’s running DirectX/OpenGL graphics, OpenAL 3D sound, and has a full physics engine (Ageia PhysX). Sort of like comparing a lightsaber to a disposable razor. Sure, you could shave with either if you were so inclined, but you’re not going to be lopping people’s limbs off with the razor unless you’re *extremely* patient.

7. chutn3y says:

Beautiful – that’s twenty minutes of my working afternoon successfully wasted. It even drew a respectable crowd.

8. dhex says:

awesome concept, doesn’t run on this mac.

sadness.

9. Muzman says:

Wow, I suck. The top scorers all seem to focus on a particular type of uh, scoring. Trying to go after each one nets me around the same amount each time. Doh.

10. Cargo Cult says:

Runs on this Mac quite well, in Mac OS X too. Cross-platform gaming? Incredible!

Which is nice, especially as I have a load of important work to complete.

*DISTRACTION!*

11. Irish Al says:

Definite FPS issues, Mr Gillen must have a horse of a PC.

12. tackle says:

I had no slowdown at all, then again, I do have a Geforce 8800GTS and Core2Duo processor.

No actually, in certain angles, there was a noticeable FPS-drop now that I think of it..

13. Martin says:

I’m – unfortunately – with the “1-2 FPS” crowd here. Which saddens me.

I have Vista on an old Athlon 3000 and a Radeon XT9600 so I guess I only have myself to blame though. :(

Almost forgot – pancakes! February the 5th is pancake day (apparently) so be sure to bring out the batter!

14. Raptornas says:

Rawr 11′th best score.

*swells up with pride*

Edit: Now 10′th and most orbs collected in one round, yes it is true I am clearly an amazing person

15. Cargo Cult says:

I think of real interest is the Unity thingy they’ve built this game with. It looks remarkably impressive for building simple, 3D games with – and possibly more versatile than a heavyweight FPS engine being repurposed in the case of lots of game mods and things.

But of course, it technically falls outside of Rock Paper Shotgun’s remit, because all the editing stuff is, erm … How can I put this politely?

It’s for the Mac!

I was as surprised as anyone, and I own three of the damn machines. Also, the hobbyist-priced version of Unity appears to target the Mac only. Actual, real life Mac games to play?

I think I’ve just wet myself laughing. This isn’t supposed to happen! Games on Macs? No way!

16. tari says:

It runs just peachy on my machine.

Granted, I’m running an E6320 and a new Radeon 3850.

17. malkav11 says:

I had no idea from the previous article that this was going to be a browser game. And boy is that ever impressive. Except for the part where I can’t quite get the game window centered how I’d like it…be better if it were in its own window.

As for the game itself…it’s fairly simple but seems to have a lot of potential depth, especially in the achievements. And I have no idea what I’m doing just yet.

18. Kim says:

The raptors look like parrots.
    I have been dreaming about parrots recently.
    This does not help!

Fuck you parrots!

19. MisterBritish says:

Bah, I just tried the non-violent herding approach, and as soon as I got one into the zone it crashed.

Why can’t we be allowed to just get along? *sniff*

20. Muzman says:

This is another one of those games that really needs a demo recording capability so I can watch everyone else play.
    I’ve thought some of my sad 500k games were pretty eventful and funny. Getting 5 million in kills alone must be something to see.

21. phuzz says:

Only a bit of slowdown here on a A64 3700 and nVidia 6800 (ie, quite old school), perhaps it’s a function of internet connection rather than processing power?

Personally I really missed having a handbrake button :(

22. terry says:

Painful slowdown here – 6800GTS however, so its probably down to shadows or reflections or somesuch witchcraft. The game itself is a lot of fun and reminds me a lot of repeated insane stunt attempts in the GTA games. All that’s needed now is some graphics config settings so my card doesn’t cry and the inevitable multiplayer mode ;)

23. Sensei_Fuji says:

interesting, it ran beutifully on my rig. but when i consider my system, its like a god among mortals…
    Geforce 8600 GT, intel core 2 duo processer, 2gigs of ram etc. etc.

24. Worm says:

Yeah, do the people with 2000 dollar computers even need to confirm it’s running well on their machines? I can run Oblivion without slowdowns but not this, obviously the problem is not on my side.

25. Catboy85 says:

This must just be a terrible graphics engine because it runs the same speed on my machine as the supposed “dinosaurs” mentioned earlier, between 5 and 30 frames per second

Specs: AMD Athlon 2400 (2ghz), 512Mbs of ram, Geforce 4 MX 64Mbs allocated memory, Windows XP.

With these specs I shouldn’t even be able to run the game, let alone play it! Talk about a crappy system huh. Yet I’m able to play it pretty well:)

26. Unbound says:

Here’s what I don’t understand. You can’t cook up the roadkill. I mean, what’s the point of running something over if you can’t eat it!

Gotta run. My dinner’s ready, and that possum sure smells good!