Solar Empire Goes Gold and… ooh look at that!

By Kieron Gillen on January 30th, 2008 at 5:22 pm.

In celebration of Sins of the Solar Empire going gold, Stardock release a set of shots from the final build, pictures of the box and general office stuff. This includes – I quote – “Stardock’s “wall of synergy” covered with concept art for next major 4X game…”. Which looks like this!

Stardocking, across the universe, etc.
Click to examine the wall of synergy in greater detail. May, I wish we had a wall of synergy.

As well as Society, there’s been mumblings about what Stardock are up to the idea of a fantasy 4X game was touched upon. If a mass of people with magical swords are any judge, we’d say that’s definitely underway. Post-Peggle, we especially approve of the vicious looking pink unicorn. You may take this as a cue to speculate randomly about what the makers of one of the best strategy games of the last few years could bring to the moribund post-Heroes of Might and Magic 4X game and/or say “Actually, I think you’ll find its a red unicorn” in the comments thread.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Garth says:

I was just making a raised-brow at that rather fiery looking unicorn…

2. Will Tomas says:

Actually, I think you’ll find it’s a red unicorn.

Sorry.

3. Turin Turambar says:

It’s the new Master of Mag.. i mean Master of Fantasy, Kingdoms, Spells, Mana or some other noun.

4. Nick says:

Hmm, I’d love another game in the style of Age of Wonders/2 (or, indeed, Master of Magic of which AoW was a blatant updating).

It was much better than Heroes of Might and Magic. But then I loved HoMM 2 & 3 to death as well.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

I agree – AoW2 was the last thing in that genre which was worth genuine love. The world desperately needs a modern Fantasy 4X “thing”.

KG

6. mezz says:

Any one know if there is likely to be a demo?

7. SwiftRanger says:

Of Sins you mean, mezz? I think so yeah.

8. Homunculus says:

Kieron: Oh, I dunno, whilst I love me some Shadow Magic, Fall from Heaven 2’s pretty lovely. Unless we’re only counting commercial releases for some reason.

9. Troy Goodfellow says:

“fiery looking unicorn”

The adjective you are looking for is “flaming”. But then that applies to all unicorns.

10. Kieron Gillen says:

Yeah, I admit, I was. Bad me.

(I still haven’t played it)

KG

11. Okami says:

It’s quite defintely pink. Many shades of pink, some darker, some lighter, but it’s still an unmistakeably pink unicorn. What an awesome game.

“Sins Of A Pink Unicorn – A Real Time Fantasy 4X”

I’m allready sold…

12. Nick says:

Fall From Heaven 2 is a great stop gap, but it’s sort of at odds with itself in places – it’s all dark fantasy with serious back stories and stuff, then it has Guybrush Threepwood in it. That jars terribly. Still great fun but I prefer more control over my battles in my fantasy strategy games, the Civ engines focus was never on in depth combat by any stretch.

As for the unicorns, well.. “I don’t wanna sound like a queer or nothin’ but Unicorns really kick ass.”

13. Acosta says:

Master of Magic! Master of Magic ! Master of Magic!

It shouldn’t be that hard. Galactic Civilizations 2 “gets” what make these games great to their players and I am sure they can manage to put some interesting twists. Master of Magic had some serious balance problems (which is not a problem to make it of of my most beloved games). I loved all that possibilities, I loved to have tons of spells, to create my own magic devices, to control different types of races (each with their own types of units and differentiated buildings), to build my cities and watch them grow and, of course, to have a direct input in battle.

In fact, the problem of Master of Magic it’s exactly what made it great for me, it was so vast, it had so many options and possibilities that it didn’t need a perfectly controlled and balanced campaign. I want more of that, more of that unpredictability. The actual games may be better products, but I miss the “shooting for the moon” approach, that innocence produced many overambitious almost unplayable games, but when worked, it was fantastic.

14. Nick says:

Yeah, if you liked Master of Magic you’ll like Age of Wonders series, it’s basically the same game but with more stuff.

15. Binni says:

Some time ago Stardock tried and failed in getting the “Master of Magic” license. This new MOM type game has been rumored as their next product for quite some time. Apparently it’s the long awaited sequel/evolved Master of Magic, albeit without the name. Let’s hope that they get the rights to the name, which would be awesome.

16. Okami says:

I have hazy memories of Masters of Magic as best.. I remember enjoying the game immensely though..

I was a total warhammer geek and Warlords fan back then and having a fantasy empire building game, where I could train different units of different races was just brilliant.

It was a bit broken though, I think. Heroes were incredibly powerfull and I had at least two heroes with so many movement and other bonuses stacked on them that they and their armies could cover ridiculous amounts of ground each turn and defeat everything in their way.

But I guess I never played it on it’s hardest difficult setting. Anyways, I’m off to the home of the underdogs now, to see if I can grab it there..

Let’s take a stroll on memory lane, shall we…

EDIT: Yup, it’s there. Now let’s hope DOS-Box can run this. Oh, and I paid good money for it back then, so I’m not doing anything illegal here!

17. martin says:

must get soase, can’t resist

18. Okami says:

Just spent a bit more than two hours playing Master of Magic. Yup, still a great game. Though I spent a good part of the first hour just clicking next turn and changing the build order of my initial town.

Still, this definitely needs a contemporary remake. I’m not salivating on my keyboard at the thought of Stardock doing just that, but only because that would be incredibly stupid. But you might say, that I’m giddy with anticipation.

Sins looks very promising too. I once bought Hegemonia, thinking that it would be something like Masters of Orion in real time and was rather disappointed to find out, that it was something else entirely… I guess it still was a good game, but it really wasn’t what I was looking for, so I never got into it..

19. malkav11 says:

Brad Wardell has specifically said they’re making a spiritual sequel to Master of Magic (or at least a fantasy 4X with some similar themes) over on Quarter to Three. Though it sounds a ways off yet.

I think Fall From Heaven (as inextricably Civ-ish as it is, being a mod for Civ IV and all) is closer to the Master of Magic feel than any of the Age of Wonders games, which are entirely scenario-based and thus completely lack the wide-open empire-building of Master of Magic. Plus they’re insanely hard, or I suck, one of the two. I find that I can only afford one decent stack and so the computer just goes around attacking whatever my stack’s not near and I never make any actual forwards progress. Anyone who would like to direct me to some help in that regards will receive effusive gratitude…

20. Scott says:

“The world desperately needs a modern Fantasy 4X “thing”.”

It has one. Dominions 3. Last fantasy TBS game you’ll ever need.

21. Unspeakable Horror says:

It’s not “empire building” though.