Games For 2008: Lego Batman / Indiana Jones

By John Walker on February 1st, 2008 at 1:41 pm.

See in that cage over there? Those are our hearts. Yours too, probably. Traveller’s Tales have captured them, probably for nefarious purposes.

TT seem to somehow have time to make two games at once, when we know we’d be swimming around in the vast pools of money Warner just paid to acquire the company. £100 million. Blimey.

indy pic

There’s a limit to how many times you can reel out the same idea before people start to get cynical. Fortunately, for the Lego series, there’s probably about another four hundred before they’re in trouble. What’s even better is that TT seem to have picked the two films anyone could have hoped to see recreated in Legoey gaming form: Indiana Jones and Batman.

So here’s what we know about each new game:

Lego Indiana Jones

Indy

Following a similar format to both Lego Star Wars games, Lego Indy will follow the content of the first three films, homaging and spoofing the most famous scenes. It will also obey the Holy Rule of Making an Indiana Jones Videogame: have Indy be able to use his whip to swing from platform to platform.

How can we be less than excited about playing the boulder scene, or dodging snakes, or riding in a mine cart? The Indy films have everything that’s necessary for a Lego Star Wars-a-like game to work, so it would seem silly not to set hopes high.

They’ve released the cheesiest trailer imaginable, which has a brief glimpse of game footage at the end.

Game Trailers, we’d walk through pits of snakes for you.

Lego Batman

batman

A lot less is known about Lego Batman. However, the early indications are that it’s going to deviate quite a lot from the format of Star Wars and Indy. Instead, we think it’s going to feature an open, explorable Gotham City, where you can play as either Batman or Robin to capture the famous collection of enemies.

batman pic

As always made for the best episodes of the TV series, the game will begin with all of his best foes managing to escape from the Arkham Asylum at once. So you’ll be able to track down and recapture The Joker, Penguin and so on, and eventually play as them. It’s also going to include Batman’s gadgets, and vehicles designed to encourage co-op play.

Beyond that, we don’t know. A GTA-style open city Lego game just sounds fantastic, especially with TT’s tradition for making all characters playable, and their unique abilities opening up new areas previously inaccessible. Let’s hope this is what they deliver. A teeny teaser has been released, with no game footage, but thankfully some silliness. Enjoy.

Holy thanks to Gametrailers.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Meat Circus says:

DO WANT.

That is all.

2. Tim! says:

I would pay good money for a Lego Star Wars Steampunk game.

3. James says:

I second Meat Circus.

Lego Batman in particular has caught my interest of late. Combining the tongue-in-cheek self-deprecation of the Adam West era Batman TV series with that seen in Lego Star Wars could well make for some fantastic moments.

4. KingMob says:

I love these games are out there but feel no interest in playing them. I rented the Star Wars one for a bit but got bored with the (gameplay? mechanics? mechanicistics? stuff you do in it).

But recently a friend at the office asked me for game suggestions for his young children to play on their new Wii, and my mind went right to the Lego games. So basically, for me these games are out there so kids can play them as a gateway to the harder stuff.

5. Meat Circus says:

@KingMob:

Friends + Alcohol + Lego Star Wars = Win.

6. Alec Meer says:

I demand Lego Transformers. Bleedin’ obvious, seeing as Tellale have already put out that absolutely wretched Transformers game.

7. Andrew says:

“Brix new ground”

Those Americans have no shame, and are terrible at puns. I lament hearing that :(

I liked the humour of the Lego Star Wars, they were fun to play in co-op, we’ll have to see how these are (Indiana Jones is pretty much a loner hero right? I guess he gets a few sidekicks now and again…)

8. Fat Zombie says:

@Tim: Which one? There doesn’t seem to be a model at 2:47, Feb 1.

9. Mouj says:

These cheesy trailers are hilarious. Me wants, me wants !! I was wondering what they’d do next, as i was pretty sure it could not be left to Lego Star Wars…
    Lego Transformers… or Lego Of The Rings, anyone ?

10. LRa2oR says:

I personally would go crazy mental over a Lego Ghostbusters game. Think how cute a lego slimer would look?! Or Staypuff!

Plus… 4 player coop :)

11. malkav11 says:

Lego Mad Max?

12. Rogue says:

Lego Indy needs Nazis. Lots and lots of Nazis.

13. Optimaximal says:

Need I say any more?

Wow… Would be interesting to see how they did the Queen of Blades.

Lego Indiana Jones looks to be a great laugh and i’ll definitely buy into the Batman one if it lives up to the hype – true co-op for the PC kthxbye since you screwed us over with the Lego SW Saga.

The Lego Star Wars games were great, although I think the first was more pure ‘fun’ (even if it was based on the weaker films – the original trilogy just seemed to add features for the sake of it.

14. Jens Arnesen says:

I would kill for an American Psycho lego game.

15. terry says:

After fighting the camera through 2 Lego games I am well prepared to do it with 2 more >:(

Edit: also I require Lego Games Industry, if only to swap Sid and Warren’s heads.

16. Mitch Small says:

My vote goes for Lego Lovecraft.

But I’d settle for Lego Doom or Lego Orange Box.

17. gitty says:

ps3 is best

18. Wwe Ryan says:

there is two lego bat man games one has batman and robin swinging and saying lego batman the game, the other is just black with just the words lego batman the game. whats the diffrence just diffrent backgrounds on the front or what?

19. PaydayRic says: